Talk

Advanced search

Wedding next week and still no dress. Help.

(22 Posts)

I'm not a regular on s&b, but
I have a problem and have heard you lot are pretty damned good at solving them...

I'm a size 14/16, 5'4 and had a baby 8 weeks ago by c-section which means I haven't been up to doing much exercise so I haven't lost any of the 3-4 stone I was hoping to put a dent in, and I have a wedding next weekend!

My tummy is still big and I have no idea as to the best style of dress to try and hide it,

I've spent the past 3 hours trying not to sob at all the lovely dresses that would look beautiful on thinner people. I have a budget of up to about £100. please can someone help?

ppandj Sat 17-Oct-15 07:30:59

Have you had a look at asos? The site and app is offline at the moment but should be back again soon and they have fast delivery and free returns. I'll have a look later and see if anything looks particularly good smile.

Diddlydokey Sat 17-Oct-15 07:33:40

Any preferred colours, length, necklines?

Budget?

Boob access?

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 17-Oct-15 07:33:43

Have you got a waitrose nearby? You can order from john lewis and its there by next morning. I brought a seraphine dress from theee recently which I'll still wear after baby comes very flattering.

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 17-Oct-15 07:34:29

And they have dresses good for feeding in as do Isabelle Oliver also can order from JL.

ppandj Sat 17-Oct-15 07:35:01

PS congratulations on your baby!

Runningupthathill82 Sat 17-Oct-15 08:10:17

I got married when I was pregnant so had a fair bit of tummy to hide! Bought a dress by Ariella. Not a maternity dress, but SO flattering, beautifully made, and didn't break the bank.
They've got a sale on at the moment, too, and some v nice stuff... How about something like the below? With silver accessories?

ariella.com/store/zeta-50s-prom-dress/

I've looked on asos and there was nothing that looked like it would be flattering, I almost don't know what to look for... John Lewis is a good call I'll try that. I like the Ariella one but not sure if it will emphasise my tummy?

My boobs are quite big at the moment too so think a v neck is required, I'm not fussy on colours other than prefer to wear with black tights as have varicose veins on my lower leg that are unsightly. I don't need boob access, I ff and I'm leaving the children with grandma and finally budget is maximum £100.

Thanks everyone x

Runningupthathill82 Sat 17-Oct-15 15:15:17

Do you already have shoes and a jacket/bag in mind? If so, could influence choice of colours...

outputgap Sat 17-Oct-15 15:23:20

I love these, in white and ivory, and lots of deep autumnal colours too. All under £100, just, on this page...

www.vivienofholloway.com/women-c70/dresses-c10/1950s-halterneck-circle-dress-t83?page=3

Runningupthathill82 Sat 17-Oct-15 15:25:43

I love VoH dresses but IME they're not very forgiving on a tummy. You'd also need a petticoat to make them work - (though I bought my petticoat for £9 off EBay rather than getting the "proper" one and it was fine!)

outputgap Sat 17-Oct-15 15:29:24

Ah, that's a shame. I thought that shape would cover a multitude.

ppandj Sat 17-Oct-15 16:25:35

This one comes in navy also. I would still wear black tights with navy but I know some people aren't keen on that! But you could add a bit to it by wearing a jacket?

I ordered a similar style from a company called lindybop and it looked awful on me.

I'm not set on shoes, I can buy shoes after the dress, I tend to wear mid heels as being a sahm I live in trainers so high heels kill me.

Runningupthathill82 Sat 17-Oct-15 17:14:04

How about this? The neckline would be very flattering, and I think it'd do wonders in the tummy area. Comes in various colours too:
www.johnlewis.com/jolie-moi-v-neck-lace-fit-and-flare-dress/p2043247?colour=Navy

Runningupthathill82 Sat 17-Oct-15 17:15:12

I personally like the red. And as it fits above the tummy and then flares out, I think it'd flatter your shape?

ppandj Sat 17-Oct-15 17:36:35

Ooh running I like that! I might give that one a go.

poocatcherchampion Sat 17-Oct-15 17:39:18

Have you looked at pepperberry? It is the clothes line of Bravissimo. I think you might need to go to an actual shop for this. Sorry. I would hate to at that point.

On the plus side I thought it was your own wedding dress which was a worry.

ppandj Sat 17-Oct-15 17:40:17

OP not sure how well this one would go down, as it isn't V neck, but I have this and I think it's good value for money. I saw someone wearing it and asked her where it was from and them ordered it in my old size (I'm slimming after baby) as a "target dress". Anyway I tried it on as I am now (with a baby belly still) and it minimised it on my body shape. Material is a sort of crepe so not everyone's cup of tea but as I say, good value.
www.boohoo.com/restofworld/invt/dzz97135&_$ja=tsid:70380%7Ccid:264324995%7Cagid:20723675675%7Ctid:kwd-18283950120%7Ccrid:70368825035%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:1448439937917050268%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o3&gclid=CKaQtLf4ycgCFQUewwodaHQHFA

thunderbird69 Sat 17-Oct-15 17:43:33

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Jacques+Vert+Soft+Etched+Floral+Dress/225449441,default,pd.html

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Jacques+Vert+Soft+Pearl+Spot+Dress/226627301,default,pd.html

either of these appeal?

Notonaschoolnight Sat 17-Oct-15 18:43:10

I'm in the same boat just 2" taller than you but same size just had to post this back, beautifully made but I look like I'm wearing a dressing gown

Notonaschoolnight Sat 17-Oct-15 18:45:24

Now waiting for this to be delivered by John Lewis not convinced but feeling desperate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now