Talk

Advanced search

Sporting event today! Dreaded smart casual

(8 Posts)
herethereandeverywhere Sat 31-Oct-15 08:17:58

I going to corporate hospitality today so I'll be in a box having a 3 course meal but also sitting outside in a draughty stadium for an hour and a half.

Dresscode is 'smart casual' and I'm having brain fail as to what that is!

Jeans + ? I don't want to look too middle aged if I can help it. I don't want to be cold either.

I wear a lot of dresses over jeans but will that make me look like a non-conformist weirdo?

Also impractical shoes/boots versus school-run boots/trainers?

All views gratefully received.

73dexter Sat 31-Oct-15 08:22:35

Is it the rugby final? Layers are what you need and a warm coat. Could you wear a dress with tights and knee high boots?

Gumps Sat 31-Oct-15 08:23:17

Dress over jeans will be fine. If it's the rugby you are going to today don't worry about being cold. The seats by the boxes are very sheltered and you can watch it from inside too.
Girls do wear heels but it depends upon how far you have to walk to the stadium.
I'm wearing black jeans, heeled boots, a nice jumper and a wrap coat. Hair done but up and nice make up.
Hope that helps.

herethereandeverywhere Sat 31-Oct-15 08:29:21

Thanks Dexter - yes - exciting!

Do you think that will be warm enough? I have a lovely smart hip length See by Chloe wool coat which is smart but I also own a ridiculous heavy duvet coat which is soo warm. Perhaps smarter under the coat but choose the duvet one?

My fleece lined tights are navy and don't really go with any suitable dresses - I haven't really bought tights for this season yet, was wondering if I might get away with leggings/long johns...that sounds ridiculous now I've typed it...

herethereandeverywhere Sat 31-Oct-15 08:30:48

Good tip Gumps thanks

Gumps Sat 31-Oct-15 08:41:53

It's really isnt that cold in there I promise! It's also 16 degrees today. Put down the duvet coat! The Chloe coat and jeans with a nice boot would be perfect. Honestly I've been lots of times (and I'm going today) the way to do it is casual clothes and nice hair and make up.

EWLT Sat 31-Oct-15 08:50:09

For women, smart casual usually means quite smart.

The men will be wearing either very smart jeans or chinos, open necked shirt and V neck pullover, brogues.

It's going to be fairly warm today. I'd wear a casual dress, standard opaque tights, comfy boots and my best coat.

herethereandeverywhere Sun 01-Nov-15 20:53:00

Just popping on to say thank you. I went with dress, tights and boots and I was very warm - thank goodness you got me to back away from the thermals and duvet coat! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now