Gel nails - do they wreck your real nails?

(16 Posts)
knowler Sun 20-Sep-15 21:04:09

Hello, I'm thinking of getting gel nails as I'm very attracted to having pristine painted nails for ages. But do they really last and for how long? Also, how do you get it off? Is it worth doing or does it wreck your nails?

Thanks smile

BrendaandEddie Sun 20-Sep-15 21:06:01

I have powder nails - dunno what is is, the brand is nexgen

my nails have been shit for years, are now stronger and longer

SilverNightFairy Sun 20-Sep-15 21:10:02

Like Brenda, I have Nexgen nails. I love them. I can go up to three weeks without a maintenance visit to the salon. I honestly don't know if they wreck your nails because my nails were crap to begin with ( big nail biter..)

sassytheFIRST Sun 20-Sep-15 21:10:11

Last 3 weeks on my nails but they do grow off so look a bit daft for the last week. As long as your technician lets them soak off for long enough (minimum 15 mins really) your nails shouldn't be damaged ime. I am a bit concerned about all that uv light - wonder if there will a new form of cancer : cancer of the cuticles in 20 years time??

knowler Sun 20-Sep-15 21:17:02

Thanks, I'd not heard of powder nails. Cancer of the cuticles sassy.... One thing that I'd never thought to worry about!!

BrendaandEddie Sun 20-Sep-15 21:17:50

yup nail biter too = Nexgen has made my nails SO much better

Ditto three weeks

Getuhda348 Mon 21-Sep-15 10:24:50

I bought my own lamp. Totally worth it. They last until your nails grow out. I leave them a week between polishes to give them a break and rub coconut oil in them. Just don't peel them off!!! That's what damages the nails make sure you remove them properly for a min of 15 minutes.

Oly5 Mon 21-Sep-15 11:03:51

I think gel wrecks nails- I only have them for special occasions

BlameItOnTheBogey Tue 22-Sep-15 02:40:38

Hasn't wrecked my nails.

Sassy I always plaster my hands in sunscreen before going to the salon. If that's not your thing, you can buy special gloves to wear. They look a bit daft but you know...

murphys Tue 22-Sep-15 08:26:50

This is one of the reasons why I haven't had mine done. My mum did hers and her nails were terrible afterwards for a long time. She said she wouldn't do it again. Its made her nails all yellowed and so soft.

I think everyone is different though, I just stick with my own nails which I am fortunate to do as they are strong and lovely and white. I just wear clear polish.

carrie74 Tue 22-Sep-15 12:26:46

Mine are definitely affected having gel, but they're not brilliant anyway (tendency to peel and then break easily - this is what happens if I'm gel-free). It means I tend to go from one episode of gel to the next, although I think if it's taken off properly by the salon, they're better about making sure your nails are in as good condition as possible when you leave. Regularly using plenty of solar oil and a good nail strengthener definitely helps too.

curriegirl Tue 22-Sep-15 12:56:12

I have mine done every 2 weeks. The Jessica gel version. My nails are softer when the gel comes off but nice and strong with it on. Nails grow very quickly so I'd say all in it is good. It can wreck your nails if they are not taken off properly though so you need to get it done properly or learn to do it yourself.

AlisonWunderland Tue 22-Sep-15 13:02:06

I do my own at home using sensationail.
They've just bought out stick on nail shields which you apply to nail before all the Polish. When it's time to remove, soak for five or ten minutes in water (no acetone) and peel off. Brilliant!

nottheOP Tue 22-Sep-15 13:08:56

Shellac does a bit but is a lot better if you don't let them buff your nails beforehand and you don't pick it off. I remove myself with nail polish remover on cotton wool wrapped in foil and then using an orange stick to get it off. It's much better after that.

I usually get 2 weeks out of them before the regrowth annoys me too much.

AsTimeGoesBy Tue 22-Sep-15 13:13:43

I've had gel about three times and it hasn't wrecked them, but it's such a faff to get off and regrowth means you have to do it. I'm also not sure I'm totally happy with the UV exposure (suncream is a good idea) or the advisability of soaking in acetone for prolonged periods once a fortnight, it's a pretty strong solvent.

knowler Tue 22-Sep-15 13:18:14

Thanks all. i'm a total newbie to it so hadn't even considered regrowth etc. Think I'm going to give it a whirl. thanks for advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now