Talk

Advanced search

chopping off all my hair...

(96 Posts)
Asteria36 Mon 02-Nov-15 01:04:03

Has anyone else gone from long to super short? Please convince me that I'm not going to instantly regret it!
I have mostly had long hair, with the odd foray into bob territory, throughout my life. It is currently half-way down my back and I am crushingly bored with it. I have structural ishoos that make proper blow drying with a brush agony and because I have such thick long hair it takes hours to dry naturally. DH adores my long hair but I am beginning to feel like a scarecrow! I'm considering something drastic, like a long pixie cut (Meg Ryanish).
My only concern is that I don't want to look even remotely frumpy, or worse still - like I have gone for a practical woman-of-a-certain-age haircut (like my aunt the nun!). I'm rapidly approaching 40 and getting the "You look like your mum" fear. She has shoulder-length straw for hair and I am petrified of any more comparisons because she is a vile person

annielostit Mon 02-Nov-15 07:12:37

Don't do it.
Find a good hair shop & stylist and get advice.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 02-Nov-15 07:15:31

Imo pixie cuts are hugely aging and unflattering. And take years to grow out. But there are lots of other options - find a good hairdresser and have a chat.

Scarletforya Mon 02-Nov-15 07:16:23

I wouldn't. Too drastic. Maybe go shorter and get hairdresser to thin it with thinning scissors.

Short hair is ageing.

Everyone cites 'Halle berry' but the reality is usually more 'Denise Welsh'.

divere Mon 02-Nov-15 07:16:40

Part of me thinks, just go for it. You only live once.
But on the other hand, I cut mine into a pixie cut and really did like it at the time, but after a few months I was bored to tears with it because there was nothing I could do with it. I got lots of compliments and my best friend and her husband always say it was their favourite hairstyle of mine, but I'd never do it again. It was a complete nightmare to grow out. I had it done beginning of January 2013 and it's only just got to collar bone length now!

I would suggest you go for a textured long bob.

MyNameIsSuz Mon 02-Nov-15 07:18:08

Agreed, I think if your hair is so thick you struggle to dry and brush it, it won't look like meg Ryan's and a pixie cut might be hard to tame. Ask your hairdresser for advice!

Shutthatdoor Mon 02-Nov-15 07:20:58

I went from very long to short and don't regret it at all.

There are lots of 'short' haircuts out there speak to a hairdresser and decide on one which suits you.

Those that say short hair is 'ageing' I actually look younger with short hair than I did with long wink

Floisme Mon 02-Nov-15 07:31:00

I'm not sure which I find more annoying: the 'short hair is ageing' school of thought or the 'get your hair cut at 40' rule. Women over 40 (or 50/60/70/80) suit different things - just like young women.

Personally I would do it because, like you say, you're bored with your hair. But I think a Meg Ryanish cut could turn out to be high maintenance unless you've got the hair for it. Like others have said, I'd get advice from a stylist and maybe take it in stages.

KittyandSqueal Mon 02-Nov-15 07:35:45

I'm the opposite, always had shortish hair. I desperately tried to grow it because I got into a 'women have long hair' weird train of thought. It lasted a year or so.

My long hair my hugely ageing, it dragged my face down and made me look tired.

I now have a short pixie cut. Everyone has complimented me, it looks cute (I'm short and a small size 12, it didn't work when I was a size 16, it just added to the roundness!)

I love how easy it is

welshHairs Mon 02-Nov-15 07:39:52

I went from long to quite short - chin length. I felt like a weight had been lifted honestly. Long hair was really pissing me off. I'd like to go shorter. I think you should book a hair appointment say you want to go short and you will be able to do a consultation with hair stylist.

Truckingalong Mon 02-Nov-15 07:46:17

Don't do it. It IS ageing, whatever the dissenters on here say.

Floisme Mon 02-Nov-15 07:50:00

Ageing on everyone? How odd. And there was I thinking all women look different.

Shutthatdoor Mon 02-Nov-15 07:50:27

Ageing on everyone? How odd. And there was I thinking all women look different.

grin

grisclair Mon 02-Nov-15 08:55:30

Whatever you do, don't go for anything "Meg Ryanish" - definitely frumpy and dated!

Asteria36 Mon 02-Nov-15 09:18:58

I don't actually want to emulate Ms Ryan - hers was just the first long short cut I could think of. I'm not after a boyish crop - more something like this

Asteria36 Mon 02-Nov-15 09:24:00

Have just booked an appointment tomorrow with my hairdresser. I am hoping that we can harvest enough to send off to the little princess trust - at least then if it is a disaster I can claim a worthy cause.

WhataRacquet Mon 02-Nov-15 09:25:24

I think the "woman of a certain age" hairstyle now is a longish bob because everyone is afraid to have short hair in case they look older! I don't think short hair is ageing and can look great as long as it is well cut. I'm thinking of getting the chop too.

Asteria36 Mon 02-Nov-15 09:27:43

Thankfully I have an amazing hairdresser who comes to our house - so at least I can wail and blow snot bubbles in the comfort of my own kitchen it'll it all gets a bit emotional...

OnlyHereForTheCamping Mon 02-Nov-15 09:29:42

Short hair is only ageing if you go for the shampoo and set look. I have short hair and love it . I have v thick hair and would look much older with long hair.

Nobody on this thread can advise you as we don't know what you look like.

Buttercup27 Mon 02-Nov-15 09:32:44

I went from bra strap length hair to a pixie cut and absolutely loved it. For the first time in ages, my hair actually looked styled rather than being shoved in a pony tail. I've had it in a pixie cut for about 3 years now and have decided to grow it back out. It's at the messy stage atm and it's taking all my will power not to cut it off again to make it look neat again.

shovetheholly Mon 02-Nov-15 09:34:56

Go for it! Honestly, I know women in their 40s with short hair who look absolutely terrific. I think it depends a lot on your style and attitude, tbh.

But be prepared for a lot of sexism from men!! It's surprising how political short hair can be - I've been short, long, and everything inbetween and it's only the short styles that have raised male hackles. Some neanderthals just don't like to see an empowered woman and will cat call and shout insults, especially when in packs. Which is a GREAT reason for doing it!!

atticusclaw2 Mon 02-Nov-15 09:38:34

Don't do it. I went from long to very short and cried. It was not a good plan and I started growing it back that very day If you think you might like shorter hair then do it in stages.

And do not listen to anyone who tells you that a pixie cut/sort hair is flattering. It is if you're stunningly beautiful with great bone structure. For everyone else it is ageing and unflattering. That cut you've posted to looks lovely because the model is beautiful. Stick it on a normal person and it will just look messy.

Asteria36 Mon 02-Nov-15 09:41:09

Thanks for the immediate assumption that I am not beautiful Atticus!! grin

SwearyGodmother Mon 02-Nov-15 09:44:45

I went from bra strap length thick, bushy hair to a pixie crop 20 years ago and have kept it short since. I think it's chic and not aging at all, but mine was boy-short rather than textured and longer due to bushy/bendy hair. I'm currently sporting a #1 all over and think it looks great too. Short hair can be the opposite of frumpy/aging.

FreiasBathtub Mon 02-Nov-15 09:47:31

I LOVE that pic!

I went short in stages - this time last year it was bra-strap length, and now it's a boy crop, but I had several incrementally shorter bobs in between. I love it (but I've been this short before and know it suits me). I think the trick is a stylist that you trust - sounds like you've got one of those - as it's much harder to cut short hair well. The line between modern and mumsy is very fine!

tl;dr - CUT IT!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now