Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mascara

(33 Posts)
Lilipot15 Tue 03-Nov-15 10:17:27

So after a misguided trial with Younique - I got sucked into buying some mascara having seen the host show how it transformed her lashes. It did the same to mine, but at the end of the day I had little bits under my eyes and they still feel gritty like bits of fibre went in them.

I usually use Estée Lauder double wear but but disappointed with latest one as it's dried out quite quickly.

I don't wear much make up (which begs the question why did I go to a Younique party?!) but like to wear mascara as I am fair skinned and it makes me look awake.

Any tips? I walk a lot so it needs to be water-resistant in case of rain.

iwantgin Tue 03-Nov-15 10:22:03

My new favourite is the Benefit They're Real.

It doesn't budge - looks good on- not TOO false.

I have a brown and a black.

You need an excellent remover though - it really is difficult to get off.(the Benefit one stings my eyes, so I use the new NIvea remover which is also much cheaper )

mintbiscuit Tue 03-Nov-15 10:32:11

I've tried so many mascaras. Diorshow is the best for volume but it always flakes on me!

I second the benefit one too. No flakes for me and gives nice length.

squoosh Tue 03-Nov-15 10:42:45

If you don't wear much makeup I wouldn't go for a dramatic style mascara.

This Natural Collection one is great for a natural look. It's also waterproof.

extrastrongblackcoffee Tue 03-Nov-15 11:39:17

I have tried loads! Diorshow definitely gives you that dramatic, almost falsies look, BUT it dries out really quickly. As does the YSL baby doll one, which has the same initial affect. In fact, I find that all the mascaras that work really well, tend to dry out within a few weeks. Annoying when you've spent £25 plus!! One I always come back to, is Bourjois Volume Glamour, Ultra Curl. It's a good builderupper and it suits me the most. Makes my lashes look very thick, dark and long. Only downside is, it runs out quite quickly. Doesn't dry out. It just doesn't have enough product in the tube.

Lilipot15 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:04:31

Thank you. I shall treat myself to some to try. Squoosh you might be right about not overdoing it when I don't wear much make up - I think I made the Younique one feel worse as I kept blinking as it felt odd to me. Can't be doing with flakes of mascara under my eyes - the aim is to make me look less tired than I aim, not enhance the dark circles!

pommiegirl Tue 03-Nov-15 14:11:31

Younique is awful! Nars be audacious is my new fave

HopefulAnxiety Tue 03-Nov-15 20:08:07

What type of brush do you prefer, traditional bristles or silicone? For me the real difference came from realising that silicone brushes do nothing for me - lashes are short and thick and silicone bristles are normally not sturdy enough to make a difference.

If you prefer a trad bristle brush - Rimmel Volume Flash Waterproof (can never find this in store but Boots do it online), Rimmel 100% Waterproof, Essence All Eyes On Me Waterproof, Barry M Lash Vegas Waterproof, NYC City Proof Waterproof.

Silicone brush - Rimmel Wonderfull Waterproof, Collection Lash Divine Waterproof, Bourjois Volume 1 Seconde Waterproof.

Also if you want a natural look, maybe look at the cheaper Maybellines - Great Lash and Classic Volume.

Lilipot15 Tue 03-Nov-15 20:55:54

Hopeful, wow thanks! I tend to just find one thing and stick with it but disappointed in the Estée Lauder one. I have some days to kill out shopping as building work being done so me and the baby will go look at the make up counters!

Lilipot15 Tue 03-Nov-15 21:09:41

Mainly I'm annoyed with myself at spending the money on Younique without researching it first - it doesn't take many searches online to find that it isn't well-rated. I shall steer clear of further such "parties".

MotherOfFlagons Tue 03-Nov-15 21:16:56

Benefit They're Real. It stays in place and doesn't clump.

I tried Lancome Doll Eyes but it ended up mostly under my eyes.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 03-Nov-15 21:45:28

I like Chanel Le Volume.

HopefulAnxiety Tue 03-Nov-15 22:02:27

If you don't wear a lot of makeup there's no point in going for something very dramatic or expensive IMO. Also the Benefit mascaras (They're Real and Rollerlash) flake on me confused But they're both silicone brushes anyway which are just not the best for me.

Fibbertigibbet Tue 03-Nov-15 22:23:10

I've recently really been loving Maybelline's waterproof Lash Sensational. Lengthening, doesn't flake or smudge, stays on all day. smile

ifitsnotanarse Tue 03-Nov-15 23:34:25

Second the Natural Collection - great for everyday use.

FatRun Wed 04-Nov-15 16:53:32

This just popped up on my MN Swears By email

Surprised it made it as IME it's a controversial one as it's an absolute bugger to remove. I don't deny the formula is good when it's on but I just end up irritating my eyes (and no doubt ageing them too with the vigorous scrubbing) trying to get it off!

FatRun Wed 04-Nov-15 16:53:49

Agree with holly Le Volume de Chanel is wonderful

trinitybleu Wed 04-Nov-15 16:57:54

lilipot if you're getting flakes you need to add more gel, that seals in the fibres. You shouldn't get any flakes at all grin

MsVestibule Wed 04-Nov-15 17:05:29

I tried Benefit They're Real, but never again. It goes on really well and looks good, but smudges incredibly easily (especially on my browbone) but conversely, is quite difficult to remove. I've never had this problem with any other mascara.

I'm back to Clinique High Impact Mascara. Looks good, stays on all day, easy to remove.

Vicliz24 Wed 04-Nov-15 17:08:26

The Boots natural collection ones are such amazing value for money :-)) I use them all the time , at £1.99 I can afford a new one every month. They last all day on me with minimal flaking. I use the lash lengthening one. Slim British for everyday and the building one for nights or when I need a more made up eye.

Vicliz24 Wed 04-Nov-15 17:09:00

Hmm, slim brush obviously lol

Wotsup Wed 04-Nov-15 17:16:32

Never tried it but putting your mascara container into warm water loosens it apparently.

Wotsup Wed 04-Nov-15 17:17:30

The mascara that is!

hollyisalovelyname Wed 04-Nov-15 18:54:27

The Chanel one is way better than Benefit on me.
Gives me great volume.
I don't need length.
I also use the little mascara for lower lashes by Clinique.
I wondered why I hadn't bought it sooner- it's that good.
I have really sensitive eyes and can't dye my (very fair) lashes anymore sad
So these products are the next brst thing.
I don't use mascara every day though.

LimeMoon4 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:08:20

Ooh some interesting suggestions which I might have to try, like someone else said I find one I like and tend to stick with it.

I use No7 Extravagant Volume waterproof - it gives me lovely long thick lashes, and makes my eyes look bigger grin Has to be the waterproof one though as the usual one I find flakes/smudges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now