Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Louis Vuitton

(23 Posts)
JeremyCorbynsVest Thu 17-Sep-15 13:52:09

Am I alone in not 'getting' Louis Vuitton bags / products?

I don't mean to offend anyone who likes them, I appreciate they are in all probability very well made etc... but can't understand the appeal.

I like a good bag as well as the next handbag lover, and don't knock having a designer bag per se. But to me these LV bags always carry a whiff of looking a bit 'fake' even when they are genuine. Am I missing something? confused

worldgonecrazy Thu 17-Sep-15 14:05:28

You're not alone. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing?

I like a lot of the more expensive bags in their collection but these days I can't justify spending £6K on a handbag. I don't like any of the designs currently available in the usual Monogram pattern.

JeremyCorbynsVest Thu 17-Sep-15 14:09:50

T'would indeed be boring worldgonecrazy.

But because so many other people seem so devoted, and I am 'meh', I need to ask if there is something I should know!

RachelZoe Thu 17-Sep-15 14:20:14

They're a little obvious for me, the print is too much. Other obviously designer bags don't stand out like LV do, and you're right about the faking, there are so many fakes it's done the brand damage. I like their stuff that doesn't have the print, I have a lovely snuggly plain black scarf with just "louis vuitton" on it and I adore it.

frikadela01 Thu 17-Sep-15 14:22:26

I think anything that has been heavily copied can tend to take on an air of cheapness. My mum has an absolutely beautiful Michael kors bag that she doesn't like to use anymore because she's seen so many knockoffs. I have only recently starting wearing my gorgeous burberry scarf after having it many many many years because of the chavvy connotations it tends to have.

As for louis vuitton... I like some of the bags that done have the monogram pattern but agree the copying of that pattern makes it seem cheap to me.

ridinghighinapril Thu 17-Sep-15 15:03:06

I don't get it either - no doubt well made but really uninspiring and boring esp the ubiquitous monogram bags

Olddear Sun 20-Sep-15 19:33:06

I don't like the brown/cream ones with the LV written all over them, and I particularly dislike the luggage, but I do like the bright coloured ones, eg the red patent.

nooddsocksforme Sun 20-Sep-15 21:16:48

I always think that they look as if they made out of plastic

mayum1 Sun 20-Sep-15 22:33:10

I don't like them.

Patapouf Sun 20-Sep-15 22:41:04

I'm guessing you mean the monogram canvas products? I don't like them either and a neverfull GM will set you back £700. The fakes are very very easy to spot though.

I prefer the epi leather bags, but they cost ££££. They look and feel gorgeous and are much less likely to be faked because some of the styles are less recognisable and the type of person who goes for a fake, does so because they want people to acknowledge the "brand" of bag usually.

FYI pp, Michael Kors has a reputation for knocking off more luxe fashion houses designs.

amarmai Sun 20-Sep-15 23:49:14

the brown non leather ones with lv all over them are horrible and are not even leather!

SteveBrucesNose Mon 21-Sep-15 13:17:04

My laptop bag is LV and the woman in the shop glared at me when I said to DH 'I like this one - its not got the horrible garish pattern all over it and is very discreet'.

Its plain black with a small kind of stamped LV logo in one corner only.

Totally agree with the majority of the bags though.

cressetmama Mon 21-Sep-15 14:03:24

The scarves are gorgeous however!

Silverstreaks Tue 22-Sep-15 08:17:53

Jeremy I understand what you mean about the brown LVLVLV I was just the same until I came across this hideously fantastic creation.
I know it's a knock off. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but oh I do love it.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Tue 31-Oct-17 07:00:54

I didn't like LV - and maybe still don't - but came across this crossbody which is a vintage piece and I gave in.

Wish me luck!

That's not me in the pic, btw.

FrancisCrawford Tue 31-Oct-17 07:03:43

I agree they look like plastic

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 31-Oct-17 11:22:30

I have a monogram Neverfull in damier (the cream and blue) which is genuinely invisible for long-haul flights with the DC and beach holidays. That's the only time of year I use it.

I love the patent red Alma but I'd never use it, so tend to stick to Mulberry bags.

RubbishMantra Tue 31-Oct-17 11:37:50

The monogrammed LV ones look like plastic because they are plastic. Not keen myself - reminds me of my schooldays, I proudly carried a fake one as my school bag. Thought I was the mutts nuts!

carb0nated Tue 31-Oct-17 11:45:14

I think they look plastic and horrible. I think they are in the "trying too hard" category along with Mulberry.

olderthanyouthink Tue 31-Oct-17 11:50:21

Zombie

RoseWhiteTips Tue 31-Oct-17 12:11:03

Don’t get it. I think the bags etc are flashy and unattractive.

RoseWhiteTips Tue 31-Oct-17 12:11:18

Zombie?
Argh

LoyaltyAndLobster Wed 01-Nov-17 05:26:19

I’ve never been a fan of the monogram print, it just looks tacky! I always go for Damier Graphite, much more elegant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now