Talk

Advanced search

Could you wear a reed diffuser oil as a perfume?

(8 Posts)
EmmaWoodlouse Tue 29-Sep-15 21:39:10

There's one that I got on my hand by accident once while smelling the stick, and I really loved the smell of it on me. I subsequently tried the actual perfume spray version and it smelt completely different, and not nearly as nice. Is there any good reason why you couldn't use the diffuser version?

Misnomer Tue 29-Sep-15 21:43:39

My friend's daughter sniffed the reeds of her reed defuser and ended up with severe burns that needed hospital treatment. That's a good reason not to do it.

Doobigetta Tue 29-Sep-15 22:10:51

They are much, much more concentrated than anything you'd use on your skin. The legal concentration for essential oils in body products is 1 or 2%, but the recipes I've seen for diffusers are massively stronger. I can't remember how strong, but enough that I didn't bother trying to make them because of the cost. And essential oils in high concentrations, particularly the spicy ones, can burn you quite badly or at least give you a rash.

usual Tue 29-Sep-15 22:14:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pdxs Tue 29-Sep-15 23:02:02

if you really want to use as a fragrance, put a few drops on tissue/cotton wool ball & pop in with your clothes to fragrance them... ideally in a pocket or somewhere which would not be damaged by oil stain (unlikely but possible)

Tangfastics Tue 29-Sep-15 23:09:59

Christ no, you'll burn yourself!!

Bunbaker Tue 29-Sep-15 23:25:01

No. All the ones I have seen have warnings on them not to get the oil on your skin - with good reason.

EmmaWoodlouse Wed 30-Sep-15 08:26:42

Goodness, I didn't realise it could be that dangerous! It certainly didn't burn me when I had some on my hand, but I won't try wearing it deliberately in that case. I like the cotton wool tip pdxs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now