Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Favourite style Instagrammers for Mums?

(12 Posts)
maggiesnells Sun 25-Oct-15 00:52:59

Hi there, I've recently joined Instagram and really want to start following some people who's style is attainable (affordable) in the UK? Can anyone recommend some people?

So far I have found Alex, Anna and Erica. Any other good ones?

Maggie x0x

BrendaandEddie Sun 25-Oct-15 06:44:58

you mean ' women'?

louloubelle2 Sun 25-Oct-15 12:51:01

Not sure what you mean by mum when two of those you have linked to definitely don't have children. They are also fairly young and spend most of their feeds advertising for brands they work for so rarely wear the same thing twice which is hardly affordable or attainable.

That aside, try these "mums" - they also have blogs if you like more words with your pictures.
schoolrunmum
fashionmumof40
dresslikeamum
schoolgatestyle

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 25-Oct-15 12:59:41

WHY does that woman on Dress Like a Mum keep leaping around and pulling ridiculous faces? I managed about four pictures before I wanted to pull my eyeballs out. Ridiculous.

And yes, why signal out mothers? Do mothers wear different clothes to other people then?

louloubelle2 Sun 25-Oct-15 16:14:07

In fact, if you're new to Instagram, just be wary in general of fashion based feeds. At least 80% of them will be professional feeds based on advertising, all artfully styled and shot with

louloubelle2 Sun 25-Oct-15 16:15:59

Oops didn't mean to post then. Just take them all with a pinch of salt is what I was saying in a long winded way.

maggiesnells Sun 25-Oct-15 19:23:52

So does Instagram pay them to post things? I thought it was all natural!

lurkingabit Sun 25-Oct-15 19:55:51

Just had to have a look at dresslikeamum. Hadn't seen her before. She's, em, busy alright. Also remarkably fond of emojis.

sooperdooper Sun 25-Oct-15 19:58:51

Like bloggers, Instagram accounts with tonnes of followers will get paid to advertise certain brands

I have no idea what mums wear, do they have to wear a uniform different to other women hmm

louloubelle2 Sun 25-Oct-15 23:02:36

Instagram doesn't pay them but those people you are already following take photos of their outfits for a job. Depending on how successful they are, they will either be given clothes for free or have a contract with a brand to promote their clothes for money. They also have successful blogs which are their primary source of revenue through advertising and click through. The Instagram feeds just form part of their publicity.

A good way to spot a professional instagrammer is by tapping the photo. If all the brand names come up they are probably advertising. Or loads of hashtags under the photo. Apart from the obvious, having loads of followers. Your amateur style instagrammer does not have thousands of friends.

DorothyDove Mon 26-Oct-15 06:50:19

I recently discovered Susie SoSo from a recommendation in here and follow her in Instagram now. I like her style and it's quite achievable (or it will be when I'm not 9 months pregnant!) and she isn't too much of a dick about it like lots of the others I've followed then unfollowed quite quickly.

Ujjayi Mon 26-Oct-15 07:58:22

I think the term "mum style" is fine to use. Look how many threads we have on here started by MNers who have lost their style mojo post-DC. Your body changes, your mind-set changes, you want to look good but fannying around in 5" heels & the latest look from The Sartorialist just isn't going to cut it. People look for style advice that fits their lifestyle. No different to searching for work wear threads/IG inspiration IMO.

Witblog - can be rather designer obsessed but her styling ideas are good
My Fashionable 40s (IG & blog)
Karen Lowe
My Daily Catwalk
Does My Bum Look 40 (seemingly the Marmite of the fashion blogging world!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: