Talk

Advanced search

Asked for a sample of Clinique Cleansing Balm, assistants were really rude

(17 Posts)
Aquamarine70 Mon 17-Aug-15 09:53:17

After waiting for a few mins whilst ther were chatting one finally came up to me. I asked for a sample so she went to ask the other girl. She gave me a dirty look & said we don't give out samples. One of the assistants wasn't in a uniform either & was chewing gum. I said I had really sensitive skin & need to try products first but that didn't make any difference.

happy2bhomely Mon 17-Aug-15 10:18:18

My mum complains that no one ever gives her any samples that she'd like to try. So I took her around the counters last week to show her how to do it!

I approach a counter and straight away say hi and ask them about a specific product. Never say that you are just looking. Then I ask lots of questions about how it might suit my skin. So, is it good for combination skin? Will it affect my hormonal acne? Will it work well with my toner? Will it sit well under my make up? What fragrance is that? Oh it smells just like the Lancome version! Mention other products that you like. Never comment that anything is too expensive.

So, about 5 minutes of chit chat and you get sent away with lots of goodies to try! I always thank them so much for their time and ask for their name. If I like anything I try I always go back and say **recommended this for me.

I got my mum 3 foundation samples, face oil, serum, primer, moisturiser and a perfume sample all from Boots at Bluewater.

Of course the assistants you encountered were just bloody awful and I would complain to the store. Remember they are not doing you a favour! They are there to assist you and to try and sell their products. It's not unreasonable to expect a small sample.

By the way, I think Clinique is rubbish!

BeautifulBatman Mon 17-Aug-15 10:21:40

Cliniques Take The Day Off balm is one of the best available.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 17-Aug-15 11:28:22

Clinique are encouraged to push the three-step routine, so they tend not to be very keen to hand out samples of other stuff. If need be, I'd bring my own wee pot and ask them to decant some into it. The idea that they don't do samples at all is nonsense, but they will refund if something doesn't agree with you, no quibbles.

StephenKatz Mon 17-Aug-15 16:35:49

I found Clinique a bit weird like that. I wanted a new foundation and went to try a specific one. Went to all three counters in my local shopping mall and none of them would give me a sample! All various excuses 'we don't have any pots' 'We don't have your shade' (except you just colour matched me hmm )

Headed to Mac instead. Woman put it on me, gave me two generous samples so I could try them myself at home and decide which one I liked best, and gave me some great tips on my specific problems.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 17-Aug-15 17:13:56

Mac are usually the worst for customer service I find.

SilverBlur Mon 17-Aug-15 17:21:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MitzyLeFrouf Mon 17-Aug-15 17:28:18

Muji sell little sample pots that are handy to pop in your handbag.

Sparkletastic Mon 17-Aug-15 17:31:18

Clarins Pure Melt is the bomb and they are generous with samples. MAC assistants have always been great in my experience and also very generous with samples. Agree with PP though - helps if you know your beauty game.

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 17-Aug-15 17:47:44

silverblur I will never buy anything for my face without trying it - years of breakouts and expensive mistakes - and most counters either have their own wee pots or will happily decant into one you supply. In my big Boots I think every single counter has pots, but they also sell then in the travel bit.

pinkfrocks Mon 17-Aug-15 17:48:41

I've always found Bobbi Brown stingy with samples of foundation yet they have a drawer full.

When I've asked for a sample and the shade they often say they like to make you up in store so you can see it. That's hardly the point as I like to see it in daylight and see how it wears over the day.

They appear to be happy to give samples IF you let them try it on you first- and presumably give you the sales patter at the same time.

Happy36 Mon 17-Aug-15 17:49:23

Great post from happy2bhomely.

I have not tried to get samples from Clinique; Clarins are really nice, though.

TheImprobableGirl Mon 17-Aug-15 17:50:22

Tehe silverblur there might be a Scottish/ accent divide there. I think she means a little pot than a pot which one wees in grin

TheImprobableGirl Mon 17-Aug-15 17:51:04

*rather than

LongDayAlready Mon 17-Aug-15 17:56:17

OP, I've had the same problem with Clinique - explained that I often react to things after 2-3 days (I have eczema) so don't want to buy without trying a couple of times and got told they didn't give samples. Only place that wouldn't.

It was a great relief to me when I found Liz Earle skincare which I've been happily using for 5 years. Haven't used Clinique since - their loss!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 17-Aug-15 18:10:10

Argh, yes, I am Scootish and of course I meant a small pot as opposed a receptacle for urine!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 17-Aug-15 18:10:33

*opposed to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now