Talk

Advanced search

Blazers at Work: What to wear underneath?

(22 Posts)
RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 16:17:39

My normal work outfit is a blazer
www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Sale/AllProducts/PRD~05159/05159.jsp?Nbrd=J&Nloc=en_US&Nrpp=48&Npge=1&Ntrm=schoolboy+blazer&isSaleItem=false&color_name=BLACK&isFromSearch=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row0

and skinny trousers and flats or heels (the latter for more dressy occasions).

I am always confused about what to wear under my blazer, more so in the summer. Is it OK for me to wear a cami
www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/petite/shirtsandtops/PRD~C3480/C3480.jsp?Nbrd=J&Nloc=en_US&Nrpp=48&Npge=1&Ntrm=carrie+cami&isSaleItem=false&color_name=IVORY&isFromSearch=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row0(see second picture)
to work? Is this too revealing? I'm 34B.

Your thoughts please!

I work in IT and normally meet with upper-middle management, most of our customers tend to be business casual-ish e.g. men in dress shirt & trousers with no tie (women too varied to generalise).

I sometimes wear crewneck shells but this feels way to frumpy, and often wear a pristine white t-shirt on Fridays with jeans/nice flats but that can't work mid-week.

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 19-Aug-15 19:21:14

I don't like wearing sleeveless tops to work, so would always go for a capped sleeve top of some kind.

leadrightfoot Wed 19-Aug-15 19:28:34

If you are keeping the blazer on all the time and the v isn't too low then fine
Otherwise a higher neck line and cap sleeves it better

RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 20:06:34

Ah, yes. Should have mentioned I'm perennially cold so the blazer certainly stays on.

I'm not certain I agree with no sleeveless tops at work.

SellFridges Wed 19-Aug-15 20:10:22

If the blazer stays on, I would wear a cami. I wear them with a cardigan instead of a blazer sometimes.

I'd also go down the cap sleeve t-shirt type top as well. Oasis have lots of pretty in that woven type material which I'm a fan of.

Depends on norks. The cami looks v low cut to me. I wouldn't do sleeveless, unless the blazer was going to stay on at all times.

Hobbes8 Wed 19-Aug-15 20:16:54

The Boden ravello top in plain colours is quite nice

clothing.boden.co.uk/search?ts=mobile&w=Ravello&searchSubmit=

RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 20:20:36

Yes, I have this sort of on-again/off-again fear that the cami is too low-cut, hence the thread. Norks not huge, 34B.

RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 20:25:27

My feeling is that the Boden top is just a hint too matronly in conjunction with a blazer (not to mention it doesn't come in ivory). I'd prefer to find a slightly scooped-neck or v-neck top. I do love the pin-tucking, I also have this top that I also wear under blazers, just by way of reference:
www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shirtsandtops/topsblouses/PRD~C4257/C4257.jsp?nav_type=OBIN

RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 20:26:54

I have found several cute work tops at River Island before, sadly they are not long for this world as we all know.

AngelaRipp0n Wed 19-Aug-15 20:41:36

What about this www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/astrid_top_blue_iris.htm

RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 20:55:43

LOVE that Angela, but I need it in ivory or white at a push. I am a creature of habit. I couldn't cope with wearing a non-ivory under layer.

Truckingalong Wed 19-Aug-15 21:04:45

Bet you're not a 34b

RabbitIsRich Wed 19-Aug-15 21:05:50

Bet you're not a 34b

I'm not sure what that means.

stripytees Wed 19-Aug-15 21:06:48

thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html

shedragon Wed 19-Aug-15 21:45:36

Ooh!! A newbie to the bra stuff!!!

Truckingalong Wed 19-Aug-15 22:07:52

It means that very very few women are a 34b and I bet you're more like a 30d. Sorry, I know you didn't come on here to discuss that, so I'll naff off, as I don't have much to contribute to your actual question!

LaCerbiatta Wed 19-Aug-15 22:11:38

I'm a 34b. Yes I've measured following the instructions. Yes I've tried a 32c. I'm still a 34b.

RabbitRedux Thu 20-Aug-15 07:32:16

OP here. I had to change my password and just got stuck so I started a new account.

Oh, I was rather concerned that you thought you might know me IRL and you had an idea that I wasn't 34B. shock I am certainly open to the possibility that I'm not wearing the right size, I absolutely hate bras.

Seems like people here think it's OK to wear the cami if the blazer stays on.

Trills Thu 20-Aug-15 08:19:02

I would happily wear a sleeveless top in the environment you describe, but not a low-cut top and not spaghetti straps.

But if the blazer is staying on all the time then the arm area of your top is irrelevant.

RabbitRedux Thu 20-Aug-15 08:27:30

Trills, do you think that the top is too low-cut? It sits roughly the same place on my chest as it does the model wearing it.

Spaghetti straps are irrelevant because they'd be hidden.

Trills Thu 20-Aug-15 21:28:30

It's probably not possible to tell without seeing it on you.

It'd be too low-cut on ME.

It could be fine on YOU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now