Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to achieve a polished appearance? routines and products tips

(4 Posts)
RaisinGirls Sun 18-Oct-15 14:47:42

I'm starting a new job soon and I want to use it as an opportunity to overhaul my skincare and make-up routines.

I want to achieve a polished appearance - how do I achieve this? At the moment my skin is blotchy and flaky (I've just been using boots cucumber products when I remember). After working at home for years and post baby, I'm down to using odd bits of left over foundation and lipstick. - Dior foundation, nars lipstick etc, but I really just plaster them on in about 30 seconds.

What should I be using on my skincare and how often. Exfoliation - what and when, oils, retin A, night cream?

What make up should I be wearing and how should I apply it?

All and any tips gratefully and desperately received!

DragonRojo Sun 18-Oct-15 17:48:51

If I were you, I would start by dumping the cucumber products. They are not nourishing and it sounds like your skin needs a thicker kind of cream. Get yourself a creamy cleanser and a moisturiser, and use both of them morning and evening. The Protect and Perfect range in Boots is good, but the most important thing is to actually use the products. If you forget our only use them sporadically, you will be wasting your money

chanie44 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:45:00

I agree, ditch the current skincare and start again. If you find products you like eg ones that smell nice, or make your skin feel good, you will use them everyday. I think you should start with a face wash and moisturiser.

I recommend adding one new item at a time, so you can see how your skin reacts to each product.

Caroline Hirons blog has some good skincare advice, although the products can be really expensive.

mrslebon Sun 18-Oct-15 22:38:10

Def ditch the cucumber stuff! I would recommend a cleansing balm which you rub gently into your skin and then wipe off with a flannel soaked in warm water. I use Clinique's Take the Day Off balm and it's fantastic (I've previously used Emma Hardie which is great but expensive). You get loads in a tub too. I got some off eBay for £10. Just use standard flannels (Wilko, Superdrug). Then use a liquid exfoliant which is gentler than using a scrub. I use a REN one but the Pixi Glow Tonic gets good reviews and M&S stock it now. I really rate Superdrug for serum - I have the Clearly Youthful one for night time and the Simply Pure one for day time. You also need a good day moisturiser and night moisturiser. Depends on your skin type of course so maybe ask for some samples from Clarins etc.? I wouldn't say an eye cream is an essential.

Really good advice to add one new item at a time, in case your skin reacts.

Re: make up - again, totally depends on your skin type, esp when it comes to foundation, but the Collection concealer gets good reviews on here and I'm on my 3rd or 4th tube: www.superdrug.com/Make-Up/Face/Concealer/Collection-Lasting-Perfection-Concealer-Fair-1/p/439400#.ViQQ5n6rTIU

I also think that blusher is a great way to look more perky and fresh. I use the Bobbi Brown pot rouge cream blusher and just dab it on to the apples of my cheeks, but you'll need to experiment to see what suits you. Again, worth asking for samples and getting a makeover done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now