Talk

Advanced search

Clothes that don't shrink

(24 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Thu 01-Oct-15 20:55:28

I wash my clothes on 30 degrees but they always shrink, after a couple of washes, is it because they're cheap? Where can I buy clothes that don't shrink please??!!

verenti Thu 01-Oct-15 22:19:26

I never have a problem with clothes shrinking and always wash at 40. I buy my clothes from all different shops - Uniqlo, Gap, Jigsaw, New Look . . . . Where do you get your clothes from?

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 01-Oct-15 22:23:07

Only top that I have that has shrunk was from Toast and cost an fortune so it doesn't necessarily mean things won't shrink. Also expensive shops deploy the Dry Cleaning 'get out of jail free' card more liberally.

Bolshybookworm Thu 01-Oct-15 22:27:06

I have this problem all the time with cotton jersey tops. Gap, whistles, top shop, Zara have all shrunk after a few washes. It's particularly noticeable if you're long in the torso. The best tops I've bought have been from American apparel (avoid the fashiony crap and buy their tshirts and henleys). Never shrink and keep their shape really well. I have unisex henleys from 6 yrs ago that still look new.

Bolshybookworm Thu 01-Oct-15 22:27:46

H and M often good too (and tend to be cut longer as well).

MoreSnowPlease Sun 04-Oct-15 08:25:56

Yes I'm looking in the body, bought from h&m and must have lost a couple of inches in length and gone very wide. I am tumble drying as well but should be able to do this? Thanks for the tips on shops!

SuburbanRhonda Sun 04-Oct-15 08:32:41

Are you talking about cotton jersey clothes? They vary greatly in quality. With the cheap ones the knit is unstable (you often get the seams starting to twist after a few washes). The most stable knit is double knit but they tend to be slightly thicker.

Pretty much all cotton jersey shrinks to some degree in the tumble dryer. I dry all mine on a radiator now.

poocatcherchampion Sun 04-Oct-15 08:34:38

Are you really getting fatter??? grin

None of my clothes shrink but they are already tight and I wash them warmer than that. I would suspect you are cooking them in the tumble drier.

Nonnainglese Sun 04-Oct-15 08:37:58

I think the tumble dryer bit is the problem, if they have Lycra or elastase or are pure cotton you're cooking them! What do the labels say?

OldJoseph Sun 04-Oct-15 08:38:57

It's the tumble drying that's shrinking your clothes.

hiccupgirl Sun 04-Oct-15 10:13:41

As above, it's the tumble dryer that's the problem.

I wash everything at 40 degrees and have clothes mostly from cheap shops like H&M. I've never had a problem with clothes shrinking but I don't have a tumble dryer. It's all line dried in the summer or on an airer in the winter.

Hopefully Sun 04-Oct-15 10:49:12

Tumbling trashes clothes. <helpful>

verenti Sun 04-Oct-15 11:33:37

^^ true. I only tumble sheets and towels these days as I hate ruining clothes.

herecomesthsun Sun 04-Oct-15 11:56:48

We hang clothes by a dehumidifier, less ironing and no shrinkage.

SourceofInformation Sun 04-Oct-15 11:59:02

Agree it's the tumble drying. I find all cotton jersey shrinks in the tumble dryer, regardless of the quality

Mintyy Sun 04-Oct-15 12:02:00

Actually, I find H&M are just about the worst! I've got two different tops from there which are unwearable after two washes at 40 degrees and line drying. Am boycotting them from now on.

StephenKatz Sun 04-Oct-15 12:56:36

I agree that H&H are the worst offenders for this. Tops get washed at 30° and never ever tumble dried and they still loose inches off the body, whilst becoming massively wider! Also River Island. I have more faith in George at Asda, and Gap.

StephenKatz Sun 04-Oct-15 12:57:48

H&M!! We need an edit button! Could get rid of that stray comma too!

Hopefully Sun 04-Oct-15 13:54:10

I have never found H&M shrinks at all, but it's rare in the extreme for me to wash at anything over 30 degrees for clothes since I bought a fancy pants washing machine, so maybe that's it? Actually I was recently thinking that quality had improved in a lot of shops, but it occurs to me that it's probably the insanely expensive washing machine taking better care of them...

Bolshybookworm Sun 04-Oct-15 14:47:32

I don't tumble dry and I only wash at 30 degrees and yet still some tops shrink (even when they say 40 on the label angry). I don't buy as much h and m as I used too (hard to get into town now I have kids!), so maybe the qualities gone downhill? Always found their cotton tops and vests good though.

I was particularly annoyed with whistles. I bought two tops thinking that they'd last me longer and be better quality (other stuff I've had from them has been lovely). Shrank after one 30 wash angry. I wash them on a delicate cold wash now, which is ridiculous for a long sleeved t-shirt.

Hopefully Sun 04-Oct-15 16:29:21

Whistles quality is utterly shit, IME. I really think Whistles is one of the most overpriced 'high street' brands.

BrendaandEddie Sun 04-Oct-15 17:04:06

its the dryer - you probaby set it for too long

verenti Sun 04-Oct-15 20:14:25

I disagree that Whistles is utterly shit. I have quite a few tops that I have bought in their sales at very reasonable prices and they have all been very good quality. I have a couple of t-shirts, 2 silk shirts, 3 ponte jackets and several jumpers. I have been very pleased with them.

bishboschone Tue 06-Oct-15 17:52:23

I don't tumble dry anything decent , that's your problem . Drop dry tops as they always shrink in length on the dryer .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now