Talk

Advanced search

Online customer service - who to avoid?

(48 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Sat 24-Oct-15 06:54:09

So I do a fair bit of online shopping [understatement] and more and more who I will order from depends on how quick they are to refund and how easy the refund process is.

I hate retailers where you have to print out returns forms - am sure this is just an extra step to try and discourage people from getting refunds.

Companies like netaporter/boden are fab at their customer service. But I've had really rubbish experiences with both matches and libertys where it took up to 4 weeks to get refunds processed.

So who should I avoid in the run up to Christmas when I'll undoubtedly be doing even more online shopping?

TwoInTheMourning Sat 24-Oct-15 07:48:26

IWOOT - utterly useless
Benetton (return all the way to Italy!!)
I avoid Lands End because returns are not free and sizes are all over the place
I avoid what used to be DUO (*Ted & Muffy* now) because their sizing is utterly unreliable and again, returns and not free.
Sports Direct
Debenhams - take forever to process refunds
H&M - they are awful as their deliveries take forever, they trick you into opening a credit account and then you can't return things to store. Avoid avoid avoid.

Boden are obviously amazing but I do believe we pay for that several times over as their prices are now beyond ridiculous. Still great for kids though.

louloubelle2 Sat 24-Oct-15 08:32:34

Baukjen and Me and Em take forever to refund, but they usually do free returns.

Cos has to be returned to Sweden I think.

Not bad customer service as such, but I hate that NAP, Matches and The Outnet will only deliver with a signature, and will only try three times. DHL who they use are pretty helpful, but if you are out and about a lot, I'd think twice or consider a work or friends address.

I'd add All Saints to the good list, not always free returns, but super quick refunds and 24hr customer service helpline which has always been helpful and polite for me.

You didn't ask, but things I like that tick my reasons to use an online service:
Click and Collect
Deliveries or returns to store
Quidco
Free delivery and returns

MrsBertMacklin Sat 24-Oct-15 08:37:47

Anyone who uses DPD to courier goods gets a huge tick from me. Best courier by far.

louloubelle2 Sat 24-Oct-15 08:52:09

MrsBertMacklin agreed. Their mobile/email delivery status updates are amazing.

Notoedike Sat 24-Oct-15 09:14:02

Dpd are amazing!
I like companies who don't require you to verify your return online - im looking at you zara!
Celtic & co very pricy returns - i refuse to even look at their catalogue now.
John lewis because picking stuff up from Waitrose is so easy.
Toast are pretty good but you need to order £150 to get free delivery and returns which isn't tricky given their prices.

EmilyPunkhurst Sat 24-Oct-15 09:19:59

Selfridges are brilliant. Not free but very speedy processing (and gorgeous packaging, which shouldn't matter but really does...)

Harvey Nicks very mixed.

Agree that the whole DHL thing with NAP & The Outnet is a bit wearing.

Doc Martens grindingly slow to process, although returns are free.

CuffsAndCollar Sat 24-Oct-15 09:20:52

Hate to say it but Amazon are great.
Agree with DPD.
Agree with Boden and All Saints and love that you can use Amazon Prime with AS.

HumboldtFog Sat 24-Oct-15 10:44:31

Agree about Debenhams and returns. Another problem with them is that if you order more than one item, the chances are it all comes in separate deliveries, it's a pain. So are returns. I hate having to print off a return label when they can just stick one in the parcel! And they tend to make mistakes with orders too.

DPD - yes great. House of Fraser changed from them to Parcelforce recently and are not as good.

Amazon, John Lewis both great.

Larastheme Sat 24-Oct-15 10:47:18

I think big department stores, That are more focused on in store shopping rather than online, like liberty,selfridges, JL, are all with slow and limited service, I've had a nightmare recently with JL, terrible, terrible CS, the white company is no better, I now avoid online shopping with all the above,and only shop in store with them,

Fleurchamp Sat 24-Oct-15 11:00:05

Asos are ok but I hate that they sometimes use Hermes. They are rubbish.

Whistles use DPD and returns can be via the store. But you can't use vouchers online which is a shame.

I use JL click and collect only to ensure availability. I usually then try in the items and return immediately as they are a faff.

Nearlyadoctor Sat 24-Oct-15 11:33:38

Hush, Jigsaw, Boden, Joules and White stuff I find all of them very good.

Crew clothing customer service is poor and returns seem to take a long time to process, as do Laura Ashley.

oliviafrombolivia Sat 24-Oct-15 11:42:31

& Other Stories, 3 weeks after receipt of return for refund..

Notoedike Sat 24-Oct-15 11:48:08

All Saints have a very twisted gift card system. If you order loads of items to use up a gift card and you top up the purchase with a credit card - any returns will be credited onto your credit card first, making it almost impossible to get rid of the gift card credit if like me you need to order 2 sizes for anything you buy. I hope I have have the misfortune of having a Gift Card from All Saints again.

Gwynfluff Sat 24-Oct-15 11:49:21

Zara good. Asos good. Both fast and refund easily. Uniqlo efficient but need to pay for returns. Very (ironically as they are mail order originals) took a long time to deliver and charged for the service. Agree about H&M - but buy kids stuff there so I factor in that it won't come quickly.

burnishedsilver Sat 24-Oct-15 12:03:15

I've had good experiences with Gap, Mint Velvet and House of Fraser.

burnishedsilver Sat 24-Oct-15 12:04:17

Boden returns from Ireland are a pain in the neck. It puts me off ordering.

maybemyrtle Sat 24-Oct-15 13:24:52

Agree with Other Stories, Cos and H&M - painfully slow refunds and you can't take back to a store. Really annoying but probably for the best.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 24-Oct-15 13:43:45

Oh yes any returns to other countries takes forever I agree.

Selfridges used to be good but recently not so great. Harvey Nichols again have been great but I hate their new rewards app as I don't use apple products I can't use it.

Also agree DPD are great. I used to have a great DHL driver who would leave my nap deliveries but generally they don't so now get them delivered to work.

I hate it if I have to pay for returns. I also now use paypal wherever possible as the refund is back in my account super quick.

73dexter Sat 24-Oct-15 14:15:36

Gwynfluff - if you return to Uniqlo using Collect+ it is free.

ErrinPerrin Sat 24-Oct-15 14:22:56

Reiss. Have to wait in for courier collection. Cannot be arsed with that.

Lemonfizzypop Sat 24-Oct-15 14:23:02

Asos delivery/returns are quick however if anything does go wrong their customer service is TERRIBLE. Everything is done via Twitter or Facebook, I once had an order that went missing and it took soooooo long to sort out with lots of conflicting info and all they they gave me was 10% off my next order as compensation, big woop!

John Lewis and Amazon have great customer service in my experience.

Djangor Sat 24-Oct-15 15:11:58

I've found Jigsaw & Hobbs good. Uniqlo using Collect+ also good (& free). Bit wary with Boden since I ordered when there was a long wait for an item & between order & delivery my credit card was "compromised" & cancelled. Boden phoned to ask for new credit card details before delivery & all seemed fine until I did a subsequent return. Turned out my account had been marked in default when my card was cancelled & default was not removed with new card so they decided to sit on my money rather than refund. Got my money after a call but odd way to treat a long-term customer. Another Boden problem is that if they send you shoddy goods, their long free delivery period means they don't seem to care. They just check you have a free delivery label & say send back. All other firms I have dealt with have been very bothered & want things that were wrongly size labelled or damaged in some way to be sent to a special place so they send me a specific returns label.
I always use Collect+ whenever possible for returns as the tracking is provided - otherwise I pay extra for recorded delivery. Sadly I no longer trust the ordinary post.

buntyfly Sat 24-Oct-15 15:19:38

Boden good, Amazon good.

White Stuff awful, had to send a scan of proof of posting/recorded delivery on not receiving refund, and noticed lots of other people had been asked to do similar. Also Joules are the worst. Long delays on refund and dreadful customer service.

buntyfly Sat 24-Oct-15 15:21:54

White Stuff are good with delivery, just to add, so I only buy online if I'm certain it will be fine.

H and M also bad with delivery, so I can only imagine their return service is equally poor and am not surprised to hear it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now