Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is it time for a "best leggings" thread?

(27 Posts)
User543212345 Fri 06-Nov-15 20:38:02

Can I have some recommendations please - I'm very fussy though. I love the Sainsburys £10 per pair ones - the high, thick waistband and decent fabric were great. Add in the reasonable price and I was happy as could be.

Unfortunately they don't come in my size, so I need to find a new supplier of leggings for people with high waists, hips that step out suddenly rather than curve out gracefully/gently, and wear a size 6.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

TheSpottedZebra Fri 06-Nov-15 20:40:33

Dammit. I was going to say the Sainsburys ones.

PetiteBateau Fri 06-Nov-15 21:17:26

H & m

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 06-Nov-15 21:34:48

I haven't worn them but American Apparell are well reviewed.
I went to the Westfield Stratford store but I really didn't like anything there.
Maybe I'm too old and haggy.
It all seemed a bit young'n'shiney

notapizzaeater Fri 06-Nov-15 21:36:41

Snap was going to suggest Sainsburys confused

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 06-Nov-15 21:36:51

My DD is a 6-8 .
She likes her Uniqlo leggings (I think she buys XS size)
H&M
TopShop

She has some NewLook ones but they don't wear as well

NewBallsPlease00 Fri 06-Nov-15 23:14:57

do sainsburys do older kids ones in a large enough size in same quality?

HappenstanceMarmite Fri 06-Nov-15 23:51:39

Are the Sainsburys leggings thick? I don't like it when you can see the Lycra shining through.

Fallulah Fri 06-Nov-15 23:51:58

I was also going to say Sainsburys! Dorothy Perkins aren't bad. Definitely not New Look unless you like the see through with baggy knees look.

notapizzaeater Fri 06-Nov-15 23:54:51

Sainsburys do two types, the 2 for £12 aren't that thick, but the luxury ones for £10 are fab, lovely and think, no see through bits wash well and hold there shape.

Polgara2 Sat 07-Nov-15 09:10:53

Watching with interest as both dds are a size 6 and finding thick enough leggings that won't cost me a fortune (because one pair isn't enough is it!) is a headache. Amazingly the fleece lined ones from Primark have been quite successful and washed well but they're a bit short for dd2.

CointreauVersial Sat 07-Nov-15 12:30:25

Next ones are pretty good, nice and thick with a solid waistband. £18-20 if I remember correctly.

Savagebeauty Sat 07-Nov-15 12:31:24

Yes I was going to mention Next.
They are really thick

DragonboysMum Sat 07-Nov-15 12:34:06

I think my thicker ones are next but have a few Dorothy Perkins ones too which aren't awful.

polyhymnia Sat 07-Nov-15 12:39:34

I just stick with Biden which I find very good.

polyhymnia Sat 07-Nov-15 12:39:45

Boden!

polyhymnia Sat 07-Nov-15 12:41:17

But then I don't wear leggings in winter but more substantial jeggings. Again go for Boden ones but lots of people on here swear by M and S.

Verypissedoffwife Sat 07-Nov-15 12:45:54

What's the sizing like on the Sainsburys leggings? I'm a size 8 or 10 in next but they're quite generous I find. Should I order a size 12?

User543212345 Sat 07-Nov-15 12:50:30

Thanks for the advice so far!

Uniqlo aren't high waisted enough for me - I either end up with a front wedgie or the elastic below my waist, which is annoying as I think their other stuff is marvellous and fits really well.
Will try H&M, DP, Boden and Topshop.

How do the next sizes come up for their leggings? I find them so generous in most things and the 6 is generally too big. Frustrating.

Very I find Sainsburys sizing quite generous so don't size up, whatever you do. They're very similar, in my experience to Next/Gap/M&S.

Verypissedoffwife Sat 07-Nov-15 13:02:21

Thanks sweary

I'm not a fan of the next leggings. The last ones I bought were very thin - more like tights really. That was over a year ago though so they may have improved.

divere Sat 07-Nov-15 23:55:10

River Island are the best I've managed to find. They were a bit pricey I think, but they've got a lovely thick panel high waist band, they're tight fitting and thick. I'm a 6 also. I did also find some in Asda too which fitted well but not high waisted.

Lurleene Sun 08-Nov-15 00:01:28

I am currently wearing a pair of Fatface leggings and can see my thighs through the material so I wouldn't recommend them sad

User543212345 Thu 12-Nov-15 13:08:19

I thought I'd come back and update after a mostly frustrating experience on Oxford Street.

I found that lots of the thicker leggings either had random seams on them or shirred elastic waists which I hate so I didn't find quite what I was after. I did, however, come up trumps in Primark! Their cosy leggings (£5) were thick, high waisted and fit perfectly. Recommend them rather highly!

Vaia Thu 12-Nov-15 13:20:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ThatIsSoFetch Thu 12-Nov-15 13:38:53

Only just saw this thread but was going to recommend Primark- I have their fleece lined leggings and I love them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: