Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Cloud 9 v ghds

(24 Posts)
zippyswife Tue 13-Oct-15 13:15:41

I have crazy course thick frizzy hair. My ghds broke and someone on here recommended cloud 9. Just wondered if I could have a show of hands before I buy ghd v cloud 9. And as I have thick hair should I go for wide plates. Thanks!

Aquamarine70 Tue 13-Oct-15 14:40:30

I have just ordered Cloud 9's as I've read they are just like the original GHD's. I had my original ones for 12 years & they were the best thing ever.

zippyswife Tue 13-Oct-15 14:45:42

Yes mine lasted for 10 years and they were great. Can you update with your opinion of cloud 9 when you've tried them please? What's your hair type?

faustina Tue 13-Oct-15 15:26:03

look forward to finding out too! My old GHDs which were perfect, broke a couple of years ago and the ones (still GHDs) I have now just don't get hot enough - they are rubbish!

Aquamarine70 Tue 13-Oct-15 15:44:11

I am naturally curly but fine hair. I blow dry straight then iron. I lost a lot of my hair after being pregnant. Drying & straightening is the only way to get my hair to look decent. I will update after I use them. They should arrive tomorrow.

ZippyLongstocking Tue 13-Oct-15 20:36:42

When my ghds gave up I brought cloud 9 ones & I love them don't regret buying them. Not sure if it was because my ghds were d but the. Cloud 9's seem much better I have really thick hair & have to do the same section more than once but it is a lot less with the cloud 9 ones my hair is also less dry with them.

zippyswife Thu 15-Oct-15 17:30:24

Aqua how did you get on with the cloud 9s?

Aquamarine70 Sat 17-Oct-15 11:21:17

The parcel arrived on Fri but I was out so I have to pick it up on Monday from the post office. I will let you know how I go with them. I want the GHD air dryer too as my other one I reckon will be about to die soon.

zippyswife Sat 17-Oct-15 12:37:31

What's the ghd dryer like? I've never used that before.
Just straightened my hair with my remingtons it looks so shit I will purchase cloud 9s on your approval wink

Aquamarine70 Sat 17-Oct-15 15:08:58

My other hairdryer isn't a GHD one but a normal professorial one. It's losing it's power now so I'm going to treat myself to the GHD one. I'll update after I have used the Cloud 9's.

zippyswife Sat 17-Oct-15 19:14:16

Great! Thank you!

Cheekybiscuit Sat 17-Oct-15 19:25:00

Big thumbs up for cloud 9s from me too. Have thick curly/frizzy hair and loved my original GHDs for a decade. When they stopped working, my DH went off to get me a new set but came back with Cloud 9s on recommendation of my hairdresser. They are totally fab, even better than the GHDs.

zippyswife Sat 17-Oct-15 19:35:07

Great cheeky! Are they like the old ghds? I so miss mine they made my
Crazy unruly hair all sleek and shiny!

Cheekybiscuit Sat 17-Oct-15 22:16:28

I think they are even better than the GHDs. They heat up really quickly and make my hair lovely and sleek but not too dry. smile

zippyswife Sat 17-Oct-15 22:37:32

They sound perfect. Are they regular ones or wide plates? Not sure to go back to wide plates (I am lazy).

Cheekybiscuit Sun 18-Oct-15 07:34:57

Regular ones, quite thin actually.

BrendaandEddie Sun 18-Oct-15 07:40:44

Warning that after being blase about straighteners and not even using the very much, I lost a good 2 inches of one section of the back of my hair gradually and it took me years to grow it back.

Unless you are very very curly id suggest letting them go!

TimeToMuskUp Sun 18-Oct-15 09:06:54

One of my close friends gets hair stylers gifted for her work so passes them onto me once she's done. The GHD air styler is fabulous, cuts drying time right down and leaves my naturally-wavy hair more glossy.

I'm less swayed on the Cloud 9. The rollers are nothing short of amazing but the straighteners (wide plates) don't seem any sort of improvement on the GHD's, I can't tell if it's how I use them or that my hair isn't coarse enough but nope, not convinced on them.

zippyswife Sun 18-Oct-15 09:09:57

With the cloud 9s are there various heat settings? Do you need it on the highest to get enough heat? If so does it fry he hair? My hair was never split after a decade of ghd use but after 2 months of the Remington on high setting my hair was frazzled and split!

TimeToMuskUp Sun 18-Oct-15 15:32:28

It has several heat settings and on my hair (fine blonde and wavy) I only use the lowest setting for the same results as I'd get from the GHD's, so I suppose the long-term benefits are going to be better.

XiCi Sun 18-Oct-15 16:45:33

The cloud9s are better but do keep your receipt. I'm on my 3rd pair in 12 months due to faults on the first 2 pairs. They have replaced them but it's annoying

Aquamarine70 Mon 19-Oct-15 14:04:26

I tried them today & my hair looks so smooth. I tried the hottest setting but it felt too hot so I used it one level down. The plates glide really smoothly. They seem different to my original GHD's, I think my old ones were hotter. My hair looks like it used to so I am happy with them.

zippyswife Mon 19-Oct-15 16:55:11

Sold! I'm convinced. Thank you all. Glad you're happy with them Aqua. Did you just get them from a salon?

Aquamarine70 Tue 20-Oct-15 05:34:08

I ordered mine online. I am in Australia & they are from a professional hair & beauty supplier.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: