Talk

Advanced search

Warm dressing gown?

(30 Posts)
LordPeterWimsey Wed 26-Aug-15 18:46:14

I'm looking for a warm dressing gown. I don't want it to be white or any shade of beige or brown (a white one would never stay white, and I hate beige and it hates me right back: I look terrible in it). In an ideal world I'd like it to be a deep colour (teal or crimson, maybe), but I'd settle happily for black or navy.

It mustn't be polyester, and it mustn't be too long as I'm a shortarse. Ideally would have a belt so I don't look too much like a sack. I'm currently using a battered M&S towelling one that I bought as a student, which at least has the merit of being a nice shade of red. Given that this is my first new dressing gown for 15 years I'd be happy to spend up to a hundred quid.

Stylish women of MN, can you help? I've looked at Toast, White Company and M&S and can't see anything at all suitable. I'm a woman in spite of the username - this was the first thing that sprang to mind after Hackergate!

Euphemia Wed 26-Aug-15 19:59:32

I had a fleece one from David Nieper that was fabulously cosy - it's a bit early in the season for them but keep an eye on their website.

I recently replaced it with one from LL Bean which is the best dressing gown ever! I ordered it online from the USA. I'll link to it in a mo ...

Euphemia Wed 26-Aug-15 20:01:48

It was this one in Emerald Teal.

LordPeterWimsey Wed 26-Aug-15 20:51:06

That looks great, but how much hassle is the zip? I love my belted towelling one because I can tumble out of bed half-asleep when DD has a nightmare, grab it and tie it as I'm heading to her room. I'm not sure that I'm co-ordinated enough to deal with a zip in that scenario. Like the look of the David Nieper site so I'll keep an eye on that as autumn comes.

Nevercan Wed 26-Aug-15 21:17:06

Dunelm mill do a nice Egyptian cotton one in a choice of 32 colours grin

LordPeterWimsey Wed 26-Aug-15 21:21:32

Is that by any chance a way of telling me it isn't very S&B to want a warm dressing gown, Nevercan? grin

But I do, dammit: we can't leave the central heating on all night, and DD is night terror prone so I can't rely on staying in bed till it comes on!

ButtonLoon Wed 26-Aug-15 21:22:17

They also do a belted one :http://global.llbean.com/shop/Winter-Fleece-Robe%2C-Wrap-Front/81128.html

I've been meaning to get one of these fleece robes for years, I just wear my fleece Bench coat all winter long. hmm

Truckingalong Wed 26-Aug-15 21:24:27

The Rosie ones from M & S are gorgeous. m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/hooded-luxury-dressing-gown/p/p22333908?jsrl=stop&un_jtt_redirect

PurpleSkyatthewateringhole Wed 26-Aug-15 21:48:26

Have you looked at Charlotte & co cashmere dressing gowns? They also do matching socks. They are a bit more £££ than other suggestions but if you've not bought one since your student days I think you're entitled to a nice adult one. Or Denner Cashmere,

Euphemia Wed 26-Aug-15 22:03:56

The zip is no bother. And I'm a total grump in the morning, so if it was a bother i'd have slung the damn thing by now! grin

LordPeterWimsey Wed 26-Aug-15 22:04:48

Trucking, it's lovely but it's polyester sad. I really want a natural fibre (which would, on closer inspection, also be a problem with the LL Bean one).

Purple, they look beautiful, and warm, but none of the colours would suit me and they wouldn't go in the washing machine (before you even get to them being three times my budget).

Sorry, I'm being really awkward here!

MountainDweller Thu 27-Aug-15 00:22:41

Land's end do a 'luxury terry robe' - all cotton so fits the bill there but no dark colours at the moment. They often bring in more colours later in the season though.

LadyB49 Thu 27-Aug-15 00:26:52

Keep an eye on TK Maxx. On line.

whitershadeofpale Thu 27-Aug-15 00:53:52

Has anyone tried the Rosie M&S cashmere one? I'm in the same boat as you Lord except I don't like fleece or toweling.

I had a lovely thick brushed cotton one from M&S years ago that is cream with scarlet piping. I've lost a fair amount of weight since then though and although it's comfy, it feels a bit shapeless and slovenly.

MoltenBrownChocolate Thu 27-Aug-15 08:07:06

This one is above your budget but looks gorgeous! You can't beat a ((cashmere dressing gown
m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/rosie-for-autograph-luxurious-pure-cashmere-long-wrap/p/p22260661?jsrl=stop&un_jtt_redirect

CherylTunt Thu 27-Aug-15 15:01:34

Woolovers have this belted cardigan that I thought was quite dressing-gowny when I saw it.

I have a double-faced flannelette robe from Toast that is very cosy, and one from Charlotte & Co that is flannel on the outside and fleece on the inside, but that wouldn't be any good for you.

La Redoute usually have cotton towelling robes in lots of colours.

LordPeterWimsey Thu 27-Aug-15 21:50:53

MoltonBrown, that's beautiful, but it would be trailing on the floor on me! I need something that's marketed as knee length - then it'll be mid-calf length on my pathetically short limbs and all will be well.

I'll have a look at La Redoute, thanks. I'm not wedded to towelling - in fact was hoping to move away from it - but it looks as though it's that, cashmere for more money than I want to pay or synthetic fibres.

LordPeterWimsey Thu 27-Aug-15 21:52:00

I like the Woolovers one but it's the other end of the spectrum - I want something that's knee length on me or my legs get cold sitting in DD's room at night.

Oly5 Thu 27-Aug-15 22:09:16

I know you've looked at white company but their hooded velour robe is the cosiest, loveliest thing and fits all your requests! I have it in deep burgundy and love it. In fact, I have two

LordPeterWimsey Thu 27-Aug-15 22:13:32

Oly5, the fabric looks lovely but it only seems to be available in a taupe-y, beige-y sort of colour (mis-described as Blossom - if there are flowers that colour they're not coming into my garden). If they're still doing it in burgundy and I've missed the link, please could you post one?

MoltenBrownChocolate Thu 27-Aug-15 22:39:29

What about this terry towelling one then? www.landsend.co.uk/mProduct?cgid=5735&pid=P_10078

whitershadeofpale Fri 28-Aug-15 00:32:38

Just letting you all know M&S seem to have 20% off on the website at the moment, which means I've but the bullet and ordered the Rosie.

mrssmiling Fri 28-Aug-15 11:59:26

I saw this robe in Habitat the other day - 100% cotton, with a belt and it felt soft and warm. Very colourful and cheering - no beige here! smile
link

mrssmiling Fri 28-Aug-15 12:16:19

Woods of Shropshire have some lovely robes too...quite a few deep red/pink ones (although polyester), and a lovely red checked one.... link and red check flannel

LordPeterWimsey Fri 28-Aug-15 20:21:12

I like the Habitat one - I really can't be doing with beige or pastels as they make me look even deader than I already do. And it's in budget! Thanks, mrssmiling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now