Talk

Advanced search

Can I make my natural grey hair lilac

(44 Posts)
NotTodaySatan Sat 29-Aug-15 09:39:13

without bleach it anything else that will damage it?

I've just used a violet toner (Wella Color Fresh) and am really disappointed with the minimal difference it's made.

I'd love that purple rinse effect. Is it impossible for grey/silver hair to take colour?

Any tips? Ta smile

Noeuf Sat 29-Aug-15 09:41:01

Bleach London do colours you could try? Boots do it.

Fabellini Sat 29-Aug-15 09:45:54

I use the bright red of this and it gives amazing colour. I think it'd work brilliantly for what you're after.

pinkfrocks Sat 29-Aug-15 14:27:25

Only if you are truly bonkers.

StickyProblem Sat 29-Aug-15 14:29:59

Watching with interest, I would love to do this!

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Sat 29-Aug-15 14:33:48

The thing is, your hair isn't grey. It's a mix of white hairs, and whatever your natural colour is.

So you can colour the white hairs purple, which will give your hair a lilac hue, depending on how much white you have. White hairs are fairly resistant to dye though.

Try using directions colors. They're a semi. If the colour is too strong, you can mix a small amount with some white conditioner, then leave for 20 minutes or so.

It really depends on what colour your hair is naturally though.

BuyingUniformArgh Sat 29-Aug-15 14:33:58

i wish i had grey hair so i could make it lilac

i dont have any yet (well none that i have seen! )

MamaLazarou Sat 29-Aug-15 15:38:28

Use Crazy Colour diluted with a bit of conditioner:

www.crazycolor.co.uk/shop/products/

I'm thinking of doing the same with mine. I love purple hair!

NotTodaySatan Sat 29-Aug-15 15:48:54

You think pinkfrocks? sad

........oh hang on, I don't care!!!!

The Bleach London dyes have awful reviews online so I've ordered some Directions and some Manic Panic. Will report back smile

Am also toying with a greeny turquoise mermaid-y colour. Hmm.

CMOTDibbler Sat 29-Aug-15 17:34:59

I'd go with Manic Panic. I use their virgin snow toner on my hair, and its brilliant

MirandaGoshawk Sat 29-Aug-15 17:41:56

I use Directions often. It doesn't last long - fades even if you don't wash it - but it's fun. I've done it the full-strength Violet/Purple which was beautiful but attracted a LOT of attention (I'm not the usual youngster you see with pink/blue/green/lilac hair!). Now I put a dollop in a glass and add a little conditioner, but not too much or you lose the lilac effect and end up with just a darker grey. If you google 'Directions hair colour' on Youtube you'll see lots of tutorials.

NotTodaySatan Sat 29-Aug-15 18:49:45

Cheers CMOT and Miranda smile.

I'm not a young'un either (35) but I'm about to start a creative course and have a kinda 'out there' look anyway so think I'll pull it off grin.

Will update!

amarmai Sat 29-Aug-15 19:10:04

just been motivated by PF into using the purple Garnier Color Styler on my silvery hair! It looks good - so did the pink i used last time. Go for it, op! BTW i'm in my mid 70s.

NotTodaySatan Sun 06-Sep-15 14:35:48

Back to say that I did it!

And I bloody love it grin

scatterthenuns Sun 06-Sep-15 14:38:05

Looks fantastic! And if I may say so, you are gorgeous and I'd kill for features as striking as yours!

Cocolepew Sun 06-Sep-15 14:40:59

Thats great, what did you use?

Zort Sun 06-Sep-15 14:42:03

It looks so good!

NotTodaySatan Sun 06-Sep-15 14:44:37

Aw thanks scatter smile

Coco I used equal parts Manic Panic Mystic Heather and Lie Locks with a wee dollop of Carnation Pink by Directions. Mixed all three with the same amount of white conditioner to pastelise it a wee bit. Left it on for 2.5 hours.

Really happy grin

Cocolepew Sun 06-Sep-15 14:46:17

Thanks smile

shutupanddance Sun 06-Sep-15 14:48:24

You look fantastic. You fox.grin

NotTodaySatan Sun 06-Sep-15 15:10:44

Cheers * shutup* grin

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Sun 06-Sep-15 15:21:00

Looks great! grin Any idea how long it'll last?

NotTodaySatan Sun 06-Sep-15 15:25:12

Probably not very long Bollocks. Anything from a week to a month but that's ok with me. I don't mind spending a few hours every other week on dyeing it. It's great to be able to have fun with my natural hair. I thought I was going to be grey for the rest of my life! Woo!

daftyburd Sun 06-Sep-15 16:36:59

Your hair is lovely. I've recently started using directions as I find it less messy than manic panic. I've used it 3 times in total and it hasn't made any difference to my hair condition. It's really not harsh at all.

NotTodaySatan Sun 06-Sep-15 16:55:34

Thanks dafty smile

Yeah that's the main reason I went for it. These dyes are actually good for your hair as opposed to bleach etc. The reason I embraced my silver in the first place was because I'd had a bleach disaster and my hair was wrecked. So I shaved it all off. Eek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now