Wrap....... Poetry....... Hush....... Toast......

(53 Posts)
CointreauVersial Sat 05-Sep-15 15:08:56

Not a day goes by without a catalogue from one of the above dropping through my door. I must have got myself on a mailing list.

Everything is limp, shapeless and putty-coloured. And so expensive!

Am I missing something? Is there a distinctive USP of one of these brands that I need to know about?

SuckingEggs Sat 05-Sep-15 15:56:07

Completely agree! Such a waste of paper.

WipsGlitter Sat 05-Sep-15 16:55:40

Hush is confused. They se to have about 12 items. I don't get the fuss about them.

Gusthetheatrecat Sat 05-Sep-15 17:02:53

Someone posted on MN that they'd obviously got themselves on a 'middle class 30s woman' mailing list. As soon as I read it, I thought, 'YES! That's what's happened to me!'
Saltwater, Sweaty Betty, Hush... I send most of them back but it still never stops.

CointreauVersial Sat 05-Sep-15 17:03:50

And they're all the bloody same! I keep thinking "oh, didn't I get that catalogue yesterday?" but no, it's a different one.

You have to be pencil thin to look good in those sack-shaped dresses, that's for sure.

Fairylea Sat 05-Sep-15 17:05:18

They're absolutely awful. I've never understood the fascination with them on here.

MagicalRealist Sat 05-Sep-15 17:34:45

I love Hush, can take or leave the rest though. What I like about Hush is that their stuff is timelessly stylish (in my eyes) and mostly very wearable.

BrendaandEddie Sat 05-Sep-15 17:40:12

the baukjen one this seaons is terrible
the clothes look so badly styled

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 05-Sep-15 17:42:31

Edwardian lesbian chic

chickentothefox Sat 05-Sep-15 17:46:11

Me too! Wrap came today - a load of drab rags.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sat 05-Sep-15 17:55:50

i quite like that kind of slightly Scandi stuff in theory
but it only works on size 6 18year olds

and if I were a size 6 18yo I wouldn't wear a drapey putty coloured dress, I'd wear neon bodycon.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 05-Sep-15 18:09:04

whats with the oversized baggy Bretons stripped sack dresses. They are all at it

SuckingEggs Sat 05-Sep-15 20:07:50

That slouchy stuff looks dreadful if you've got big boobs, too. Sackarama.

HoneyDragon Sat 05-Sep-15 20:11:56

Your op title reads like the beginning of a modernist Haiku.

They are all beige, beige beeeeeeige.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Sat 05-Sep-15 20:30:49

Omg me too. I have never signed up for any of the following, but receive all their catalogues, so can only assume there is some list that they all have.
Hush
White Company
Toast
Loaf (furniture company)
Wrap
Sweaty Betty
confused

JuneFromBethesda Sat 05-Sep-15 20:33:47

I want to love Hush, I am totally seduced by their marketing, but I struggle to find stuff that will actually suit me.

That said, I ordered this jumper last week and I love it. I sent it back as I need a different size and I'm waiting impatiently for the new one to arrive - it's lovely.

squiz81 Sat 05-Sep-15 20:40:01

Do you shop at Ocado? I'm sure these catalogues started for me when I started shopping with them.

I don't really get it either, always looks so meh

Yourethe1formefatty Sat 05-Sep-15 20:47:16

I was so outraged when a Wrap catalogue dropped through my door at age 28 (8 years ago) that I emailed them to ask them wtf they had got my contact details.

They replied and told me it was because I had ordered furniture from the Cotswold Company.

I clearly have 30 something middle class furniture sad

Blueberry234 Sat 05-Sep-15 20:52:20

I reckon it is ocado related

chickentothefox Sat 05-Sep-15 21:02:01

Ocado or Boden, I reckon

Greengardenpixie Sat 05-Sep-15 21:23:58

I quite like some Toast things but not everything. I suppose they are selling a lifestyle really. I quite like the kind of arty catalogues. I have bought stuff on and off from them for years but you need to buy selectively. Poetry - i quite like some stuff. Think its way over priced. Some Toast stuff is actually beautiful quality and not 'fashionable' just kind of classic. I dont get hush either. I do quite like some of their winter things but from experience, dont think that there stuff is quality. Wrap is Poetry. Some of their stuff is nice but most of it is a bit dull. Now i really dont get mint velvet.....

Greengardenpixie Sat 05-Sep-15 21:24:55

I mean wrap is the same company as poetry!!

CointreauVersial Sat 05-Sep-15 23:17:38

Not an Ocado shopper, but I'm certainly in Johnnie Boden's address book.

I did make the mistake, a couple of years ago, of buying a cardigan for FIL from a delightful publication called Chums. So now, amongst the pile of Toast/Wrap/White Co catalogues you will also find Hotter, Damart and other senior delights. I keep the paper recycling companies in business.

Greengardenpixie Sat 05-Sep-15 23:36:46

I got a catalogue from sweaty betty! Ive never ordered anything from them every!!!
The worrying thing will be cointreau, when you actually like something from those catalogues!!!!!

noiwontstoptalking Sat 05-Sep-15 23:53:42

Brenda (living the username btw) you are so right. I have some great Baukjen pieces from 3 years ago but it's got to the point that I don't even look at the sale emails now.

Their last work wear collection made me howl with laughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now