Talk

Advanced search

Best budget eyebrow pencil/powder/kit for a complete novice?

(19 Posts)
SlinkyB Mon 26-Oct-15 07:28:47

I popped to a Chanel counter on the weekend to try some liquid foundation, and the lady kindly popped some powder on my brows. They looked so much better, but I can't afford their stuff, and as I've never used brow pencils before I'd want to start with a cheaper set to see how I get on first.

I have highlighted dark blonde/mousy hair, and light brown eyebrows. I think she said a powder was less harsh than a pencil? But not to just use eyeshadow as it'll be sparkly!

Do any of you know of a budget (£10ish) option I could try please? I don't want to end up with Scouse brows or the drawn-on look! Thanks.

WhyDoesGastonBark Mon 26-Oct-15 07:36:07

You could use a matte eyeshadow - that won't be sparkly.

Revolution, freedom, MUA in superdrug are all cheap and good. Rimmel do a good pencil or brow mascara for cheap.
On ebay/amazon there is a brow pencil made by 'Laval' that is less than £2 and very very good. - waterproof!

BumbleNova Mon 26-Oct-15 09:11:09

I use this:

www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Eyes/Eyebrows/L%27Oreal-Brow-Kit-Light-Medium/p/440801#.Vi3t5n7hBpg

I'm blonde with light brown eyebrows. You put the tinted wax on first, then the powder. its subtle but buildable.

Cheesymonster Mon 26-Oct-15 17:05:45

I use the same one as Bumble, it's excellent.

Hopefully Mon 26-Oct-15 17:38:53

I have this one which I really like. Has wax for eyebrow taming as well as powder and highlighter.

Dismalfuckers Mon 26-Oct-15 17:41:36

I'd suggest getting them shaped and tinted.

I have similar colouring and had this done for the first time last month; what a difference, much better than my pencil or powder.

Lndnmummy Mon 26-Oct-15 18:05:41

Not a budget one perhaps but the benefit gimme brow has been an eyeopener ( ha ha).

It looks wonderfully natural and i wouldnt be without it nw

Peaceloveandpartyrings Mon 26-Oct-15 18:14:38

I used to use Brow-Zings by Benefit but it constantly shattered and got messy, so I switched to The Body Shop eyebrow kit and I think it's much better. Cheaper too!

TomHaverford Mon 26-Oct-15 18:24:59

Sleek do an excellent one for less than a fiver in superdrug!

Underdogsbollocks Mon 26-Oct-15 18:29:51

I use one from super drug, collection I think it is and is £3.99. There are 3 different shades of shadow and a clear brow mascara. The brush it comes with isn't very good so I just use a separate slanted eye liner brush I bought smile

Peaceloveandpartyrings Mon 26-Oct-15 18:51:18

Ah yes I use a different brush too!

Walkingonsunshine00 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:31:31

Maybelline master sculpt

justasecond Mon 26-Oct-15 20:44:02

If you are anywhere near a KIKO store then this is very good I have the darker shades one.

SakuraSakura Mon 26-Oct-15 20:45:01

Catrice do a brilliant budget option, a little rectangular box with two powders, a mini tweezers & an angled brush. It's fantastic. Not sure if there's a catrice stockist near you, but if there is, give it a look.

SlinkyB Mon 26-Oct-15 21:52:12

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone; looks like the Loreal one might be worth a try (could do with some new tweezers anyway).

dismal how long does the tinting last please? And you've just reminded me that I could do with an eyebrow wax at the beauticians to keep my shape - thanks.

Dismalfuckers Tue 27-Oct-15 22:40:29

Well, I am about three weeks in and still good. I looked on net and it said about six -eight weeks. I got tint, shape and eyelash tint for twelve quid, so money well spent.

I was scared I'd get really dark brows and look crazy, but it's not like that at all, wish I'd done it years ago.

HopefulAnxiety Tue 27-Oct-15 23:27:08

Makeup Revolution brow stuff is good, they have a kit for £3ish. Wide range of colours.

Also NYX is now available online at Boots and their brow stuff is very highly rated and around the £5 mark - haven't tried it but there are loads of swatches about if you google.

SlinkyB Mon 09-Nov-15 21:21:01

Update! Bought the Sleek kit on Saturday (it was £8.49, but on 3 for 2 offer in Superdrug). Tried it yesterday and was scared I looked like a clown, but friends and family said it looked good. Don't think I'd use it every day, more for a night out.

Have attached a before and after pic - no make-up at all in first pic shock

Grok Mon 09-Nov-15 22:22:48

That looks great! Makes a huge difference to your face. Looks very natural too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now