Talk

Advanced search

gel nails question - do they peel at edges?

(15 Posts)
lorelei9 Thu 22-Oct-15 08:57:02

hi all
have a couple of posh things coming up tomorrow and next week so thinking of having these done.

what I find with regular nail polish is that the edges peel really fast - even done with care, base coat, top coat etc. So I'm thinking to do the gel to avoid this problem but will it happen anyway or are gel nails really that good?

Thanks for any advice.

emotionsecho Thu 22-Oct-15 09:03:38

Mine never peel at the edges, the gel stays until it is removed.

lorelei9 Thu 22-Oct-15 09:24:59

Thank you emotions

do you remove them at home and how long do they last?

I'm looking at about £30 in London, does that seem a fair price? It seems a lot but if they last 3 weeks or something...

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 22-Oct-15 09:27:36

I've had them 4 times and twice they've peeled. Plus they're a total PITA to remove compared to regular polish. Special occasions only and keep a matching bottle of polish for touch-ups is the only way for me now.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 22-Oct-15 09:28:38

Oh and regrowth is pretty noticeable on me from 2 weeks.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 22-Oct-15 09:29:43

I have a gel base and then shellac (or similar) on top....3 weeks and I usually go back as the regrowth looks ridiculous, rather than because the polish is failing.

I'm £30 for an infill and colour and currently have cosmic glitter....quite subtle for glitter...sort of sandy grey with gold, silver and deep blue flecks in it.

lorelei9 Thu 22-Oct-15 09:37:47

oh good point - my nails grow really fast...hmm.

curriegirl Thu 22-Oct-15 09:39:01

I have mine done every 2 weeks. Mine don't peel generally but if I have been doing a lot of diy they can lift slightly. I just take them off and wait for my next appointment. £30 is expensive but then again I am in Scotland and pay less than half of that.

emotionsecho Thu 22-Oct-15 09:40:44

Mine cost 36, I have the gel taken off and then reapplied at the salon. My nails grow very quickly with it on and yes it does look a bit odd when you have a gap at the bottom! However, I've not found it a PITA to remove.

They last weeks depending on how quickly your nails grow.

I also have a home kit which I use in between salon visits when necessary.

QforCucumber Thu 22-Oct-15 09:43:19

I pay £15 for a gel polish on my own nails as they are nicely shaped and long, first couple of times they peeled after a week.
Went to someone else and these have never peeled and last minimum 2 weeks, up to 4/5.

SenecaFalls Thu 22-Oct-15 09:51:55

I have shellac every three weeks or so. They start to lift from the edges at about the three week point, but that just helps them off easier with acetone.
Shellac (and similar like Gelish or OPI gel) works very well for me. I usually do removal at home before I go to the salon. I'm in the US and I pay $25-30.

BrendaandEddie Thu 22-Oct-15 11:01:46

i have nexgen

ROCK HAR

BrendaandEddie Thu 22-Oct-15 11:01:56

D

lorelei9 Thu 22-Oct-15 12:40:32

thanks for the all important D Brenda grin

BrendaandEddie Thu 22-Oct-15 22:26:23

lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now