Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dresses for work

(16 Posts)
treaclesoda Sat 24-Oct-15 15:14:50

I need a couple of dresses for work - I prefer dresses to tops and skirts/trousers, just because I find them more flattering and comfortable.

My dress code is reasonably smart (eg I wouldn't wear a denim dress or anything too short) but I would look very out of place wearing a very corporate type outfit.

I am a size 14 apple shape - very slim legs and arms, flat bum but carrying a bit of flab round the middle (hence the preference for dresses over skirts or trousers).

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money either, and I don't suit black.

Can anyone suggest any shops that might be worth checking out? It was much easier in summer, but now I need something a bit more suitable for winter.

amarmai Sat 24-Oct-15 15:40:25

MY goto is Jaeger warehouse but just saw a great new to me one- Finery.

AnyoneButAndre Sat 24-Oct-15 15:46:30

M&S have got a surprisingly good selection in at the mo, and there are a whole load of 20% off vouchers available.

theredlion Sat 24-Oct-15 15:51:29

White Stuff, Hobbs especially in the sale, L K Bennett again, sale!, Boden, Fever.

I'm similar OP and those are the first shops I look at.

PetiteBateau Sat 24-Oct-15 16:55:19

I buy my work dresses in Zara and H&m mainly. Occasionally warehouse. Quite a few charity shop finds too

Birdsgottafly Sat 24-Oct-15 17:34:49

I got two in Newlook last week, they could be worn like Tunic tops or with tights.

There's some in Tesco.

It depends on your budget.

treaclesoda Sat 24-Oct-15 17:46:41

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out.

My budget is...the cheaper the better wink. I prefer New Look and Tesco prices, but could afford Warehouse, Oasis prices if I saw something I liked. Probably wouldn't want to spend much more than though, but wouldn't totally rule it out.

fiorentina Sat 24-Oct-15 22:18:52

Occasionally Uniqlo have workwear appropriate dresses for not much money. I've found bargains in H&M but am picky about them as some look cheap in my opinion.

noisytoys Sun 25-Oct-15 06:49:49

Fat Face - I normally buy a dress each season because at full price they are about £50 each but they have a sale right now and I bought 3 for £20 each yesterday for work. They seem to last forever they wash and wear so well.

Cheesymonster Sun 25-Oct-15 06:55:26

Primark! I have a black fitted shift dress, fully lined, £12. I get loads of compliments on it. They do the same in grey.

TSSDNCOP Sun 25-Oct-15 16:27:05

I have had a lot of luck recently in River Island and Sainsbury. i also usually get lucky in a French Connection or Hobbs sale.

pdxs Mon 26-Oct-15 22:47:13

Also try gap

Lndnmummy Tue 27-Oct-15 17:55:53

My go to is COS

Allinafankle Tue 27-Oct-15 19:38:53

Sainsburys! I am a 14-16 and get loads of work dresses from there. Also like White Stuff.

WingsClipped Tue 27-Oct-15 21:03:01

Banana republic. The sales are amazing and they wash very well. I've had dresses I've worn weekly which still look new a year or two later.

scandichick Wed 28-Oct-15 16:42:29

I really like Closet, some of their standard shapes can be very flattering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: