Talk

Advanced search

Autumn footwear: can you ever wear flats with bootleg jeans??

(15 Posts)
Petal02 Sat 15-Aug-15 09:00:58

so if we're wearing bootlegs jeans this autumn, I've got several pairs of high heeled ankle boots that will work with them. But is there any sort of autumn/winter flat shoes or boots that would be ok? I really can't picture them. For some reason, I'm secretly quite looking forward to wearing bootlegs again, I never found skinny jeans very easy in the winter.

dexter73 Sat 15-Aug-15 09:08:43

I think you can wear flats with bootcuts. Leather trainers look good. The only trouble is if your jeans are long enough to be worn with high heels then they will be too long to be worn with flats.

Tangoandcreditcards Sat 15-Aug-15 09:10:26

Not when it rains...

Bluecheese22 Sat 15-Aug-15 09:10:45

As long as the jeans aren't so long they're on the floor flats are absolutely fine.

burnishedsilver Sat 15-Aug-15 09:21:08

Yes but you'll need different lengths of jeans for different shoes. Zara are even showing them this short.

Petal02 Sat 15-Aug-15 09:22:11

But I assume you can't wear brogues or loafers with bootlegs? Sorry to sound dense.

pomegranatesandfilms Sat 15-Aug-15 09:24:52

So are skinnies completely off the menu? Are the bootcut any different to the mumsy ones? Looking to get some jeans now what should I buy?

burnishedsilver Sat 15-Aug-15 09:41:27

From what I can see, they hight street are calling them flares but they're just rebranded bootcuts.

Fishwives Sat 15-Aug-15 09:54:45

I wear bootcut and flares with biker boots in the winter. I think the key is to wear footwear that's big enough not to be invisible under the hems, and not to drag on the ground.

NewsreaderChic Sat 15-Aug-15 09:57:09

I'm not convinced, the magazines and bloggers were full of this for the summer. They claimed we'd all be wearing flares or bootlegs. I remember a MN thread about a pair found in M&s that were supposed to be fab, like a sheep I bought them and like almost everyone else promptly took them back. The looked terrible. I haven't seen anyone wearing them and I don't think we're quite ready to revisit them.

Obviously I may well be eating my words in six months time, but I won't be rushing out to buy any just yet.

Oly5 Sat 15-Aug-15 10:00:09

I wear ballerinas with boot cutd

TeresaGiudicesForehead Sat 15-Aug-15 10:13:29

In my opinion, no. I always think, unless you are tall, you look like you are standing in a hole.

mummypig3 Sat 15-Aug-15 10:22:20

I used to buy short leg bootcuts for wearing with pumps or sandles and regular for boots, but since wearing skinnys tucked into boots I won't go back cause they used to get soaked at the bottoms in the rain. I'm sticking with skinnys tucked into boots for practical reasons wink

Floisme Sat 15-Aug-15 11:28:40

I must admit I thought there'd be more flares around by now but skinnies took ages to catch on too and (whatever the magasines say) people don't normally make big fashion changes in the summer. I think we'll start seeing them more this winter.

I've always worn them with flats: desert boots in the 70s and last time around, ankle boots (I assume it's where 'mum boots' originated!) trainers and plimsols. I don't see any problem with brogues or loafers as long as the flared bit covers the top of the shoe if you see what I mean. I think it's socks, rather than shoes, that are tricksy.

I concede that you lose the leg-lengthening effect that you get with flare plus heels but I still look less ridiculous in them than I do in skinnies. I won't however be wearing them in the rain which means I'll be in skirts and dresses a lot this winter.

WilburIsSomePig Sat 15-Aug-15 14:25:58

I've always worn them with Converse but that's probably a dreadful faux pas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now