Talk

Advanced search

Hyalauronic acid supplements

(19 Posts)
Cat2014 Fri 28-Aug-15 08:41:24

Does anyone take these? The ones with added multivitamins get absolutely amazing reviews online. Are they worth it and are there any negative side effects?

CremeDeSudo Fri 28-Aug-15 09:00:19

I've been wondering about all the skin tablets I'm seeing lately too so shamelessly place marking grin

Coastingit Fri 28-Aug-15 10:17:12

Also place marking.

MrsSadness Fri 28-Aug-15 12:25:24

I've seen the hyluranonic (sp) drink type supplements. Is it these you mean?
I'm dying to see if they work because they look good but they are pretty pricey.
Have you seen Skinade? The before and after pics on that look incredible but it's expensive.

Cat2014 Fri 28-Aug-15 13:09:51

The ones I've been looking into are the 'hyabeautiful' supplements

CremeDeSudo Fri 28-Aug-15 13:32:41

Skinade is intriguing though..

Wolpertinger Fri 28-Aug-15 13:40:42

Am struggling to see how the science would actually work. You swallow them and digest them so how does the hyaluronic actually get to your skin?

Is there any evidence that oral intake of extra hyaluronic makes the least difference to your skin? A brief google suggests it's all broken down by stomach acid and doesn't get any where near your skin.

lurkingaround Fri 28-Aug-15 14:44:50

I'm with Wolpertinger. Can't for the life of me see how they could work.

Cat2014 Fri 28-Aug-15 17:09:10

Well I've just ordered a months supply as I got them half price - I'll report back!

Cat2014 Fri 28-Aug-15 17:09:56

They also contain other things - maybe it's this that's working for people?

Wolpertinger Fri 28-Aug-15 17:28:45

What exactly are the other things? Looking at the Hyabeautiful it just looks like an average multi-vitamin with unproven bells on.

There are some claims about oxidative stress but no supplement has ever been proven to work on this (and sometimes our bodies need to oxidize chemicals and it would be dangerous to interfere with this) and some studies have actually shown vitamins making it worse.

Cat2014 Fri 28-Aug-15 18:15:29

Flaxseed and vitamins like perfectil

Wolpertinger Fri 28-Aug-15 18:42:28

Which are proven to do what exactly to your skin when eaten?

Cat2014 Sat 29-Aug-15 17:08:08

Well, I don't know much about flaxseed, but doesn't it contain omega 3 or 6 so should help make skin less dry?
Also vitamins can really make a difference if someone has any kind of deficiency, lots of people are D deficient for example

Wolpertinger Sat 29-Aug-15 17:57:33

Vitamin D deficiency isn't a skin problem though. And it is the only common vitamin deficiency in the West - and if you had it you would need far bigger doses than in this supplement anyway.

OK so oral intake of omega oils can help dry skin but that isn't really the big selling point of this product is it? If that was all you wanted you could just buy some ordinary fish oil confused

There still isn't any evidence that swallowed hyaluronic will get out of your stomach and anywhere near your skin.

Cat2014 Sun 30-Aug-15 18:16:50

I know that isn't the selling point, that was kind of what I meant - maybe it's the other things like that that's improving these people's skin, not the hyalauronic acid.. Just a musing!
Anyway I've started taking them, just a trial for month. I'll update for anyone who is interested.

LeonC Sun 30-Aug-15 20:23:50

My DB has 'dry eye' and was advised by his consultant to take HA suplement daily. HA helps connective tissue which diminishes with age and hence wrinkles ( not sure about my DB's eye)
He has been on this for a few years and his skin looks amazing, he's 62. So I thought I'll have a bit of that! I have been on it for about 18 months. I am often complimented on my skin but I am not sure if it's the HA or if my DB and I have the good skin genes.

HoneywithLemon Tue 01-Sep-15 13:09:20

I took the imedeen time renewal (over 40's) skin supplement for a while and it was really good. Just £££. Which is why I stopped sad.

Cat2014 Tue 01-Sep-15 19:57:19

Thanks for the further posts. I will be interested to see any results. I'm 34 and started seeing some fine lines so will keep an eye on them!
If there's no obvious improvement I will go back to my trusty but waaay cheaper tesco skin hair and nails vits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now