Talk

Advanced search

Help me spend my 40th birthday budget please!

(6 Posts)
ARichVernacular Sun 08-Nov-15 20:28:52

I'm 40 next month. As part of the celebrations, DH is taking me out for dinner, followed by a night in a posh hotel. This is really the main bit of the birthday for me, as it's what I specifically asked for grin We have two small children so I told him I want to feel grown up and fabulous for a night.

We are going out with my best pal and my SIL, plus their respective other halves. Both other couples are childfree and very stylish - SIL in a timeless way, bestie in a supercool yet grown up way.

I am 5'4", a 10-12 on top and 12-14 on bottom, fairly nice shape but with a spare type/mum tum. Dark hair, tan/yellow toned skin, blue eyes. Suit strong colours, nothing fluttery.

I have about £200 to spend and I want to look stylish but not too overdone. The trouble is, I have no idea what to buy! Have fallen in love with this DVF dress but that's my whole budget and I still need shoes, bag, coat...also I have no idea whether it would suit. It's the kind of thing my (tall, athletic) best mate would slay in. I am not tall or athletic.

So please, help me, advise me. Tell me what you'd wear to a grown up dinner and cocktails. Anything!

CrepeDeChineWag Mon 09-Nov-15 07:35:32

Bumping for you.

You could try eBay for a dvf dress or similar.

mumchkin Mon 09-Nov-15 07:56:00

The dress is fabulous and I think would look really good on just about anyone. Could you pair it with accessories you already have? Nice to have one special designer item I think.

MytwinisMilaKunis Mon 09-Nov-15 12:07:14

There is a 20% discount for the outnet I think that is still valid. I read about it on Poppy's style blog. I am on my phone so can't link to it for you.

MytwinisMilaKunis Mon 09-Nov-15 12:09:00

Sorry just checked and I think the code has expired. Put the name of the address into shopstyle. You may get it cheaper elsewhere

ARichVernacular Wed 11-Nov-15 17:43:28

Thanks everyone smile

I've ordered the dress, eek! Looked again and they've sold out of 12s, so I thought I'd betterl try the 14 (I am kind of inbetween) and see if I like it/it likes me - can always return if not.

One good thing is that it won't need much accessorising, because of the detail, and I can always find less expensive shoes/clutch.

Have also been looking around - very taken with this stunner from Reiss but it's even more expensive than the DvF.

I didn't really want a black dress but everything I like most seems to be black hmm confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now