nioxin... help!

(10 Posts)
Getuhda348 Mon 24-Aug-15 00:22:52

So my hair is falling out... drastically! Doc said from stress and it will grow back. It has started to already but I hate how thin my hair is! It's very noticeable and I've heard nioxin is good for volume. Is it worth it and Where do I get it?

Getuhda348 Tue 25-Aug-15 15:43:33

Shameless bumping!

jasmine1979 Tue 25-Aug-15 19:54:58

Have you had your iron levels and importantly ferritin levels checked? I experienced the same problem that I had put down to stress and it turned out my ferritin levels were far too low (8) to support hair growth and I was very anemic. That was 6 months or so ago and my hair is now gradually improving as I start to get my iron up, but it can take a long time to recover.
It's worth exploring these issues from the inside instead of using topical treatments such as nioxin I think, although I understand the feeling of wanting to make your hair look better in the meantime. smile

jasmine1979 Tue 25-Aug-15 20:00:20

Forgot to add my tricks for making hair look better whilst it's growing back!
Dry shampoo can help bulk up the existing hair a lot. I tried products like nioxin, but generally found them quite drying. I found that it was more important for me to really baby the hair that was growing back and treat it as well as I could. Lots of intensive conditioning etc. If possible don't use hair dye on it either.
My partner has a thinnning patch and he likes to use a product called "toppik" over it. It's a very fine hair powder with fibres that you shake into the hair and it masks the thinning areas. You can buy small jars on amazon for around £5 I think?

Getuhda348 Tue 25-Aug-15 21:56:02

Thank you I will check the product out. I had iron and b12 checked but it came back fine. Would ferritin have been checked with the same blood test? I could actually cry looking in the mirror at it I use to have uncontrollable thick hair... wish I had that problem now! The ends are already really dry which started at the same time as the hair loss so think I will keep away from nioxin. And start deep conditioning! Good thinking with the dry shampoo

Oldisthenewblack Tue 25-Aug-15 22:01:13

I second the Toppik option. It's been a godsend for me - it really is imperceptible. I have thinning hair and this covers the areas of scalp that show through and bulk up the hair like magic! I'm trying to address the underlying problem, of course, but in the meantime, I'm never without this stuff smile.

Oldisthenewblack Tue 25-Aug-15 22:02:37

Good luck, by the way, I know how stressful it can be to see your hair shedding like crazy!

prettywhiteguitar Tue 25-Aug-15 22:03:23

I've lost a lot of hair after pregnancy, my hair is really really dry as well , which moisturising treatments do you recommend jasmin1979 ?

Getuhda348 Tue 25-Aug-15 22:43:42

Thank you just ordered some toppik... fingers crossed!

sonata1 Tue 25-Aug-15 23:41:10

I use Nanogen fibres similar to Toppix.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now