We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why are tshirts all so see-through nowadays?

(18 Posts)
divere Tue 29-Sep-15 07:45:59

Or were they always like this?

Granted, I only ever buy them in places like h&m, but I'm sick of having to either wear a vest underneath or have my bra showing though. I'm always roasting so really an extra layer in the form of a vest is not welcome!

acazc Tue 29-Sep-15 07:49:29

I agree! It's so annoying. I have a habit of sticking my hand up a top in the shop to see if I can see through it! Who wants to wear a vest with everything?!

Snoozebox Tue 29-Sep-15 07:50:47

To save costs...less cotton. H and M is a serial offender

I've been wondering this too. So many more basic tops, whether loosely shaped or not are seetheough to a degree and it's annoying.

There does appear to be a trend for women showing their bras under their tops these days though. I've lost count of the amount of women I've seen walking around,in the day, with chiffon/sheer tops and a fully on display bra!

I don't care if it makes me a prude,it's just wrongblush

MrsRossPoldark Tue 29-Sep-15 07:54:46

I've noticed this too - especially white t-shirts when they are being worn by a white girl with a black bra under - really?? Some girls round here really need to invest in flesh-coloured bras [NB not white bras]! It isn't just white t-shirts though, so I'd assume that's they should be renamed 'sweatshop, cheapy' t-shirts?

Other explanation: Despite our attempts to improve working conditions, or maybe because of it, cut backs are being made by using inferior materials in order to pay the workers a living wage?

If that's the price, then I'm prepared to buy a flesh-coloured bra, so I can wear a t-shirt made by someone being paid decently? If I'm wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was, then manufacturers need to get a grip of what its market wants. It comes under the same heading of selling us choc bars in a 3-pack but charging the same as we did for a 4-pack last week and hoping we won't notice. We do notice, but like sheep, we carry on buying and don't complain.

Floisme Tue 29-Sep-15 07:54:50

Have you tried the H&M LOGG range? I got one at the weekend and it's organic cotton, thick and I'm pretty sure it's not see through. £7.99. The colour selection's more limited than their main range but mine's burgundy and I'm really pleased with it.... so far.

divere Tue 29-Sep-15 07:55:42

I love h&m fit and tshirt shapes too. Infuriating.

I bought a lovely pink-y v neck tshirt in h&m on the weekend and I've just put it on with a darkish nude bra and you can see it. I can't do the bloody school run with my undies on show!

I wouldn't mind if I was paying £2 a tshirt, but at almost a tenner a pop you'd expect something a bit thicker, surely. I can't bring myself to spend any more than 10 on a tshirt.

divere Tue 29-Sep-15 07:57:37

I'll have a look at the LOGG range. My local h&m is fairly small so I'll look online. I bought a lovely, soft, thick denim-look shirt from the LOGG range. It's so nice.

Doje Tue 29-Sep-15 08:01:25

Agree with pp. The emphasis is on the consumer wanting cheaper and cheaper clothes. The only way to do this really is to cut quality.

OddBoots Tue 29-Sep-15 08:03:45

I was going to say I have always found the Sainsbury's Tu range to be a nice thick quality but then I saw this one, what is that all about??

ivykaty44 Tue 29-Sep-15 08:04:14

Cheap, sweat shop work places, next, m&s all the same foreign cheap labour. You can smell it in some stores - tis awful.

I would rather pay more for clothes that would last longer and do have items that have lasted years, but it is a struggle to find items.

Floisme Tue 29-Sep-15 08:18:46

Also People Tree although they only seem to be doing grey at the moment:
www.peopletree.co.uk/women/tops/basic-long-sleeve-scoop-in-grey

Yes pricier but at least you know it wasn't made in a sweat shop and good quality.

ApplesTheHare Tue 29-Sep-15 08:32:23

divere I was going to start this EXACT thread after visiting H&M the other day. I came to the conclusion that it's the Primark/fast fashion influence.

Snoozebox Tue 29-Sep-15 08:52:36

You can smell the cheap labour? I'm intrigued; tell me more!

Libitina Tue 29-Sep-15 09:10:33

You can smell the cheap labour? I'm intrigued; tell me more!

I can smell cheap clothes. Primark, George, New Look etc all smell the same.

divere Tue 29-Sep-15 09:34:07

I did buy one tshirt for 30 quid and even that is see-through! and splashed with oil

I have this image of myself becoming a bit of a princess not wanting to get messy if I wear nice quality clothes, although I would love one of these capsule wardrobes with few quality items. Maybe when the kids are older...

OneofTHOSEWomen Tue 29-Sep-15 09:44:41

I've seem those tops marketed as for layering, I.e buy two of these shite t shirts and wear one on top of the other. No thanks.

And the smell, I think it's the synthetic fabrics, they have a static kind of smell which gives me a headache. Not as bad as the smell of faux leather shoes though.

I have a couple of H&M LOGG t- shirts and they are thicker cotton, worth a look IMO.

Blueberrymuffint0p Tue 29-Sep-15 19:46:49

I've had some fantastic t shirts from primark. I actually bought them to sleep in but I wear them during the day. They're quite stretchy,really thick and they wash well. I've got them in black,navy,white,grey and striped. They were something like £3 each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now