Talk

Advanced search

Considering a year of no new clothes for 2016

(134 Posts)
GoneAndDone Mon 02-Nov-15 18:16:31

Anyone else done it or considering it?

I buy a lot of clothes so it would be a huge challenge. But I own so many that I'm quite ashamed of it... Could easily not buy any for a year and still have something for every occasion.

burnishedsilver Mon 02-Nov-15 18:22:10

Sounds miserable but then I love a new dress me.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 02-Nov-15 18:23:27

I haven't attempted a year but there is often "No Spend Insert Month " on here.

I find it easier to No Spend in July/Aug/Sept .
June is my birthday and after Sept I'm looking for jumpers grin

Are you planning just buying essentials like tights/underwear/toilettries?

Why not have a sort out and sell on eBay? Then you'll get rid of what you don't need (more space less guilt) and make some money back.
Win/Win

boodles Mon 02-Nov-15 20:15:06

I would like to join you. I am not sure I will be able to make it through though!

edinburghreview Mon 02-Nov-15 20:19:55

I have done this.

I had masses of clothes and loved shopping but felt like I just had way too much and it had also become a bit of a habit. I found that even with loads of clothes and shoes I still didn't have anything to wear so off I would go to get more.

So one month I just stopped spending and once I got a month out the way decided to do a year. I tried to stop spending in all areas apart from essentials like food shopping and bills. I didn't buy anything... no make up, magazines, accessories.... underwear nothing just used what I had and made do.

I am 3 months on from finishing the year of no shopping and don't think I will go back to my old ways. I still have lots of clothes, have also got rid of lots and find that I tend to wear a handful of items. Am now thinking about going down the project 333 route to see how pared down I can get things but find the thought of that slightly terrifying.

Appreciate it isn't for everyone but I feel better for having done it and it did make me realise that I was spending because I felt a bit lost and it was something to do.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 02-Nov-15 20:43:35

It's a great idea. I find the more clothes I have, the more difficult it is to find something to wear anyway. A pared-down wardrobe is much easier to navigate.

internaldiscord Mon 02-Nov-15 21:13:07

i managed to do this for the first six months of this year. but then as the classics wore out and i had to replace them i may have buckled on some other things confused

PennyPants Mon 02-Nov-15 21:16:15

No I couldnt do it for a whole year, but I have cut down on how much I buy in the last few years. So some months I buy nothing, whereas before I bought something every week.

Nearlyadoctor Mon 02-Nov-15 21:28:24

I'm with Boodles would like to join but not convinced I'll make it through.

Dietcherrycola Mon 02-Nov-15 21:28:29

I'm up for this. I need a couple of work tops at the mo, and will need a couple of summer dresses around June, but I genuinely think I could do the rest. I. Have been shopping way too much in recent years, keen to get a grip.

itsmeohlord Mon 02-Nov-15 21:30:37

I could not do a year, but maybe 3 or four months.....

FiveShelties Mon 02-Nov-15 21:53:14

I would love to do this - the amount of stuff in my wardrobes is ridiculous, and I still keep buying.

GoneAndDone Mon 02-Nov-15 22:23:36

I've done a lot of ebaying and donated etc but I own a lot of good clothes I love wearing; there simply aren't enough days in the week for them all to be worn! And I buy new things all the time, the more I buy the more I need...

If I do it, it needs to be more drastic than a month - otherwise I will just buy more before and after to compensate! I have enough tights and socks for a whole year too...

I would really, really miss shopping and browsing though but then maybe it would remind me the point of clothes is the wearing of them, not just the pleasure of new things!

penguinplease Mon 02-Nov-15 22:33:00

I'm up for this. I own too many clothes and need to prioritise my spending!

Magicrealism Tue 03-Nov-15 06:11:01

I'm very keen to do this. I have far too many clothes and want to stop the endless cycle of just buying one more thing....
Have tried and failed spectacularly in the past. Beware the "stocking up" phase beforehand. I'm going to start from now.

Nearlyadoctor Tue 03-Nov-15 08:03:51

Can I join you Magicrealism , I need to start immediately otherwise will be tempted to "stock up".

I find there is always just that one more thing and my wardrobe would be complete, and then another, and then another........ Ad infinitum

bawabod Tue 03-Nov-15 09:09:40

I am going along with this. I have far too much in my wardrobe, but I have recently taken up dressmaking will that count ?!!! confused

FiveShelties Tue 03-Nov-15 10:32:22

I would love to join you, I seem to have loads of clothes but never seem to have anything to wear - if that makes any sense! I buy random things instead of trying to put together outfits. I think it would be really interesting to see how much would be left at the end of a year - don't think I will be naked though.grin

GoneAndDone Tue 03-Nov-15 10:40:03

I think I need to start immediately, too... Not bought anything in November yet so my start date can be 1st Nov! The only thing I think I will allow myself to buy is some cashmere wristwarmers from the Brora sale in January. I've been planning that for a while. Otherwise, no tights, socks or underwear unless I absolutely need some later on. I know my current collection should see me through the winter and spring at least. No shoes or boots, either.

Eminybob Tue 03-Nov-15 10:44:07

I'm going to try. I have a wardrobe full of clothes that I've not been able to fit in since pre pregnancy, like 2 years ago now. So I'm on a mission to slim into them and not have to buy anything next year. It'll be like having new stuff again those clothes have not seen the light of day in such a long time.

mirpuppet Tue 03-Nov-15 11:20:29

I'm in.

It should be a nice challenge. I will start as of 1 Nov.

For now dress making won't count as "buying clothes" -- as I have a stash of fabric to work through and making to me is different than buying.

Dietcherrycola Tue 03-Nov-15 12:52:39

If I do it, it needs to be more drastic than a month - otherwise I will just buy more before and after to compensate! I have enough tights and socks for a whole year too...

Yes! Me too. I'm always buying stuff before I stop buying stuff! Like when eat loads because it's my last day before a detox! Mad .

bawabod Tue 03-Nov-15 13:16:36

Thank you mirpuppet I shall not buy clothes but I will use my fabric stash up and maybe re-invent DH lovely shirts that are too small for him. The idea of not buying clothes will definitely make me look at what I have and perhaps alter some of those unworn garments.

1moreglassplease Tue 03-Nov-15 14:22:38

I tried this in 2014 and lasted no longer than a month. Despite having regular clear outs I still have way too many clothes so need to try again, especially as I'm trying to pay off my remaining credit card. I'm in for 2016.

louloubelle2 Tue 03-Nov-15 17:42:16

I need to do this. I really fall for the "just one more thing then my wardrobe is complete" delusion. I also shop for a lifestyle I don't have, sucked in by blogs and instagram, so as well as having enough clothes, I have lots I don't really get the opportunity to wear. Plus I'm a sucker for a discount code and shopping online, but I realise now its the thrill of the purchase and the anticipation of the delivery I'm addicted to. I'm constantly looking for the next thing to buy rather than appreciating the outfits I can create from the clothes I have.

I've started this already by unfollowing all fashion bloggers and instagrammers, and unsubscribing from lots of emails which might offer a discount code. Bit nervous about not being about to avoid the black Friday/cyber Monday frenzy, then there are all the December sales...but there isn't really a good time to start I guess..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now