URGENT help needed - how do I wear skinny jeans & ankle boots?

(24 Posts)
BoSelectaBigBiff Sun 25-Oct-15 10:30:42

Just getting ready to go out to a family lunch, thought I'd wear my new suede ankle boots.

Then I realised that the last time I wore ankle boots & jeans, it was the 1990s, and perfectly acceptable to wear them under boot cuts.

HOW SHOULD I WEAR ANKLE BOOTS WITH SKINNY JEANS?!?!

I'm clueless. Should I be rolling up my jeans to above the tops of the boots? Won't my socks show then? Does that even matter?! HELP!!

Runningupthathill82 Sun 25-Oct-15 10:35:35

Tuck the jeans into the boots! Socks under jeans.

Kennington Sun 25-Oct-15 10:40:18

Scrunched on the boot
Don't worry ankles and skinnies alway look good

cannaethink Sun 25-Oct-15 10:41:39

Don't tuck them in.
Roll them up to just above the boots. I think a hint of sock looks fine! Look on Pinterest for the 'rules'.

CoconutAmericano Sun 25-Oct-15 10:45:28

I'd wear them scrunched on the boot too.

BoSelectaBigBiff Sun 25-Oct-15 12:06:52

Thank you everyone.

See, I looked on Pinterest, and everything I tried just looked...not quite right.

I think I may have inadvertently bought a pair of mum boots, so have worn something different so that I can experiment at home at my leisure (and return them if needed!)

missmartha Sun 25-Oct-15 12:54:24

Yes, rolling up with a hint of flesh/sock is the way to go imo.

Have a lovely lunch.

CreviceImp Sun 25-Oct-15 13:02:26

Low cut boots and jeans rolled up just above boot top.

Alternatively whack a pair of flares over the mumboot. smile

OnlyLovers Sun 25-Oct-15 13:22:10

I wear mine with chunky socks over my jeans, tops of socks visible over the tops of the boots.

divere Sun 25-Oct-15 14:20:48

I wear mine the same, OnlyLovers

Or if they are slightly looser skinnies then I do as above and turn up jeans and have a bit of sock showing in between top of boot and bottom of jean.

WhatamessIgotinto Sun 25-Oct-15 14:24:43

I think it depends on the heel/style of the ankle boot.

Cheesymonster Sun 25-Oct-15 17:56:28

Does this look work with flat boots?

Keeptrudging Sun 25-Oct-15 18:01:30

Cowboy boots/chunky style low block heels I wear skinnies tucked in. I don't wear them rolled up because it reminds me of the 80s (and I'm old/er)! Boot cuts over anything vaguely 'mum-bootish' (to hide them).

DickDewy Sun 25-Oct-15 18:02:24

Do not tuck them in!

And don't show socks either.

lorelei9 Sun 25-Oct-15 22:06:48

so the short version is - no one agrees on how to mix them?

OneofTHOSEWomen Sun 25-Oct-15 22:44:31

Like this but depends on the boots I reckon. Chunky socks over jeans with DMs for example

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 25-Oct-15 23:06:46

I wear the jeans cuffed/rolled up, but with fishnet/lacy ankle-high sock things instead of bare ankle at this time of year. My boots are mainly flat Chelsea boots, but I do wear the jeans inside biker boots - also flat.

OnlyLovers Mon 26-Oct-15 09:58:01

Why not show socks?

Stepawayfromthezebras Mon 26-Oct-15 10:23:28

This blog gives some ideas on how to wear sock with skinnies and ankle boots

burnishedsilver Mon 26-Oct-15 10:57:27

I have a few different styles of skinny jeans and a few different styles of ankle boots. How to wear them varies depending on which Jean with which boot. There's no one answer. You'll just need to try them on and judge what you think works best.

OnlyLovers Mon 26-Oct-15 11:39:35

Off topic slightly, but I LOVE the ankle boots in that demo on the blog.

I've just bought two new pairs of boots though.

<<sits on hands>>

velourvoyageur Mon 26-Oct-15 12:36:40

I always do cuffs rolled up.
That's why I want boots that go just a bit over the ankle but not too much so I can change a bit. Almost wish I was still into Docs as they were so easy!
I wouldn't show socks, I do show skin though
Think socks only look good when you're a gangly hipster boy and they're colour coordinated i.e. one of two or max three colours in the outfit

OP post a photo if you're unsure they're mum boots?
I'm sometimes not too sure - like with the Vagabond boots they have at Urban Outfitters atm

CoconutAmericano Mon 26-Oct-15 12:37:26

Me too onlylovers, they are fab fab fab but £££ sad

BoSelectaBigBiff Mon 26-Oct-15 14:41:20

Thank you everyone for all your tips!

I returned the boots today in the end - even though they maybe weren't mum boots, there was something niggling me about them that they weren't quite right.

But at least now I can go shopping for a new pair, safe in the knowledge that I will know how to wear them! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now