Talk

Advanced search

Teen bra measurements are confusing me

(7 Posts)
SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Thu 05-Nov-15 16:18:06

Admittedly it doesn't take much...

I brought my dd (13) some new bras yesterday. She wore one today and is overflowing the cup. I'm trying to use the mn measuring guide which is suggesting that she is 34G which I can't think is right. There's not a massive overspill from her new 34C but she is measuring 33inches under bust and 42 inches over bust (bent over)

I would at this point normally have just given up and taken her to be measured professionally but she is dead set against the idea so I'm looking for help from you wise mnetters. What size should I be buying?

fieldfare Thu 05-Nov-15 16:22:38

From the measurements I'd begin with trying a 34f and see how it fits. My daughter is the same age and wearing a 34e at the moment and it fits well.

The measurements suggest a starting point of a 32G/GG or a 34FF/G. Have you tried scooping in the 34C to make sure all the breast tissue is in the cup?

Teens can sometimes measure bigger than they are, as their breast tissue is often quite concentrated in one area - sometimes the breasts can be quite...pointy?! so whilst the measurement around the biggest part might be consistent with a bigger size, the overall breast volume isn't.

If she's fitting averse could you take her to somewhere like Debenhams which would have those sizes and everything below and just take a load in and try them on?

SleepIsForTheWeakAnyway Thu 05-Nov-15 18:09:51

Thank you both. It looks like I'll have to definitely take her to try some on which, when suggested, turns out to be the most tragic suggestion ever lol

fieldfare Thu 05-Nov-15 21:33:47

Could you sweeten the deal with hot chocolate and cake after the ordeal? Good luck!

mysteryfairy Fri 06-Nov-15 23:05:17

I'd take her to bravissimo. I have a 13 year old with a very ample bosom (34E). I felt quite lost with sorting her out, partly as we have very different figures and I just couldn't get my head round her size, more the 34 back as I'm a 28 and just couldn't believe she could be so much bigger at 13. They were really good. She had an appointment booked but as soon as they saw her and that she was reluctant they swapped out the fitter in the diary for a young and fairly busty member of staff. It is an expensive way to buy bras for someone who's size is liable to rapid change so I now just buy one in store and then more of the style she's been fitted to on eBay. We've also bought bras in primark - teenage rite of passage apparently - using the fitted size as a starting point, otherwise she would insist X is a 34a so I must be too and I just couldn't fit her from scratch.

mysteryfairy Fri 06-Nov-15 23:10:05

I bribe DD with lunch, make up, shoes etc. I think when you are that size at 13 it's incredibly important to be well fitted as you're already going to stand out and be slightly self conscious. DD is pretty tall too. We've had tears and protest and massive reluctance. I go to an obscure destination where we are unlikely to see anyone from school!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now