Talk

Advanced search

HOC Spring

(30 Posts)

Can anyone remember the different HOC spring types and the difference between them? All I can remember is blue and paintbox.

HopefulAnxiety Sun 25-Oct-15 22:23:04

Bumping because I'm interested too, and the different Winter types.

Hopefully Mon 26-Oct-15 07:27:47

The Spring types are:
- Golden (in other systems I think this translates as a warm spring), it is the 'closest' to Autumn, as they tend to look good in yellows, oranges, greens etc
- paintbox, those springs whose best colours are the really bright splashy ones, brightest green, red, yellow, blue.
- blue Spring, the least 'warm' of the springs, leaning towards winter, looks best in the less warm spring colours like the blues, purples, greys, the less coral pinks.
- pastel, those springs closest to summer, who are best in the softest and less warm colours, such as banana, cream, light grey, hyacinth blue etc.

Hopefully Mon 26-Oct-15 07:33:10

Gah, just typed the winters and lost it! Will redo later.

cardoon Mon 26-Oct-15 07:41:32

What is a HOC Bright Spring known as now Hopefully? Not sure if I would be paintbox or blue

Hopefully Mon 26-Oct-15 07:50:24

I know different consultants mean different things by bright spring (as it has come to mean a blue spring in other systems over time), but generally speaking it's a paintbox. Which colours do you get a ** at 100% in?

Hopefully Mon 26-Oct-15 07:52:49

Right, winters:
- Jewel winter, the 'typical' winter, looks amazing in the brightest colours and usually black and white
- burnished winter, closest to autumn, looks good in the less cool winter colours like mole and stone
- sultry winter, better in the deeper winter colours like navy, charcoal, burgundy
- sprinter winter, light and bright, closest to spring, looks best in the lighter bright winter colours like chinese blue, magenta and shocking pink. Often looks good in the ice colours, but someone who doesn't look good in the sprinter winter colours but looks amazing in the ice colours we'll often call an ice winter instead.

Thanks Hopefully. I was hoping that you would come along.

As a Blue Spring the thing I don't understand is why my worst colour is grey. My top colours are the bright blues, turquoises, a coral and the darkest green..and the purple. But grey completely drains me. That doesn't seem consistent with the Blue Spring definition does it?

Any thoughts on why that might be?

cardoon Mon 26-Oct-15 14:47:00

** are tangerine/coral/terracotta/geranium/kerry green/aqua/aquamarine

...maybe not blue then?

Hopefully Mon 26-Oct-15 21:16:05

Happy it sometimes happens like that - it's just down to the individual's skintone, and is one of the reasons we don't have 12 different palettes that are narrower than the four main seasonal ones - sometimes there are colours within your 'area' of a season that don't work, and sometimes there are ones elsewhere in the palette that look brilliant on you. I am a very blue autumn (same as a blue spring, but, you know, and autumn) and royal purple, which by rights ought to be amazing, is pretty dire on me. Keep the greys for the bottom half, they are so useful for toning in with the blue spring palette.

Cardoon sounds more along the lines of paintbox smile. If you're looking for ideas on Pinterest etc I think that translates as a true spring in most of the american systems.

Thanks Hopefully. Yes agreed, grey should be good for the bottom half. Must remember that as I always fall back on blues for trousers and skirts.

HopefulAnxiety Mon 26-Oct-15 23:58:38

Thank you, this is helpful.

Leaf Autumn is the brighter end of Autumn, right? Best friend considers herself a Warm Spring (so I guess Golden Spring in HoC) but I strongly suspect she's at the brighter end of Autumn rather than the warmer end of Spring. She's a redhead (sandier end of red hair but dyed brighter) with teal eyes, pale but very yellow-toned skin. Looks amazing in gingerbread/cinnamon/mustard/teal which to me says Autumn rather than Spring.

For myself I definitely need clearness and brightness, it's the level of coolness I can't judge for myself.

Hopefully Tue 27-Oct-15 05:50:44

You get a leaf autumn, which is a true autumn, and a vibrant autumn. Leaf autumn is generally the very typical autumn colours (rust, browns, mustard etc) and a vibrant autumn is closer to spring (geranium, saffron, lime green etc). Both are surprisingly bright though - I think a lot of people think autumn is sludgier than it is.

HopefulAnxiety Tue 27-Oct-15 19:37:36

Thanks. She has serious social anxiety so getting analysed in person is difficult, but I think her best colours are soft and warm and bright rather than clear and warm and bright iyswim.

Hopefully Tue 27-Oct-15 20:28:20

Oh poor her, must be horrible to be anxious. Loads of inspiration on Pinterest, search things like 'warm autumn colour analysis'.

Frostycake Wed 28-Oct-15 10:02:41

IfYourHappy I'm a HOC Blue Spring and I can wear grey (warm grey that is) but I have grey eyes which is unusual. I look best in the blues, purples and greys. My consultant also told me that I was one of the neutrals too as I can wear both gold and silver jewellery. My skin is fair and has no freckles and is pale ivory (and golden when tanned). The colours that suit us are meant to be dictated by our colouring (skin, hair, eyes, lips etc.) so best to go with that.

If your consultant didn't put any stars by your greys then don't wear them near your face, keep them for below the waist instead (your black).

I have loads of Pinterest boards for Spring colouring. Just search.

Thanks FrostyCake. I use pin a lot too and find it really helpful. I only wear springy colours and do find it makes a real difference.

cardoon Sun 01-Nov-15 09:47:51

Thanks Hopefully although I would prefer to be a Blue Spring as I don't think I look that great in coral or aqua type colours, stonger and slightly cooler feels more me

Hopefully Sun 01-Nov-15 19:11:42

Don't feel you have to stick only with your ** colours - if you prefer other ones, wear them! I spent a long time after my colour analysis wearing variations on the theme of dark olive green, red and cream, because I knew they worked well, and got absolutely bored to death. Remember your whole palette looks great on you.

Hopefully Sun 01-Nov-15 19:12:03

Also I ** in several browns, and on the whole I loathe wearing it, even in accessories.

Frostycake Sun 08-Nov-15 11:09:28

I love the browns. So flattering! Especially worn with ivory. Camel was made for us.

WickedWax Sun 08-Nov-15 11:13:16

Oh it's been ages since I've seen a Spring thread. smile I'm paintbox spring.

Anyone care to post some links showing what they're buying lately? I'm really struggling at the minute to find anything in the shops in my colours.

insameboattoo Sat 14-Nov-15 16:54:33

love the Spring threads and glad there is another one. I tend to wear a lot of blue and coral pink (not together) and navy. I still wear black trousers with a coloured top[ (Trinny and Susannah sin smile)

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Sat 14-Nov-15 17:09:22

I'm a Blue Spring and this is my pinterest board of things I've bought, most recent at the top.
I don't stick rigidly to my colours all the time (particularly with regard to shoes and tights) but I did get these two lovely work tops from Jaeger last week:
Mykonos Blue
Chocolate Brown (a colour very hard to find!)
I have lots of 100%** colours, all the blues, coral, bright red, chocolate, one of the other browns, and one of the greens. Basically anything not pastel.

cardoon Sat 14-Nov-15 17:35:13

I took delivery of this today and OMG I look dead in it hmm and yet I have **@75% in this tan/camel colour

I look a dream in burgundy not really in comparison and that is supposed to be one of my worst colours confused

Back it goes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now