I just got a mulberry bag in the charity shop

(49 Posts)
JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 11:46:27

For €15grinshock

It need a bit of a clean up. Leather needs cleaned and the lock, key and logos are a little tarnished and greensad

Anyone have any advice on how to do this without ruining the bag.

It worn on the corners at the bottom and two studs are missing. I don't care though. I'm soo happy I think I'm drunkgrin

Anastasie Thu 22-Oct-15 11:49:56

Oh wow, what a find - what model is it?

73dexter Thu 22-Oct-15 12:01:35

If the lock is tarnished and green it may well be a fake. There are websites where you can check if your bag is genuine or not.

JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 12:02:13

It's a bays water ?? I'll try to attach pics. I really want to clean up up to its former glory. It won't take much but don't want to mess it up

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 22-Oct-15 12:06:36

An easy way of checking if it's real is the round circle things on the flat bit of the clasp thing should be like / in a circle and \ that in the other circle.

Sorry for crap terminology.

burnishedsilver Thu 22-Oct-15 12:07:13

Score!

Anastasie Thu 22-Oct-15 12:07:32

Try this

JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 12:08:34

Nooooo don't say that dextersmile off to check. I should be baking for school sale tomorrow

JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 12:13:57

Thanks anastasie. Iv had a look. I think it's real according to your link

TheBitchOfDestiny Thu 22-Oct-15 12:15:06

OMG you jammy sod

envy envy

Iwanttobeadog Thu 22-Oct-15 12:15:39

if you do want to knwo if it's real (i wouldn't blame you if not) post pics on the Purse Forum, they're lovely and very helpful

Jelly101 Thu 22-Oct-15 12:17:40

Wow! Jealous grin

Backforthis Thu 22-Oct-15 12:28:50

It has the little Mulberry tag on it. Surely the shop would've noticed that?

diddl Thu 22-Oct-15 12:35:30

Don't they all have a label inside with a serial number?

DinosaursRoar Thu 22-Oct-15 12:37:12

oh you are lucky! It doesn't look as big as a standard bayswater, I think it might be the East West Bayswater - which is not as big and no longer for sale (sadly, they are just the size I'd like).

If you have a Mulberry shop near you, you could pop in and ask them if it's genuine...

(Some charity shop workers are sadly oblivious to what's a more valuable make and I've seen things sold off very cheaply, seems a shame as the charity could get much more money if they e-bayed them).

JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 12:43:45

It has a serial number inside.

How would you clean the metal? Would you brasso it? 《Nervous 》

Little sis is always showing off her bags. Which i can't but she hasn't anything as good as thissmile

NattyGolfJerkin Thu 22-Oct-15 12:45:22

You can search the serial number. Some are famously used for fakes

diddl Thu 22-Oct-15 12:49:29

This is interesting re the logo.

JeffsanArsehole Thu 22-Oct-15 12:53:34

Send it off to the handbag spa where they will return it to you as good as new (and worth about £300) for about £50.

Apparently they're miracle workers.

bishboschone Thu 22-Oct-15 13:31:54

My sister runs a charity shop. They get a lot of fakes which she sells cheap. She is aware they are fakes and of in doubt she goes to a local mulberry stockist who check for her . Depending on the shop and staff I would think they were very aware of the brands. Mulberry is a very well known brand and the staff are all trained . Of course maybe they were all off sick and the 90 year old volunteer priced it shock

SarahDuckandMummy Thu 22-Oct-15 13:40:56

I am spoilt lucky enough to have a Bayswater. On the little gold metal tag on the inside it has mulberry embossed above it. There is also a little material tag on the inside that says 'Made in England', although I don't think they are anymore. The outside tag with the padlock in it has a little tree embossed on it.

But I guess it doesn't really matter if it's real or not, I bet it will clean up quite nicely and when you're walking around with it people won't notice little details like that!

JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 14:13:26

Ok in in a small rural town in ireland. Charity shop is small. Ladies who work there are in their 70's

Mulberry isn't that common here.

I've google a few sites a all of your suggestions. I can't find the serial number coming up as fake anywhere.

The number is 026904 if anyone fancies trying too.

Because I'm in ireland. I can't really pop in anywhere to see if it real as there is no stand alone store here.

Any idea how I would clean the metal? Brasso 《nervous 》

JugglingTheBalls Thu 22-Oct-15 14:18:19

Sarah I can't see "made in England "anywhere on it. Everything else seem ok. Apart from it only having one key. All buckles on it are embossed.
I'd love to know if it's real《 I don't want my dsis getting smug if it turns out to be fakesmile

CoronaExtra Thu 22-Oct-15 14:18:20

Mulberry Bags are usually not lined inside and are just the raw other side of the leather. Is that lined?

ClaraLane Thu 22-Oct-15 14:19:03

Definitely ask them on the Purse Forum to authenticate it for you. I don't think the East West cloches (the little metal padlock inside the leather dangly thing) normally say "Mulberry" on, it normally just has a tree stamp. They will also be able to give you some tips on how to clean it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now