Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What style would you say my kitchen/dining room is?

(110 Posts)
HoldTheGlam Sat 17-Oct-15 17:28:49

Hiya!

We've just had our dining part of the kitchen done. Looks fab, and I'm over the moon with it.

My DP insists that it's a vintage, shabby chic look( the rest of our home is similar, except for me releasing my new profound Essex Godess in our glam bedroom). I'm disagreeing with DP.. I know you probably can't comment on all of the house because I haven't added pictures, but it is the same more or less.

I dislike the 'distressed' look of vintage/shabby chic (shabby shit is what my Mum calls it grin), yet apparently this is also considered to fit that style? My MIL is the queen of vintage/shabby chic and her house has lots of distressed items and overall looks aged, where's I can't see the similarity between the two.

Am I right in saying our house has too much of a modern take/polished look to be considered shabby chic or vintage?

Sorry if this is a confusing post lol, and I'm not knocking off anyone's choices of style, shabby chic is lovely too grin

BitOfFun Sat 17-Oct-15 17:30:19

It's more Farmhouse, I would say.

InQuiteAPickle Sat 17-Oct-15 17:30:46

It's nice! I would have said "shabby chic/country cottage" style.

InQuiteAPickle Sat 17-Oct-15 17:31:28

Yy, actually I agree with Farmhouse.

NoelHeadbands Sat 17-Oct-15 17:31:50

Country?

I don't think it's overly 'anything' really, it's nice though

HoldTheGlam Sat 17-Oct-15 17:33:27

Is farmhouse not the same as shabby chic? I don't have a clue!

The design world intrigues me because the real farmhouses aren't quite as polished etc. Although equally as lovely (country air is my fave).

AnemonesCloser Sat 17-Oct-15 17:37:59

Modern farmhouse sounds about right.

Are you going to leave the plastic covers on the chair? My Auntie Mary does her Ford Fiesta, she leaves the plastic covers on the back seat.

HoldTheGlam Sat 17-Oct-15 17:39:42

Hi Anemones,

I wasn't going to leave the plastic covers on, no. Just didn't want to take them off until the cushion seats arrive! Can't risk anything lol

StrumpersPlunkett Sat 17-Oct-15 17:40:57

really not trying to be rude really really.
but it looks like photo's taken in a show room rather than a home.

WipsGlitter Sat 17-Oct-15 17:41:53

Is that your actual kitchen or a showroom?

NoelHeadbands Sat 17-Oct-15 17:43:43

To be fair, the pics only show the island and two chairs so you can't really get the feel of the room ie pictures, accessories etc

HoldTheGlam Sat 17-Oct-15 17:43:54

Actual kitchen confused lol

AnemonesCloser Sat 17-Oct-15 17:45:04

It takes a while for new things to get that lived in look.

I've got a new bathroom and I'm keeping it as showhomey for as long as possible! If anyone wants to use the toilet I hand them a bucket and tell them to go behind a hedge.

HoldTheGlam Sat 17-Oct-15 17:46:00

Anemones, are you being serious? I can't quite tell shock

AnemonesCloser Sat 17-Oct-15 17:51:03

I may be exaggerating wink

Runningupthathill82 Sat 17-Oct-15 19:07:30

It just looks a bit neutral to me. Not really one thing or another.

But I'd say definitely not farmhouse - to me farmhouse is more Aga, Welsh dressers and a cosy feel. This is more stark.

But to be fair I'm basing that on real farmhouses, as family live in them, rather than farmhouse "style."

Tomatoesareyum Sat 17-Oct-15 20:59:19

I would say it's fairly traditional and country. It not modern but it's very nice and sounds like it fits in with the style of your house

SixtyFootDoll Sat 17-Oct-15 21:03:32

Traditional?

youngestisapsycho Sat 17-Oct-15 21:07:05

It reminds me of American style kitchens.

Donthate Sat 17-Oct-15 21:08:01

Traditional. Can you fit between the dresser and your island? It looks very close.

Donthate Sat 17-Oct-15 21:10:00

Also what's happening with the drawer you can't open in the background of the first photo?

NahItsOkTa Sat 17-Oct-15 21:11:08

It's country. Shabby chic is an entirely different thing. That wood is gorgeous.

hackedoffnow Sat 17-Oct-15 21:13:47

How much?

hackedoffnow Sat 17-Oct-15 21:15:25

I'm equally concerned about drawers that can't be opened. Nice craftsmanship tho

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 17-Oct-15 21:18:31

I'm totally confused. The run of the cupboards is very unusual with the big spaces between them.

Is this your actual home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now