Talk

Advanced search

Kitting out DD (who will be 2) for her first skiing trip and would love your suggestions?

(33 Posts)
SaltyGoodness Tue 20-Oct-15 17:51:12

Can't wait... I've really missed skiing these last 3 years and hoping the PFB will love the snow like we do.

Please tell me your best tips for toddler snow gear (I love a bargain but also don't mind paying for good quality) and what kit works best for 2 year olds, still in nappies?

trixymalixy Tue 20-Oct-15 17:54:19

Columbia salopettes are ace for toddlers in nappies. There's a zip from ankle to ankle which means you don't have to take off salopettes, jackets etc to change nappies.

You can usually buy them quite reasonably on eBay.

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 20-Oct-15 17:57:50

I just found some good bargains on the sports direct website, although my children are 4 and 6. I bought them skisuits and mittens and socks. We'll use normal long sleeved tops and hats that we already have.

SaltyGoodness Tue 20-Oct-15 18:19:45

Apple I was just on sportsdirect website thanks to an earlier thread but there wasn't a lot there for 2 year olds... Great stuff for older kids though! Have an irrational hatred of hot pink at the moment which limits my choices a bit blush

Swisswatch Tue 20-Oct-15 18:22:20

Make sure you get mittens with a little pocket in the back for a handwarmer (I think they are toddler safe - who knows?)
Tiny hands get mighty cold up there unless you are spring skiing. Gloves like that saved our ski holiday one year.

cathpip Tue 20-Oct-15 18:30:30

Check out polarn o pyret, a bit pricey but worth it. You can also find bits on eBay, also another good make is spotty otter and you can also find that on eBay too.

LIZS Tue 20-Oct-15 18:30:34

Try www.littletrekkers.co.uk/shop/index.php/browse/c5205520deb9c812e481a2cfdd9ec881 especially the clearance area. Also Decathlon. Be prepared to spend time indoors as they don't move around fast enough to keep themselves warm, mid afternoon is warmest for sledding and playing outside.

Artandco Tue 20-Oct-15 18:31:26

We have been since ours were weeks old. Tips:

- buy two pieces not a one piece. A) toilet access, even if not currently trained b) the coat part can be used all winter as main winter coat so you get much better value

- point above, but a nice coat part as they will be wearing all winter

- buy as big as possible so you get a few seasons out of stuff

- buy merino thermals. Warmest and last well. But in plain colours so again can use all year around when cold. Mine use their ski leggings all winter as regular leggings or under trousers when cold, same with tops.

- x2 of everything. Enough to change if dirty, but really they don't need that much

- cosy pjs that look more like non pjs so they can change into later afternoon and wear into hotel/ chalet / for dinner evening and they are sorted whenever they fall asleep

- mittens not gloves. Too many fingers!

prettybird Tue 20-Oct-15 18:41:48

TK Maxx sometimes has good stuff and is worth checking out.

I ended up getting snow boots out in the resort - maybe paid a bit more bit at least they had them in small sizes.

At 2, the rest of the clothes were just layers of good winter clothes. But there again, I live in Scotland! wink

Artandco Tue 20-Oct-15 19:03:42

Little Trekkers is good for snow boots/ gloves/ everything tbh

Racundra Tue 20-Oct-15 19:06:38

Columbia suits are the biz. Just buy the 'boys' version for decent colours (orange, red etc).

SaltyGoodness Tue 20-Oct-15 21:07:44

Thank you all for some fab suggestions! Trixy and Artandco, I had thought that a one-piece was better for this age to stop them getting snow all up their backs every time they roll around in it?

LIZS Tue 20-Oct-15 21:13:13

Agree with layers mentioned below. Tights and leggings, vest and longsleeved high neck top , fleece if needs be. When you go indoors you can strip the snowsuit/jacket off.

Liara Tue 20-Oct-15 21:13:51

Don't forget sunglasses! Take her along and try a few out so you can see which ones she is more likely to tolerate.

Do get a sledge to drag her along in. She'll love it.

Is she only just two or almost 3? If almost 3 she might love to try standing on skis with reins on for a bit. Even if she doesn't manage, the reins will come in handy next year when she starts skiing. You can rent tiny skis for a day to try out.

Make sure the mittens have a string connecting them that you can put in through her sleeves.

trixymalixy Tue 20-Oct-15 21:21:14

I prefer 2 piece suits as otherwise you need another jacket to wear to travel. The Columbia salopettes are quite high up their chest so little danger of snow up the back.

SaltyGoodness Tue 20-Oct-15 21:34:53

Liara she'll be only just 2 so might save the skis for next year, we can have enough fun tobogganing and rolling about.

Her super-warm Zara parka from last year still fits so I don't mind buying a one-piece as well.

I'd really love to know more about some of those amazing Scandinavian brands that are really practical and well thought out for babies in the snow?

Artandco Tue 20-Oct-15 21:46:18

Def two piece. The salopettes are bib like so go high up chest so no problem with snow

I would also try her on skis, you can hire and use on nursery slopes. But then I'm pretty hard core and had ds1 on skis at 20months, with a private ski instructor an hr an day. He's now 5 and zooms past us on red runs!

I usually get mine polarn o pyret salopettes, joha thermals, and Canada goose jackets ( the jackets aren't cheap!). All have lasted very well. When ds1 went at 20months I bought him age 2-3. He wore 2 years, and ds2 has worn 2 years. We just sold the jacket for 75% of what we paid for it so I'm pretty happy for 4 years hard use out of it. ( they both wore all winter in the UK also)

Artandco Tue 20-Oct-15 21:49:23

If her warm Zara jacket fits I would just put her in that tbh. Make won't be our skiing for hours so it will be fine with thermals and jumper underneath, salopettes go up to cheats with bib anyway, and hat/ gloves/ boots.

One thing I take is a warm blanket also so if you sit out of deck chairs outdoors in ski clothes for afternoon hot chocolate you can add blanket over child

Artandco Tue 20-Oct-15 21:50:04

If her warm Zara jacket fits I would just put her in that tbh. Make won't be our skiing for hours so it will be fine with thermals and jumper underneath, salopettes go up to cheats with bib anyway, and hat/ gloves/ boots.

One thing I take is a warm blanket also so if you sit out of deck chairs outdoors in ski clothes for afternoon hot chocolate you can add blanket over child

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 20-Oct-15 21:50:34

If you are going earlier in the year, you might be able to eBay them when you get back.

I preferred one pieces (all three of mine wore a second hand trespass one piece and we passed it on.) Less faffing and bulk.

Buy the warmest gloves, socks and boots you can find.
Socks Highest % of wool we could find.
Mitts After a very cold winter and a few days made miserable due to cold hands we invested in the best gloves we could find and have not looked back.
And since discovering Sorel we haven't bought anything else!!

CardiCorgi Wed 21-Oct-15 08:46:35

We use both one and two-pieces and found both to be good, I actually liked the one piece as there was less bulk round the middle.
A hat with earflaps is a good idea if it is very cold.
Some sort of barrier cream for the face (Weleda "Wind und Wetterschutz") if it is very cold, or a mechanical sunscreen if it is at all sunny.
Kamik winter boots are good but expensive. For us it is worth it as we can have snow any time from October to April.
Get mittens with long cuffs so that there is a good overlap with the ski suit (I'll link later when my computer decides to behave).

SaltyGoodness Thu 22-Oct-15 20:36:51

I'm taking notes.
Anotherday, those Sorel boots are the biz, just what I was looking for.
Cardiecorgie thanks for another vote for a one piece, opinion seems pretty divided so I might see if I can pick up salopettes for her as well as the Colombia one piece I found thanks to an earlier posters' tips. Also barrier cream!!!

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 22-Oct-15 20:52:08

We got DD's kit from Decathlon when she was 3. 2 piece suit, the jacket zips onto the trousers so it doesn't ride up. It was something like this:
www.decathlon.co.uk/midstyle-babies-ski-suit-id_8339998.html

trixymalixy Thu 22-Oct-15 22:11:00

I only ever buy sorel snow boots too. They sell well on eBay once they are outgrown too.

Also glove glue or a bit of elastic to avoid losing gloves.

Phoenix0x0 Fri 23-Oct-15 09:05:54

Defo buy a two piece...the jackets tend to fit for longer than the bottoms, so it's more cost effective in the long run.

Look in Costco if are a member as they sell ski wear.

You must buy her thermals (Long sleeved vest and long johns), thermal socks/ski socks, polo necks to wear on top of the thermal vest and maybe a micro fleece.

I would also buy a fleece lined hat (one that covers the ears) and ski gloves.

In regards to ski boots, I found the pull on boots for my DD at that age when we went skiing a pain! I found the ones with straps easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now