Talk

Advanced search

My short hair is starting to grow out a bit and looks HIDEOUS..help

(13 Posts)

Had a short cut in August. Liked it for about 2 hours and have hated it every moment since.. they didn't get it right and it was VERY short and top heavy (on thick wavy hair) Looks rubbish.

Now 6 weeks later it is even worse.. tufty from tons of badly cut layers.. starting to mullet a bit at the back where the tiny inch is growing horizontally. I have glasses on the top of my head to hold the thick mess on top down a bit.

I do NOT want to stay short..but how the heck do I grow it? HOW DO you grow out really short horrible hair?

I am never having short hair ever again.. it has aged me 10 years and I look like Elvis Costello !

divere Thu 01-Oct-15 23:05:53

It's a long, painful process but it will grow. I wore a thick headband for a few weeks to disguise the mullet, and also had extensions out in just at the sides so it looked like a graduated bob.
It did help disguise the fact that the back was longer than the sides, but my hair was nicer/thicker on the back compared to sides for ages after it had grown out, due to extensions not being great for hair.

My hair is now collar bone length. You'll get there!

Do you mind me asking, how long does hair have to be to get extensions put in? I have been wondering about it as frankly my hair has made me feel really miserable...I KNOW that it is ridiculous...it's only hair..there are much worse problems I could have, but still...

( it was cut sort of round my ears too.. so now I have tufts growing horizontally there too... )

GinBunny Thu 01-Oct-15 23:16:37

I hate to say this Medusa but from having been through the pain, the absolute best thing you can get done is having it cut again - this time a decent cut that will grow out easier. If it's annoying you now it will get worse before it gets better. You might even like it short if it's cut better, who knows?

thanks

Bananajam Fri 02-Oct-15 07:32:04

I agree, go see a hairdresser and explain. They can then shape it so that it's slightly less painful. It will take a while but with a decent growing out style you can feel a little more confident. Been there, done that!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 02-Oct-15 13:02:07

Whenever I see posts about "shall I get my hair cut" there's lots of " It's hair, it grows" replies.

Yes , hair grows but it is a long process.

I had my hair short and managed to grow it into a bob then longer.

Had it cut again 2 years ago, and it has changed so much in texture, much more wavy. So it's ungrowable unless I want to go through the urgh phase which I don't.

You need a hairdresser that can really understand short hair. In my experience, there aren't many .

cressetmama Fri 02-Oct-15 13:15:07

I feel your pain Medusa but PPs are right. Track down a really good hairdresser who likes cutting hair that is thick, short and curly (preferably one whose aesthetic is similar to your own). Ask around, stop people in the street, compliment their cut and ask who did it. Depending on your location, ask for recommendations on MN, and be prepared to spend more than you would expect; really good hairdressers are rare birds and charge likewise!

divere Fri 02-Oct-15 14:17:36

I can send you some pictures via PM if you'd like. I had a short pixie with quite a long fringe, shortest hairs were probably an inch or so long when I had extensions put in. I had a friend who was a hairdresser who spent an unbelievable amount of time fiddling with it, bless her.

SpaggyBollocks Fri 02-Oct-15 14:29:05

one word:

hats.

TheGrallon Fri 02-Oct-15 14:51:52

I had a really awful haircut once, practically shaved on one side and then longer on the other side, they did manage to put in extensions but I could only have them to the length of a bob, sort of just past chin length...they did the job until hair was bearable again....it was eye wateringly expensive

FauxFox Fri 02-Oct-15 15:04:48

Can you get a load of mousse and some shine serum and just part it and flatten it down to get you through this stage like Emma in the pic? I feel your pain and have the fear after a similar thing happened to me at age 10. I am 37 and still not over it!

Divere ..yes please!!!!

Fauxfox.. if I did that I'd look like Hitler.. seriously, it is not a look I coould pull off and my hair is too wiry..I'd need industrial glue grin

I'd gladly wear a hat for the next 6 months or so..but not an option in my job sadly!

divere Sat 03-Oct-15 08:17:56

Ah OP, I can't work out how to send pictures via PM! Apologies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now