Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Outfit for 40th in Amsterdam?

(11 Posts)
hellswelshy Wed 28-Oct-15 09:32:24

Going to Amsterdam for my upcoming 40th birthday with husband and friends, very excited! The main night will be a meal & drinks and I am humming & hawing about what to wear! Never been to Amsterdam but I get the impression its more laid back than dressy ( so am I) plus I have the added pressure of having to pack lightly!! Want to look hip in a 40 year old way if that makes sense? I'm size 14\16, slightly rounded tummy area. Thanks.

burnishedsilver Wed 28-Oct-15 09:46:28

I quite like this look from Mint Velvet. The silk top is lovely irl. The look is very plain. I'd brighten it up with red nails and a blingy clutch.

hellswelshy Wed 28-Oct-15 09:53:35

I like it.In fact I had a similar thought with a draped front top from La Reroute in grey, but wasn't sure if it was too plain. Now I can see it wouldn't be with the right touches! Plus I don't like complicated outfits grin

polyhymnia Wed 28-Oct-15 09:54:38

Sure you're right about Amsterdam being laid back not 'dressy' or fussy.

MummaGiles Wed 28-Oct-15 09:55:27

You're right, Amsterdam is pretty laid back and people don't relay dress up to go out, so something smart-casual will be absolutely fine.

louloubelle2 Wed 28-Oct-15 10:04:20

Definitely smart casual and laid back, something based around jeans will be fine. Also, there are lots of cobbled and uneven streets around the canals (I hope you're going there as opposed to the tacky tourist bit near the station - area names elude me). So make sure you can walk in your shoes.

hellswelshy Wed 28-Oct-15 10:16:12

Yes we are staying near the canal I think! And I don't do heels really but ive got chunky mid heeled brogues which give me a bit of height which may be OK. Thanks all!

louloubelle2 Wed 28-Oct-15 10:25:28

Am jealous! Make sure you soak up the booze with apple pie from Winkels on Noordemarkt, lots of bars and restaurants in that area generally. Near the Anne Frank museum. Sorry, you didn't ask but had to recommend!

hellswelshy Wed 28-Oct-15 11:52:41

Oh thanks for the tip! I'm getting excited now, not even minding turning the big 40 :-) And enjoying planning outfits ha ha!

burnishedsilver Wed 28-Oct-15 12:14:14

Don't worry about turning 40. Im 44 - best decade yet :-)

hellswelshy Wed 28-Oct-15 17:11:07

Ha thank you!! I do think secretly it might be just that!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now