Talk

Advanced search

Grown up backpack/rucksack

(18 Posts)
Fallulah Fri 06-Nov-15 20:24:31

I'm a teacher and my current, beautiful Zatchel is just too big and heavy. Looking for a backpack that will enable me to transport a whole set of books (ours are all A4) easily plus some other bits and bobs. Not one with a laptop pocket as I don't use one - need a big space for books.

Not looking for sporty or quirky - need to leave that to the kids! I quite like some of the leather ones on ASOS but can't spend £150 and the straps look a bit flimsy.

I did consider one of those wheely boxes but my classroom is up a flight of stairs and we don't have a lift, so I'd rather put the heavy stuff on my back.

Anyone seen anything that might fit the bill?

DontKillMyVibe Fri 06-Nov-15 20:40:28

There's loads on this blog post

backpacks

Fallulah Fri 06-Nov-15 22:15:54

Hmmm. That's the thing - I don't want a briefcase on my back. I want a backpack, but a nice backpack. Sorry, I know I am being fussy. Thanks for helping me narrow it down though!

MrsBertMacklin Fri 06-Nov-15 22:19:23

Have you looked at a Kanken?

AvonleaAnne Fri 06-Nov-15 23:07:40

Some of these backpacks look nice.

www.thehealthybackbag.co.uk

Fallulah Fri 06-Nov-15 23:39:42

Thank you smile

Hadn't seen the Kankens before. They're a bit functional/boxlike for my liking.

Those healthy back bags are lovely but the shape means I wouldn't get the books in.

I like this, if it were in a nice soft brown leather, and without the monkey.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipling-Firefly-N-Backpack-In-Soft-Khaki-C-BNWT-69-/221923872162?hash=item33abb18da2:g:eJwAAOSw14xWLl4y

And I like both the leather and, strangely, the spotted backpacks on this page, but I've had two Fatface bags in the past which haven't lasted long before bits of them broke, so something similar from somewhere else might be good:
www.fatface.com/page/search?q=backpack

catdoodles Fri 06-Nov-15 23:57:16

When I need to use a back pack I use my DS old karrimor, or at the weekend tip out all his crap and use his nike one. Nice and light and durable.

No point in carrying the extra weight from a leather backpack, it might look good but it will pull on the shoulders.

catdoodles Sat 07-Nov-15 00:05:24

Sorry I'm not much help really but if you are lugging around a load of books you really do need a tough but light weight backpack.

You won't care what it looks like so long as you are not in pain.

My work bag is a cross over the shoulder black leather number and I love it.

But if I have to carry lots of work stuff it goes into the simple back pack I had to nick off my DS for practicality reasons.

FrustratedFrugal Sat 07-Nov-15 06:45:15

I love a dark denim Herschel on for hauling stuff, it is sturdy but not heavy. COS and Rains are also worth a look. My daily backpack is a gray € 3.95 nylon one from Decathlon, it is weightless and blends with my outfits.

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Nov-15 06:59:09

brown leather rucksack, other variations on size and colour on that website.

I agree though that leather rucksacks are v heavy. I use a plain black Jansport rucksack for carrying loads to work. Very light and durable (is 15 years old!).

Bolshybookworm Sat 07-Nov-15 06:59:34

Have a look at mandarina duck. Pricey, but indestructible. My DH has an over the shoulder bag and it's amazing. Loads of room and looks as new as when I bought it for him 5 years ago.

Bolshybookworm Sat 07-Nov-15 07:01:26

I also use a jansport. They're brill (mine is 10 yrs old now).

legalalien Sat 07-Nov-15 07:37:19

A Crumpler maybe?

www.crumpler.eu/all-bags/backpacks

I know the messenger bags are very hardwearing so probably the backpacks are similar.

Saurus72 Sat 07-Nov-15 08:06:56

I have a Kipling backpack for travelling and it's fantastic - light, strong, a mini tardis. Plus you can wash them so they're very low maintenance. Amazon often do really good deals, or if you're near an outlet village like Bicester you will be able to get a bargain. Please remove the stupid monkey key ring though, what's that all about hmm

Helenluvsrob Sat 07-Nov-15 09:01:15

Got a kanken. Yep it's boxy but it's a dream to carry and weatherproof. Function wins for me in backpacks.

Had a cath kidston one too. That was pretty good though a bit more sweaty about the back if you carry heavy loads and walk a lot.

Kipling was good but after a few washes ( it did get grubby) lost all water resistance and virtually sucked rain in. Very strong though. Eldest using it for uni now !

Be warned with Kipling I bought and returned one ( was it a Seoul ?) that had a stiffener that created a lump in the laptop compartment and seemed a feet bad idea indeed!

Fallulah Sat 07-Nov-15 09:33:23

I be got two Crumpler camera bags - should have thought of that brand! Lots more investigating for me to do - thanks all!

rageagainsttheBIL Sat 07-Nov-15 13:35:39

I have a men's very plain, smart and cheap one from M&S.

Really comfy and well made too.

Fallulah Sat 07-Nov-15 16:53:19

I was strongly tempted by another Crumpler, Kankens started to grow on me but in the end I've ordered a nice dark blue Herschel. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now