Talk

Advanced search

'Mum' jewellery

(15 Posts)
BoutrosBoutros Fri 14-Aug-15 19:30:30

The last few years have been pretty hard work with a late loss and 2 new babies born. For me, this is the end of my childbearing years and I'd love to get a nice piece of jewellery to mark that.

I've been looking at birthstones and initial jewellery but not seen anything I like. I don't wear much jewellery, and what I do is quite plain and understated. I also like the idea of commemorating the baby we lost in a small way. I just can't seem to find anything which jumps out at me and wondered if anyone has any ideas?

I'm thinking a necklace or bracelet maybe (I'm not likely to wear a ring or earrings) and budget up to about £1k but less is also fine. We have a lovely jeweller locally who could probably make something for me but I'm really lacking inspiration and would be so grateful if anyone has any nice ideas for understated jewellery like that?

LoveVintage Fri 14-Aug-15 19:32:33

Have a look on notonthehighstreet.com - they have lots of jewellery that can be personalised with names, gemstones etc.

FreiasBathtub Fri 14-Aug-15 19:46:58

What a lovely idea! Have you a particular item of jewellery in mind? Something you'll wear every day or more of a special occasion piece? If your style is fairly simple, how about something plain with an engraving or stones set on the inside? I had an eternity ring made by a lovely jeweller and she offered the option of a tiny diamond on the inside as a kind of special secret - I didn't go for it, but always liked the sentiment.

FreiasBathtub Fri 14-Aug-15 19:49:44

Ooh - I've been lusting after this for a while - you could get your jeweller to do something similar but with the three birthstones on the clasp.

http://www.veryexclusive.co.uk/elizabeth-and-james-margaux-sapphire-bangle-gold/1458332813.prd

(Sorry - on the app so no link!)

BoutrosBoutros Fri 14-Aug-15 19:58:55

lovevintage thanks - I've had a look at noths and seen a few bits but nothing grabbed me, will keep browsing.

freias I LOVE that bracelet! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for - nice jewellery that doesn't shout 'Look here I had some kids' but which could be special to me. Thanks so much! I work from home so I suppose I'm looking for something I could wear at weekends etc but definitely not something to only save for real special occasions (few and far between at the moment!)

FreiasBathtub Fri 14-Aug-15 20:14:17

What excellent taste you have Boutros wink I'm so glad you like it. I think it could work really well for the type of wear that you describe.

I'm also a big fan of Dinny Hall for classic stuff: how about something like this with initials engraved on the back, if you fancied a necklace? Did you name the baby you lost? (I meant to say - I'm so sorry - that must have been terribly hard). If not, maybe you could use his or her birthstone?

http://www.dinnyhall.com/necklaces/cushion-chevron-necklace

squizita Fri 14-Aug-15 20:21:12

Smallprint do little tasteful child finger print charms/pendants. I got one for myself for Xmas. Lovely!

measles64 Fri 14-Aug-15 20:30:30

Something you could give to your jeweller for inspiration might be found here. www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=miscarriage+jewelry

BoutrosBoutros Fri 14-Aug-15 20:38:35

freias love that necklace too, and there's a similar bracelet which could be engraved/stones added too. I'm useless at jewellery and only really wear my rings and a couple of antique bits so you can be my jewellery guru from now on!!

measles and squiz thanks for sharing your ideas. They're a bit more overt than I was looking for - I'd rather it was a nice piece of jewellery first and the meaning was more special to me, if you see what I mean?

seaoflove Fri 14-Aug-15 20:40:07

Have a look at Posh Totty Designs. They sell on Not On The High Street as well, but there's a bigger selection on their own website. I have one of their mum necklaces bookmarked smile

seaoflove Fri 14-Aug-15 20:40:46

This one

www.poshtottydesigns.com/for-her/mummies/personalised-silver-and-gold-family-heart-necklace.html

WingsClipped Fri 14-Aug-15 22:08:55

I am looking for a piece/pieces for the same reason sort of reasons as you as well. DD2 arrived a few months ago and she is going to be our last baby so I am looking for something to mark the completion of our family.
I love Monica Vinader and you might be able to find something in her Siren range if you are looking for birthstones: www.monicavinader.com/shop/in-collection/siren-1/sort-by/our-favourites

HermioneWeasley Fri 14-Aug-15 22:11:07

I got a set of two bangles linked together with the kids details on each bangle. It's silver and very simple and classy

FreiasBathtub Sat 15-Aug-15 08:47:03

Boutros, I accept with pleasure grin always happy for an excuse to spend someone else's money!

Come back and let us know what you end up getting!

KatyS36 Sat 15-Aug-15 09:30:03

Nichola Hurst does a piece called seedpods with three silver seedpods. I bought it to symbolise that we were a family of three after suffering secondary infertility. It's beautiful and understated. Could this work? Katy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now