Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Something to fix my hair. Want shiny, swishy hair.

(14 Posts)
GingerLemonTea Sat 15-Aug-15 23:06:28

I had very blonde hair as a child up to around late teens when I started to get highlights.
3 years ago I decided to stop colouring my hair.
It's now all natural & is a mousy brown. The colour doesn't seem completely even & I was expecting it to feel in much better condition.
I often let it air dry. Only use straighteners about once a fortnight. I only use Tesco shampoo & conditioner.
Was hoping for hair like Olivia Palermo but just feel drab & dry.
I wash it most days as the roots get greasy. Any recommendations for shampoo & conditioner?

GingerLemonTea Sat 15-Aug-15 23:07:16

Olivia Palermo

Hero1callylost Sat 15-Aug-15 23:13:40

Maybe this VO5 tame and shine spray? I need to wash my hair every day/two as it gets greasy, so this might work for you too.

You only need a little bit, don't overdo it or it'll go greasy! It makes my hair feel lovely and sleek and light.

lavenderhoney Sat 15-Aug-15 23:21:24

I use Argan oil and I watched many a YouTube demo of how to dry it with a hairdryer for that " stepped out of a salon" feelingsmile

Do you want to be blonde again? I was blonde as a child, and my natural colour is dark brown, I seem to remember.

SirChenjin Sat 15-Aug-15 23:25:55

Not shampoo and conditioner, sorry, but if you want shiny swishy hair you need a Babyliss Big Hair (which doesn't actually give you big hair, but does give you shiny, swishy hair..)

ShipShapeAhoy Sat 15-Aug-15 23:28:21

I had really damaged, dry hair from over bleaching and honestly the only thing that will really work is cutting off the dead hair and taking care of the new hair. I got a load cut off and straight away saw a massive improvement, and now I get it trimmed fairly regularly. I'm using loreal elvive nutrigloss high shine shampoo and conditioner atm which seem to be working well for me too, and I have an aussi serum that I use if I blow dry my hair (which I do very rarely and at a low heat).

GingerLemonTea Sat 15-Aug-15 23:56:54

It's all new hair. All the blonde has been cut out & now I'm thinking about going back to blonde as I feel dull!

GingerLemonTea Sat 15-Aug-15 23:58:42

I borrowed my mums BBH but I couldn't really get on with it.
I've got a 3 & 1 yr old so don't have loads of time for me but I just feel like I've let myself go & am trying to get it back.

burnishedsilver Sun 16-Aug-15 00:08:58

Its a safe bet that Olivia Palermo never uses supermarket own brand shampoo and leaves her hair to dry naturally. There's work involved.

Bbh is definately worth a try. A decent quality hairdryer also helps a lot.
I find john freida shampoos and conditioners give me a lovely healthy shine.

SirChenjin Sun 16-Aug-15 10:23:39

You need to blast your hair with a hairdryer until it's almost dry, then use the BBH on sections. A bit of serum and mousse on while it's still wet, and voila.

Agree with burnished - Olivia has had a lot of work done on that hair

SinglePringle Sun 16-Aug-15 10:32:16

My hair is big, bouncy and swishy.

I use a L'Oreal shampoo and conditioner (so not expensive, maybe £5 a bottle?) and leave it to dry for as long as possible (definitely whilst I do my make up). I then put some Phyto serum through it and blast it with the hairdryer. I then put some Kerastase volumizer spray at the roots (lots on the crown) and blast it again. BIG HAIR!!

I then use a BBH - I section my hair round my head. I don't use it on the front (I have a side fringe) but use the hairdryer again at the end to straighten that (round brush). I might use the hairdryer as well to just smooth some of the ends.

Three big curlers in on the crown, spray some hairsrpray.

Finish make up / get dressed then take the rollers out.

Takes me 20 mins or so every day.

GaryBaldy Sun 16-Aug-15 10:35:56

Shiny swishy hair takes time and work.

The BBH works for me, left to it's own devices my hair is straight but frizzy, but even if I let it air dry and then section it and run the BBH through it, it will smooth it out and give it a really good shine.

Happy36 Sun 16-Aug-15 12:33:31

Agree with the previous posters who recommended Moroccan Oil and regular trims.

There is a Lee Stafford product in a hot pink can called Shine Spray which does nothing apart from make your hair shiny. It's not too expensive and I think you can even get a travel size one (from Boots) to try it out.

GingerLemonTea Sun 16-Aug-15 21:39:31

Thanks. Will try out a few of the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: