Talk

Advanced search

Interview dress help for architects/interior design

(9 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Fri 06-Nov-15 16:57:09

After 7 years out of architecture (where I happily worked for 7 years before) i've just registered with a creative agency to find jobs as PA/secretary/office manager in architects practices/interior design.

I don't really have a clue what to wear should i get an interview. I've got a new FOX black 3/4 length sleeve dress with 2 metal zip faux pockets, black oasis blazer (bought last month) and shoes I can source. However what else? A neon necklace? I have an orange and gold squared pendant.

I do have a Cos checked blouse, cos red skirt and &otherstories blue peplum blouse and &other stories black skirt.

Don't want to spend too much but don't want to be out of place. The recruiter today was wearing bright eyeliner (metallic green) should I do similar? Got fab MAC orange eyeshadow can use as eyeliner.

Thanks for any advice! smile

OneHandFlapping Fri 06-Nov-15 17:17:11

I would go with your black dress and jacket for interview and the orange and gold pendant. Black is a great interview colour - both formal and at the same time cool.

And no to the orange eyeliner - you don't want to be remembered for being wacky, but for being knowledgeable, so stick with boring makeup.

If you get the job, you can splash out on new clothes that fit in with the office vibe, and play with different makeup looks.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 06-Nov-15 17:26:49

Thanks onehand i did hear recently on MN S&B to wear a brighter colour dress for an interview as you'd be remembered. Bad advice?

KateSpadeAddict Fri 06-Nov-15 17:39:13

I’d say to wear something to make you memorable. So if you are going to go for the black then i’d wear a pretty stand out necklace/scarf or something. When i’ve interviewed people if you are doing 6 or so in a row I end up remembering people from small details such like the one with the hot pink nails or the one with the red handbag. I obviously have very detailed notes from the interviews but when you are deciding after about the person to employ I almost find it easier to visualise those people who had something stand out about them...but I am a very visual person grin

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 06-Nov-15 17:51:06

Ooh that's tricky. I would normally say go for colour, because it's a creative/visual industry but architects are pretty well known for wearing black aren't they (I know that's a massive generalisation smile).

I would agree with wearing something memorable - BUT I would probably say not orange eyeliner as it's quite an unusual look and could cross the line to being memorable for bad reasons! But, I got offered two new jobs recently wearing a damson purple suit and a patterned mulberry scarf - you don't need to be boring.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 06-Nov-15 19:34:23

Statistically I plan to wear the black out fit at one interview and something else at another, should I get a zingy (maybe neon accent?) top (Cos etc) or will my other options in original post cut it?

Or any ideas or links anyone?!

cashmerecardigans Fri 06-Nov-15 20:19:05

I'd say black plus fab necklace. Don't go too mad, best advice I ever had was I could wear whatever I wanted when I had the job. I interview quite a lot and to be honest a lot of it passes me by unless someone is wearing something completely outlandish so go simple, classy and focus on what you want to say.
Good luck!

cashmerecardigans Fri 06-Nov-15 20:21:07

Ps my sis is an architect and wears a lot of black so I'd just go simple and don't worry, what you say matters moresmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now