Talk

Advanced search

School run coat / cardigan / jumper / cover up thing

(10 Posts)
SmileAndNod Fri 04-Sep-15 14:17:26

Sorry the title is a bit vague. Last couple of mornings I've been been freezing on the school run. What do you wear on mornings like these?

I've a big (non waterproof) down coat for winter, a smart coat for dressed up days in winter, Wakefield properly waterproof coat for tipping down days, a blazer which doesn't look right on me, ditto a denim jacket and a gilet. What should I be wearing at this time of year then? I tend to wear jeans a lotsad so in theory most things should go, but I never quite look right. I am feeling quite large at the minute and just look, well, a bit pudgy.

Also where can I buy lovely warm jumpers that are not cashmere, or itchy? I don't do the cold so am not looking forward to winter!

amarmai Fri 04-Sep-15 20:07:11

what do you think about a sleeveless knee length vest on top of said warm jumper? There are all sorts of variety from smart to casual . They can also layer on top of winter coats or jackets when it gets colder. I am only now working them into my outfits and having fun.

SmileAndNod Sat 05-Sep-15 11:09:43

Thank you, I think I would need a picture as I'm not too sure what you mean. I'm quite old so can't do overly 'young' stylessmile

amarmai Sat 05-Sep-15 17:43:55

hey not as old as me- mid 70s- and have not got the know how to do pictures. Think burberry raincoat without sleeves and a wider armhole in any color. I got an acid yellow one on sale wondering if i had thrown away $150 - but have worn it in several different combos already and can foresee putting it on top of my dull winter coats .

CoconutAmericano Sat 05-Sep-15 18:12:55

Someone here recommended uniqlo jumpers the other day. Might be worth checking out.
As far as school run coats go, Im wearing an old Boden mac. It's fleece lined so good for chilly mornings, although i am a cold creature so this might be too warm for you. I have a plain beige one that is getting very frayed after 3 years of continual wear so ive just bought the plain black one and am excitedly awaiting it's arrival! It is my go to coat for spring and autumn days.

BaxterDawes Sat 05-Sep-15 18:22:12

In the last week, I have bought two of these ponchos from Jigsaw.

They are perfect for not-quite-coat weather and look fabulous with jeans.

Mamakata Sat 05-Sep-15 20:31:50

I second amarmai's suggestion. I have bought two sleeveless jackets/waistcoats. Planning to wear them over leather jackets, denim shirts, jumpers. I bought camel and grey. Flattering and versatile. From Zara and topshop.

amarmai Sun 06-Sep-15 15:18:07

yeah love mine too,mama. But nothing is easier to throw over anything than a poncho. Wish i hadn't given mine away to my barefoot son in his return of the hippies phase -with dreadlocks to go with the dirty feet!

SmileAndNod Mon 07-Sep-15 19:56:26

Thanks and sorry I've only just got back to this. I now understand what you mean by a long vest. I'm off to town tomorrow so I might wander through top shop.

I have been looking at that jigsaw poncho, and I'm going to order it to try thanks to your recommendation. Hope it fits!

burnishedsilver Mon 07-Sep-15 22:24:09

Love the poncho. Tk maxx have something similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now