Talk

Advanced search

Dressing 8 year old for a wedding. Please help

(17 Posts)
oohnewshoes Sun 16-Aug-15 19:50:58

So what do you dress an 8 year old boy in for quite a posh wedding if he won't wear a suit?

Oh and where do you by formal clothes for a boy who lives in jeans track suits and tshirts if you don't want to break the bank because he will definitely only wear it oncesad

Links or pics would help.

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 19:52:25

linen shorts and a shirt with sleeves rolled up.

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 19:59:53

like but tucked in

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 20:01:26

add braces if he will wear them

Esmum07 Sun 16-Aug-15 20:01:34

When DS went to a posh wedding when he was 6 years old I put him in his school trousers (dark grey), school shoes with a short sleeved white shirt (unbuttoned at the collar, no tie) and bought him a waistcoat in burgundy from Ebay. I think it cost me somewhere around £10 - £12. He felt comfortable because he was used to the trousers and had a similar shirt for school. The only 'unusual' thing for him was the waistcoat. Everyone commented how smart he looked - the waistcoat took the outfit up to 'posh' level.

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 20:02:49

pic 1

pic 2

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 20:04:20

ARGH FFS pic 2

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 20:05:30

pic 1

squiz81 Sun 16-Aug-15 20:14:51

Have you tried h&m?

These chinos

tablet.hm.com/gb/product/15070?article=15070-N&variant=134

And white shirt would work. Add a bow tie.

m&s outlets are are good for smart clothes on the cheap as is eBay....lots of things that will have only been worn once for a wedding.

BL00CowWonders Sun 16-Aug-15 20:18:32

Dark trousers/ chinos and collared shirt. Polo if need be.
Charity shops are full of boys shirts that have clearly been worn just the once...

oohnewshoes Sun 16-Aug-15 20:22:53

Oh thanks everyone. Backonthewagon I love that look. Thank you.

Squiz that link is great.

I wouldn't mind spending for it but d's idea of "dresses" is jeans his good runners and a shirtgrin

backonthewagon Sun 16-Aug-15 20:35:25

ok so he will wear a shirt. chino shorts are similar to denim short except they are a different colour. and baseball boots/pumps are basically trainers. leather/canvas deck shoes or toms style shoes could work too.

SpockSmashesScissors Sun 16-Aug-15 20:48:54

Mine wore this blue shirt to a wedding not long ago.

With black school type trousers, and black school shoes polished up. They are 8 and 11 and looked very smart.

M&S do lots of wedding outfit type clothes, waistcoat sets etc. here M&S

Lucked Sun 16-Aug-15 21:38:04

Well the seven year old who came to mine came as ironmansmile

I would do a shirt, maybe with a quirky print and chinos. I quite like the preppy look of chinos and chambray shirt. I wouldn't stress about shoes as long as they aren't his football boots!. No matter how formal the wedding an 8 year old has a lot of lee way with the dress code.

Capewrath Sun 16-Aug-15 21:43:56

We had a year of weddings and funerals at that age.

School trousers/ shorts. School shoes. White shirt. Cheap jacket. Tie. Looked fab. Competed with all the adults on bouncy obstacle course.

If no cheap jacket easily available, then Guernsey style sweater.

Capewrath Sun 16-Aug-15 21:48:35

Sorry, by jacket, I meant blazer. Try H&M.

If nice blazer, no need for tie.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 17-Aug-15 06:31:33

Chinos and a shirt (Gap, H&M), sleeveless pullover or v necked jumper. I'd leave off the bow tie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now