Talk

Advanced search

How to wear super dark lipstick?

(18 Posts)
FuckThisForFun Fri 23-Oct-15 21:55:04

I really like the look of really dark plum/burgundy/red lipsticks but not sure what the rest of my makeup should be doing!!
I picked up a MUA Lipstick in Vamp, what should I be doing on my eyes/rest of my face?!

manandbeast Fri 23-Oct-15 22:01:00

Watching with interest
I'd like to try but have a measly upper lip smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 23-Oct-15 22:35:33

I have a measly upper lip too beast but I can wear a dark wine lipstick easier than a true red.
I would wear mascara and a subtle dark liner on my eyes, then apply the lipstick properly (ie buff first - BodyShop Lipscuff or the sugar scrub from Lush - then liner. Apply , blot, apply second coat. Lipcote. Stings but works wonders )

Go and Vamp to your hearts content thlwink

BrendaandEddie Fri 23-Oct-15 22:47:42

less on eyes

god you know thst though fgs

CuffsAndCollar Fri 23-Oct-15 22:58:23

Always charming.

CuffsAndCollar Fri 23-Oct-15 22:59:57

I like really great dewy base, tight lined eyes with curled lashes but no, or a light slightly sheeny, eye cream / shadow.

FuckThisForFun Fri 23-Oct-15 23:05:20

Thanks 70 I'll be up early to play about practice my eyeliner and see if I can pull it off-thanks

So helpful Brenda

FuckThisForFun Fri 23-Oct-15 23:07:07

Thanks cuffs, DH asked if it was for Halloween so it's fair to say he's not impressed!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 23-Oct-15 23:28:08

I bought a gorgeous dark wine matt from M&S Autograph years ago and it does take practice (especially with a skinny cats bum mouth like mine grin )
Some lippies, I can swipe and blot but with the darker ones you want to sit with your brush and do the whole 1940s Glamour Effect.
And check your teeth after (not a good look , lippie on teeth)

My DS reckons I look like a Drag Queen, I'd be less affronted at the Hallowe'en TBH .

Quornmakesmefart Fri 23-Oct-15 23:32:20

i find really dark lipsticks look better on me if I keep my skin tone warm - a bit of bronzer or a warm toned foundation - if my skin is too pale I just look like I've gone back to my goth phase of 20 years ago grin

I also keep my eyes really neutral, taupes and Browns, with eyeliner on the top lid but none underneath.

NotTodaySatan Fri 23-Oct-15 23:35:00

Not a good look if you have thin lips. Overdrawing always looks stupid.

Exfoliate and moisturise lips really well first. Dark colours are more obvious when they dry and crack. Matt formulas are worst for this so something with a bit of moisture is better. A lip liner first will help it last.

Minimal eye makeup (I would do a sheer wash of bronze or gold with mascara - no liner), neutral blusher and dewy, fresh highlighted skin to stop it looking cakey/gothic/halloweeny.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 23-Oct-15 23:41:08

Ah, Satan I like my dark wine on my thin lips ( I don't like nude or coral and I look evil in red) on the very rare times I wear it.
I have dark eyes so the two colours complement, but I like the starkness of dark and dark on me.

Overdrawing (is that lining outside the lipline?)
I do a knock off Clara Bow .

whitershadeofpale Fri 23-Oct-15 23:43:13

I think this video has good tips.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hq0XHCzqpHo

LoveAndHate Fri 23-Oct-15 23:47:42

You definitely need eyeshadow but a subtle dove grey with dark grey upper liner flick and tons of black mascara and defined brows. Vampish plum lips will swamp a weak brow and nude eyes.

Do you have an ample gob?

LoveAndHate Fri 23-Oct-15 23:49:39

Deffo avoid on thin lips - unless you want to look like Morticia. Or Alison Moyet.

burnishedsilver Fri 23-Oct-15 23:49:58

I agree with warming up the skin with a touch of bronzer or a faint hint of fake tan. Your lips need to be in really good condition.

SapphireSeptember Fri 23-Oct-15 23:59:32

I just wear it, my favourite super dark shade that isn't black is Va Va Violet by Revlon, a glossy deep purple. I wear with minimal eye makeup (just some black mascara) and foundation. I have fairly pale skin but refuse to go near blusher or bronzer because they look dreadful on me and I can never get it to look natural (says the girl with purple lips!) I love dark lippy, especially around this time of year. smile

FuckThisForFun Sat 24-Oct-15 00:01:57

I have fairly plump lips but not a huge mouth, if that makes sense!
I always have brows done and wear tons of mascara. I'll have a play about and see if I can make it work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now