Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Sensible price hairdressers.

(9 Posts)
Smurfingreat Tue 27-Oct-15 22:17:03

For the last 3 or so years I have been going to a well known high street hairdressing chain, and have had an utterly fab stylist doing my hair. The problem is that she is so good she keeps getting promoted and it is now eyewateringly expensive to go to her.

When I first started seeing her it was about £90 for a cut and colour, which is a lot, but I have a lot of hair, so that's over 3 hours work and I don't go often. It's now over £140 and I'm less flush this year, so can't justify the expense.

My main issue is that for many years I had a fear of getting my hair cut, boardering on phobia, due to awful hairstyles as a child and I find it really hard to trust anyone near my hair. This means that I really can't face options such as cheap deals with trainees, (especially after getting a manicure at the local college, which was more of an experience than a treat).

Does anyone have any good ideas?

BennyPoo Tue 27-Oct-15 22:32:52

Can't help with the hair issue, sorry. I am shocked that you have to pay £140 though. And although you say your stylist spends 3 hours, I'm sure she doesn't spend all that time with you, and proably fits in at least another cut or blow dry whilst you're colour is 'cooking'. But then it probably also depends on where you live.
But I'm glad you put your comment about manicures on! I went on our local college website yesterday as I my normal therapist is unable to come to my house for the next couple of months. I wasn't impressed with the website at all - and you have confirmed my concerns about letting a trainee loose on my hands and feet!

PetiteBateau Tue 27-Oct-15 22:59:05

That is an incredible amount of money to spend at the hairdressers shock. i pay £40 for a cut & I thought that was a rip off

HopefulAnxiety Tue 27-Oct-15 23:29:25

£140 shock

I appreciate that salon colouring is expensive compared to just a cut, but even so there'll be loads of independent salons around you who do a great job for less. I'd pay about £30-£40 for a cut and wouldn't expect a cut and colour to go over £70.

Where are you based?

Smurfingreat Tue 27-Oct-15 23:52:06

I know it's a vast amount of money and that is why I'm looking for something more reasonable, I'm in the midlands as well, not even somewhere you'd expect those prices. It's not even complex, I have long wavy hair with a few layers and blonde highlights to match in with my natural colour from the sun in the summer.

After not getting my hair cut from 12 to 19 as I didn't want to be butchered into a cut that made all my classmates laugh at me again, I finally plucked up the courage and went to a place friends had recommended. They claimed to understand my worries and then cut 6 inches off after having promised it would be no more than two.

When I finally found someone I was comfortable with in my early 20's I had the same problem with them getting promoted and becoming too expensive. I then found a local salon who I was happy with for ages, but after 5 years of going to them, they bleached the top I was wearing really badly and left the bleach on my hair too long so I ended up with day-glo blond stripes along each side of my head when I pulled my hair back and didn't want to bother fixing it.

I know it's only hair at the end of the day, but I tend to hide behind mine and just want a decent cut and colour for a sensible price.

Innermagic Wed 28-Oct-15 00:23:21

Ask her if she does homers, she could come to your home out of salon hours and would charge a lot less.
Many hairdressers do this to earn extra money cause working for a big salon doesn't mean big wages she could only say no.

HopefulAnxiety Wed 28-Oct-15 01:33:16

Valerie Young Hair, Coventry. My family are originally from Coventry and are now in the fucking home counties, but my mum still drives two hours to get her hair done there and has for almost 25 years now.

AliciaMayEmory Wed 28-Oct-15 06:44:34

I have this same problem! My hairdresser has gone from £75 for cut and colour (you have to have a cut or finish with a colour at this place!) But last time as I was paying they announced it was £104!! And that was only half head highlights and a teensy bit off the ends. What a rip off! I'm now searching for a mobile hair dresser as it seems that they all want to charge a small fortune round here. Am also in the Midlands, so may be they are all in on it!

burnishedsilver Wed 28-Oct-15 10:02:28

You've been going to her for a long time. Perhaps you could explain that you are very happy with her but finances are tight at the moment and ask her could she recommend someone more junior.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: