Advanced search

How to accessorize??

(6 Posts)
desperatelyseekingamovingdate Sun 16-Aug-15 10:10:02

Honestly I am so useless at this I even had to google the correct spelling of the word so you wouldn't think i was a total numpty!

However I have realised that a nice outfit can look AMAZING when accessorized correctly but I am clueless. My DS has only just got past the stage of breaking my necklaces by swinging off of them and I hadn't dared to wear earrings for the same reason.

I have a few bits of nice jewellery, a stainless steel skagen set and a purple stoned set but they are quite discrete. I do have a couple of statement pieces that I bought for a wedding from Next but I always feel a bit overdone in them as I am only going to soft play etc with the kids, although I see other people wearing them and I think they look great. My biggest problem is I still dont feel grown up enough to wear the clothes I want to iyswim?

I am rubbish with scarves, I have no idea how to finish an outfit with a jacket etc so any and all advice appreciated. My youngest is 18mo so I am just getting out of my baby induced style rut and loosing my baby weight.

I am a size 16-18, blonde highlights, greeny - blue eyes and short if that helps.

I usually just chuck on my skinnys and a striped long sleeved top and then wonder why I feel like a poor, badly dressed student circa 1995!

SuperFlyHigh Sun 16-Aug-15 12:45:18

It depends what you suit in my opinion re jewellery. Maybe try a couple of statement pieces unlike your Next ones (Accessorize were doing their 70% off sale) and I got a nice silver colour bar necklace from H&M for three quid or so.

for example I got a blue dress with a zig zag pattern from Oasis (Ebay) then got before that a sort of Aztec turquoise zig zag sequin cuff from Accessorize - put it together and it looks great.

Some really nice earrings - can't link but search for Whistles chain silver ones - are pretty but also everyday. I also got a nice pair of silver blue drop earrings from Top Shop that I saw in Grazia. It helps that I like both styles though.

Jackets you need to find what suits you - is it a blazer, denim, leather biker etc, or tweed jacket? once you know just pop that over whatever you're wearing - leather biker goes with lots but e.g. black skinny jeans. If you see a great leather biker jacket that you know you'll wear a lot then get it. I got a fab H&M one about 3 years ago and I wear it a lot. Denim jackets - I got a pale H&M Divided one which is ok but I don't wear it as much as I could so I will look out for a darker more flattering one.

Scarves I can't help there - I don't wear them - again see what you like - is it a silk/chiffon one with flowers or plain or a printed one. try them on with different outfits.

if you know a friend who will shop with you and kids do that occasionally and try on stuff - see what suits you.

Magazines/blogs often good for ideas.

hotCocolepew Sun 16-Aug-15 13:06:03

Infinity scarves are easier to wear, either let them hang long or twist it over your head once IYSWIM?

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Sun 16-Aug-15 20:31:41

Thanks everyone, this evening I got everything out of my wardrobe and have put a few bits together. Debenhams are doing an upto 70% of sale so I have ordered a few bits on there. To make it more complicated I am doing project 333 capsule wardrobe, so I need something that goes with most things.

I have some lovely bits I just need to give myself permission to wear them and stop keeping them for best.

hotCocolepew Sun 16-Aug-15 21:38:25

Funnily enough me and my friend were just talking about keeping things for good, we never go anywhere special to wear them!

Oly5 Mon 17-Aug-15 08:07:23

Ive just bought this. Pricey but goes with everything - work, evenings out, a plain black top and skinnies. Don't be afraid to be bold!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now