Talk

Advanced search

Early 30s or so? Where do you shop?

(51 Posts)
bluebeanie Fri 14-Aug-15 12:56:05

I feel at an awkward point in my life. Apart from the none ripped jeans in Topshop, places like River Island haven't appealed in years. I find say, Marks and Spencer too frumpy and have the added problem of having short legs so I have difficulty with most jeans/trousers.

I seem to have fallen into a rut of Boden Breton tee shirt and Topshop skinnies for none work.

Anyone else feel a bit lost in the style department? Should I just stick to quality basics and try to perk it up? Dangly jewellery is unfortunately a no go with young ones. Ah!

lolalotta Fri 14-Aug-15 13:46:18

I only go to M&S for the jeggings. I shop at Fat Face in the sale and H&M as its so affordable. I picked up a beautiful Toast style pinstripe tunic from there last week for £14.99... I was chuffed to bits! I'm mid 30s!

SheHasAWildHeart Fri 14-Aug-15 13:53:41

High Street stores - H&M, Dorothy Perkins, Oasis, Zara, Mango. Asda blush

AmberNectarine Fri 14-Aug-15 13:59:59

I'm 30. Basics are mostly topshop, Uniqlo and gap.

More special stuff (mostly shoes, coats, bags) is net a porter, Harvey Nics etc.

mewkins Fri 14-Aug-15 14:05:16

Gap, tk maxx is good for a rummage, Warehouse, some nice knitwear in john lewis weekend and Kin, Fatface, Seasalt for nice cotton tops, etc

Joneseygirl77 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:22:10

High street for me too.
Whistles, reiss, white company, Zara, gap for casual. Occasionally bits from jack Wills but only pieces without jack wills written all over them!
Jigsaw, banana republic, French connection, Zara for work. Sometimes bits from net a porter if I'm feeling flush!
I do a lot of online shopping now I have a toddler as like to try bits on at home and then send them back. Also like places like John Lewis as its all under one roof!

LadyErrant Fri 14-Aug-15 14:25:13

Zara, Mango, H&M, New Look (but much of it doesn't appeal tbh so only find the odd thing). Occasionally visit Gap. I definitely feel lost in the style department and tend to stick to basics so I can't get things too wrong!

orangesandmelons23 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:28:16

I'm 29. I'm okay with what shops to go in (I like H&M, New Look, Primark and Dotty Ps) and which to avoid (I hate M&S, Boden, Gap).

My problem is that I have no idea what to buy in these shops. Some days I end up looking like an over-grown teenager and other days I look like my fucking mother older than I am.

Can people please post some links to outfits/looks/items/styles that they think are good for someone around 30-ish please?

I'm so rubbish at this!

breakfastinbread Fri 14-Aug-15 14:41:42

I am currently re-vamping my wardrobe bit by bit (new professional job and want to start looking a bit more grown up). Deciding to go a bit more "French" in my approach and get a few, really good quality basics and accessories and take it from there. I think at 33 blush I can't follow "fashion" any longer and have to follow what actually suits me (5ft 4 slightly overweight blonde who also suffers with short legs!)

Daytime/casual - skinny jeans/printed trousers with loose fitting T shirt and cardigan, or skirt, smart flat sandals and T shirt. Have fitted jackets in white and black to pair with either of these. Think Reiss, Zara, H&M, occasional piece from Fat face or Joules.

Work - Hobbs/whistles dress. Boden dress if bit more casual. 7/8 trousers with blouse. Heels or more often than not, smart flats.

Bag - Mulberry <stealth boast>, classic colour and shape, works with any outfit to make it look more dressy.

Adopting a new policy of 1 in, about 2 out in the wardrobe and I'm gradually getting there.

Good underwear a must.

MrsAukerman Fri 14-Aug-15 14:46:22

H&M, ASOS Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and John Lewis.
I'm trying to rid my wardrobe of very old stuff that is now looking too teenage for me (I'm 32 but pass for 25). Also going for plain or stripy and more loose items on top rather than tight stretchy things.

Zorion Fri 14-Aug-15 14:55:48

I'm 28 and shop a lot at Boden now, things like their coats, crew neck jumpers, bistro trousers and very occasionally a dress. I avoid prints from them.

Zara but I don't rate the quality, my boys don't last long.

Jack wills has some nice, well cut and good quality thing too.

I don't like whistles or Hobbs as they don't work for my shape (pear) and I find whistles awful quality and customer service.

I buy a lot on eBay, some French connection.

Massimo dutti and petit bateau for the heavy breton jumper/tshirt cross.

Levi's for jeans

BleachedBarnet Fri 14-Aug-15 14:58:00

I'm late 20s and I buy from Zara, Whistles, Cos and then stick with classics for denim so Levis etc. Also wear Scandi brands like Won Hundred/Ganni/& Other Stories.

Lurkedforever1 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:59:31

I find it difficult to get stuff that fits, so mostly anywhere it does. Tkmaxx, h&m, top shop, new look etc. Because I wear a lot of plain basic stuff, I usually smarten it up with a nice bag, good shoes or boots, delicate rather than chunky jewellery, scarves etc. And a smart grown up wool coat for anything smart. Even a plain vest top and dark jeans can look like reasonably smart casual wear with the right accessories.

LBOCS Fri 14-Aug-15 15:04:25

I trawl through White Company, Fat Face, Joules, Boden, White Stuff, East. Sometimes Phase Eight for maxi dresses. I went off Topshop years ago (I swear it used to be cheap?!). I've also started to look in Laura Ashley, I'm not sure if it's because they've revamped their range or I'm getting older... confused

NicoleWatterson Fri 14-Aug-15 15:07:04

www.joythestore.com do some lovely stuff.
My wardrobe is second hand but I do love looking at that site

FreckledLeopard Fri 14-Aug-15 15:15:25

Early 30s and for work I wear Hobbs, Boden and a couple of bits from Zara. I like some bits from M&S. Out of work I tend to wear stuff from charity shops.

stripytees Fri 14-Aug-15 15:28:19

32 and 5ft2. Jeans and trousers Boden petite or M&S short leg.

Otherwise mostly White Stuff, Boden, Seasalt, H&M, TK Maxx and eBay.

Crazyzowhat Fri 14-Aug-15 16:05:11

32 and I buy from new look , h&m , DP's, primark & asda George occasionally x

Oly4 Fri 14-Aug-15 16:05:27

I'm 38 and shop at White Company, Reiss, Boden (non print), Hobbs, Banana Republic + odd thing from Gap, M&S and Monsoon.
I avoid cheap clothes now as they look awful on my figure

SuperFlyHigh Fri 14-Aug-15 16:08:21

my SIL is 32 and shops in Athropologie, H&M, Cos, Zara, &otherstories (but prefers Cos).

her SIL much the same but prefers unique pieces.

WingsClipped Fri 14-Aug-15 16:12:25

Banana republic for work. Practically my entire work wardrobe is from there.

Banana Repulic, Gap, Mango, Zara and occasional gems from H&M and Pull&Bear for casual. Don't do Topshop anymore since they started charging stupid money. Joules for outdoorsy stuff- wellies, raincoat etc.

Designer for bags, accessories and really special shoes because they last years and years and make an outfit look more expensive.

DeandraReynolds Fri 14-Aug-15 16:15:34

I'm 31. Tend to wear H&M, Boden (need somewhere that does petite!), White Stuff, some tops from Fat Face and Monsoon.

DeandraReynolds Fri 14-Aug-15 16:20:46

I get everything from ebay though - primark/asda prices but better quality.

mewkins Sat 15-Aug-15 07:42:17

Oh also Esprit and Great Plains are pretty good. Esprit especially for basics of good quality.

KitKat1985 Sat 15-Aug-15 08:23:33

I'm on a rather tight budget so tend to go High St - I find Dorothy Perkins, H&M, New Look (sometimes) and Primark are good. I used to go to Next quite a lot but their clothes the past year or so have been horrible - really old fashioned and boring. I like the clothes on the Boden website but they seem pretty expensive to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now