Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

had another DONT BUY IT moment in Marks shoes today. Lady with the daughter and the knee boots

(84 Posts)
BrendaandEddie Sun 08-Nov-15 19:18:20

DONT LISTEN TO HER

the boots looked terrible. They made your legs look bigger and just shit.
DONT wear them around the house first to get them to loosen up, they didnt fit or suit

get a cool ankle boot instead.
And get a new daughter

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 08-Nov-15 19:22:48

Some people just aren't confident about what to wear.
She either thinks she looks good so leave her to it. Or she also thinks her legs look shit and would be really upset to think that a stranger wanted to tell mumsnet about how shit she looks.
Not nice sad

BrendaandEddie Sun 08-Nov-15 19:39:56

oh get over your sad face

we all make judgments all day long

CuffsAndCollar Sun 08-Nov-15 19:42:35

This is one of those 'at least she can get different boots' times.

Trills Sun 08-Nov-15 19:45:31

Did the daughter genuinely think it looked good?

Or did the daughter want the mum to look shit?

Or had the mum been dithering in every shop and was finally likely to buy something so the daughter was just please pick anything can we go for lunch now?

BrendaandEddie Sun 08-Nov-15 19:47:43

the mum was bothered and hassled. Daughter was doing a good pitch on they actually make your legs look slim hmm

Mum less than pleased.. Mum was a small size 16 with chunky thighs.
IMO ( only before you all jump on me) if you have chunky legs dont have knee high boots with jeans tucked in

WhatamessIgotinto Sun 08-Nov-15 23:21:08

OP you're right of course, we all judge people every day. As a matter of fact, I'm judging you right now.

futureme Sun 08-Nov-15 23:25:15

I'm large .I'd wear knee high boots if i could get the blinking things to zip up. I like feeling "covered up" and with tights/leggings and a dress feel less exposed.

WhataRacquet Sun 08-Nov-15 23:26:41

grin get a new daughter made me laugh

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 08-Nov-15 23:28:13

I wonder if people referred to in this type of post are MNers and have read it.

We do make judgements, OP, but we don't always need to vocalise them.

Dancergirl Sun 08-Nov-15 23:38:40

What's the point of this post??

BrendaandEddie Mon 09-Nov-15 07:18:15

Yours? No idea.

AmberNectarine Mon 09-Nov-15 07:48:26

Oh chill out people - it's light hearted!

Worse than family members are lying shop assistants. I see it all the time.

LittleCandle Mon 09-Nov-15 07:53:13

futureme try Simply Be. They do 5 different calf widths, so boots to fit everyone!

BrendaandEddie Mon 09-Nov-15 08:01:18

I wanted to say to her "no! Go ankle". Not those boots with cleated backs

Remembermyname Mon 09-Nov-15 08:06:38

How old was the daughter? And shoe size? Bet she was actually eyeing up the boots for herself.
I have told someone in a shop they looked fabulous. Never had the guts to say don't do it

Angelina321 Mon 09-Nov-15 08:12:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WheresMyBurrito Mon 09-Nov-15 08:15:11

IMO wear what the fuck you want and don't listen to judgey arseholes on the Internet.

But y'know.

Just lighthearted or whatever.

BrendaandEddie Mon 09-Nov-15 08:22:06

You're on s&b mate

WheresMyBurrito Mon 09-Nov-15 08:26:28

Ohh I see. Tbh I don't see why that means you get to be a dick about other women's bodies like hmm

BrendaandEddie Mon 09-Nov-15 08:27:18

On the same basis as preppers topic which I don't like... So hide it then

lurkingfromhome Mon 09-Nov-15 08:39:03

I was in M&S last Christmas and saw/heard an elderly lady hold up a polyester jumper with a giant cowl neck in the worst shade of brown I have ever seen and ask the assistant, "Now, do you think this would be suitable for my 15 year old granddaughter?" The assistant was all "YESSSSS. I think she would absolutely LOVE it!"

I wanted to wrench it from her and go "You are obviously a very very kind granny and it is a lovely thought but PLEASE for the love of god do not listen to this shop assistant who only wants a sale out of you. Put the brown cowl neck down and go and buy her a voucher in River Island instead..."

AmberNectarine Mon 09-Nov-15 08:53:45

Doesn't sound like the lady in question did want the boots if she needed to be talked into them by her daughter though! I'm all for people wearing what they want, as long as it covers the relevant body parts, but equally I don't think people should just say someone looks great in something 'to be nice'. It's not a favour in the long term.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Mon 09-Nov-15 08:57:21

Maybe the daughter doesn't want her parents to visit at xmas and is hatching some dastardly knee high boot death for her poor old ma

MorrisZapp Mon 09-Nov-15 09:03:10

I've got large calves too but I refuse to wear any boot that has clearly been adapted to suit bigger legs. Fabric insertsinserts, elastic sides, buckles etc all just scream 'big leg boots' to me.

Likewise those jeans to flatter your arse with angled seams above the back pockets. 'hello, I bought these to try to make my bum smaller' .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now