Talk

Advanced search

can I un- shrink a jumper?

(12 Posts)
SauvignonPlonker Wed 04-Nov-15 19:14:17

I've stupidly just shrunk one of my favourite jumpers in the wash. It's made of 70% viscose +. 30% wool; I normally wash it on the wool cycle. But I accidentally washed it on the cotton wash & it has shrunk by a size.

Is there anything I can do?

Orangeanddemons Wed 04-Nov-15 19:15:38

No, it's permanent. The scales in the wool lock together which is what makes it shrink.

GinandJag Wed 04-Nov-15 19:16:31

Give it to your DD.

SauvignonPlonker Wed 04-Nov-15 19:18:07

DD is 2.5! Maybe I'll donate it to my thinner sister.

amarmai Thu 05-Nov-15 00:32:53

i'd try wet stretching it ,over any large enuf non porous object e.g. backs of 2 wooden chairs, large bucket---

pdxs Fri 06-Nov-15 00:11:50

second wet stretching... soak in a COLD (room temp) water which a generous glug of fabric conditioner in it ... I would suggest you actually get it wet and then pull over yourself to get a decent fit, and 'push out' by running your hand over your arm etc (under the sleeve) to get a bit of room in it

- in the shower obvs smile then lay to dry flat or over a chair etc

one size you should be fine.. if it is doll size then you would have problems

mumprocrastinating Fri 06-Nov-15 00:32:20

Maybe. I've had success with un-shrinking pure wool by soaking it in cool water with lots of hair conditioner in, then stretching and blocking it.

Bromeliad Fri 06-Nov-15 08:20:25

Try soaking it in white vinegar, if it's not too close knit I've found that it can work wonders. You'll need to rinse it a few times in cool water to get the smell out though!

HoneyDragon Fri 06-Nov-15 08:23:10

Yes, I've rescued three with soaks in cheap hair conditioner then stretching gently and then washing with loads of fabric conditioner and wool detergent and drying flat to rescue the shape.

The only last damage on one is that it was about 5mm shorter on the hem

Greengardenpixie Fri 06-Nov-15 09:05:23

Plenty of you tube videos on wet stretching. Ive never done it but it seems to work.

OrchidFlakes Fri 06-Nov-15 09:21:57

Try a cold soak (overnight) then gently hand stretch and drip dry

SauvignonPlonker Fri 06-Nov-15 18:31:42

Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now