Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Larger size shoes and boots

(40 Posts)
winkywinkola Wed 23-Sep-15 21:13:23

Where is the best place to buy these, please? Not Next. They only go up to a small 9.

KatharineClifton Wed 23-Sep-15 21:16:54

I've just been looking this evening for my DD who is a size 9 triple E. Brantano we have here and they have only 1 pair suitable which are rubbish. So still looking - there are a few online but it's expensive to make a mistake! Clarks do very few too which is pretty bad!

CMOTDibbler Wed 23-Sep-15 21:21:09

Tall Girls and Long Tall Sally both do large sizes

HettyD Wed 23-Sep-15 21:26:13

Cheap shoes - new look and Evans (dotty p) online both do a wide 9. For a classier shoe look at duo boots - they do boots by your calves width (great for ex-hockey goalkeepers!!) and shoes, both up to a wide 9. Clarke do some shoes to a 9 but you have to look online or go into store and ask to look in catalogue. Hope this helps...!!

winkywinkola Wed 23-Sep-15 21:26:19

Long Tall Sally are really poor quality.

Savagebeauty Wed 23-Sep-15 21:30:22

Crispins and totally large shoes in Chiltern St.
And Magnus.

Savagebeauty Wed 23-Sep-15 21:30:43

Katie Long and After Eight.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 23-Sep-15 21:35:32

Duo are great (but not cheap) and have changed their name in the last month or so to 'Ted and Muffy'.
Evans are good and cheap.

DorothyGherkins Wed 23-Sep-15 21:35:49

Hush Puppies do a few nines. Lou Lou which is online only. Its a real pain isn't it big feet - it totally affects how I dress, as I can rarely find nice shoes to go with it. (Size 10 here.)

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 23-Sep-15 21:36:13

La redoute have large sizes in some ranges

winkywinkola Wed 23-Sep-15 21:44:18

I know Dorothy. Who decided women's feet only go up to an 8?!??

I bought some Jones the Bootmaker boots from Amazon the other day. They said they were a 9. I should have known better.

So frustrating.

ouryve Wed 23-Sep-15 21:44:19

John Lewis have a small selection online - no idea about instore
de.johnlewis.com/browse/women/womens-shoes-boots/size=9/_/N-fk6Z1z14009?zoneId=1
Hotter do lots of styles in a 9, it seems (had a look after checking out JL)
www.hotter.com/gb/en/womens-size-9
Charles Clinkard (if you're in the NE) have sizes up to 11 - might be worth scouring the website for brand inspiration, at least, then searching elsewhere if you're nowhere near.
www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/women-c1/9-t61

DorothyGherkins Wed 23-Sep-15 21:52:07

I hesitate to recommend Pavers for a young girl, its Old Fogey Heaven, but they do have a selection in 9 s and 10 s - a few are passable, but why do they have to be so fugly? Bad enough having big feet, we don't want to make them look any worse!

DorothyGherkins Wed 23-Sep-15 21:54:50

Oh and Magnus of Northampton too are online. Once again a right rollicking fugly selection of shoes, but sometimes amongst the grot there are one or two acceptable pairs. Its soul destroying isn't it. Curvissa also have a few larger sizes.

SaltedCaramels Wed 23-Sep-15 21:54:54

crispins is great (but expensive)

KatharineClifton Wed 23-Sep-15 21:56:50

If anyone could find me a pair of leather ankle boots for a 13yo which have a sole that looks like it would last more than 5 mins for around £50 I should be eternally grateful as it's beyond me!

KatharineClifton Wed 23-Sep-15 21:58:24

* Size 9 triple e

Pupsiecola Wed 23-Sep-15 21:59:12

There was a thread on this last week with some great suggestions:-

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2464438-Size-ten-shoes-for-a-teenage-girl?

DorothyGherkins Wed 23-Sep-15 21:59:22

Varca do mainly sandals, but have one or two loafer type shoes in big sizes.

KatharineClifton Wed 23-Sep-15 22:11:47

Oh my word, Hush Puppies have really come on!! My DD would love the Vivianna in the unlikely event I showed them to her.

SomeDizzyWhore18O4 Wed 23-Sep-15 22:51:40

Taking Shape go up to a 9 and they're all wide fit. Not a huge range and a bit hitty missy but you might find something!

PingPongBat Wed 23-Sep-15 23:18:38

I'm taking notes here as I'm a wide 9 (43) and DD is an even wider 9 / 9.5 & we're struggling to get shoes for her. And I'm not paying £235 for a pair of ballet pumps (Crispins)!! Fortunately Converse all star lows - which are the school shoes that all her friends wear - seem to go up to a 12 and are wide enough for her.

Taking Shape only seem to go up to a 42, which isn't really a UK 9, more like an 8.5. I've had success with Gabor, Hotter (some non-fugly styles amongst the horrors) and Clarks wide fit.

Savagebeauty Thu 24-Sep-15 07:42:27

I'm a narrow 9 and its a nightmare.
Pisses me off that shoes in large sizes are virtually orthopaedic.....there is such a market out there for fashionable quality shoes .
My shoes tend to last years as I'm terrified of them falling to pieces..I use a good cobbler to get them soled and heeled regularly.
Gabor are good quality and not that £££ ..but too bloody wide for me.

Go to Chiltern St on a Saturday to see lots of tall big footed women going from shoo to shop trying to find a pair of shoes which fit!!!

I order Sam Edelman ballet pumps from America in bulk.

winkywinkola Thu 24-Sep-15 10:38:06

I found this site

DorothyGherkins Thu 24-Sep-15 12:09:44

I don't think shoe manufacturers have any idea who they are making size 9 s upwards for. The "fashionable" shoes aren't usually very on trend, and the rest are just ugly, impractical and downright expensive. A few years back, if I found a shoe I liked, then I could usually bank on extending its life a few years by having it resoled and reheeled - they are made such these days that you cant even do that. I hate the fact you have to practically take a mortgage out for a decent pair of shoes. I recently bought a pair of leather loafers from Long Tall Sally, £75. Hey ho, I thought, they ll probably last me a few years. When they arrived, yes the outside were leather, the inners were a rigid thick plastic - I wasn't paying £75 for sweaty rigid shoes to give me blisters, so they went straight back without even trying them on. Sigh!! Why is it so difficult to get practical comfy shoes??? I buy mens boating shoes/mocassins for everyday with jeans (and they are so much better quality, longer lasting and comfortable and ££££s cheaper than womens shoes,) but you cant wear them to an interview/wedding/important occasion. I would LOVE to be able to go into any old shop and just enjoy choosing and buying a pair of size 10 shoes. Men can buy up to a size 13 without difficulty.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: