Talk

Advanced search

What shoes will a toddler wear in autumn/winter?

(15 Posts)
FelixFelix Fri 14-Aug-15 08:05:33

Dd is almost 20 months but has only been walking properly for a couple of weeks. She's got some of those canvas Doodles shoes from Clarks. The weather is rubbish here and it's starting to feel like autumn already, so I've been thinking about shoes for autumn/winter.

I know that she will grow out of them quite quickly, but what sort of shoes should I put her in when it starts to get cold and wet? Is it worth getting a couple of pairs each time (like some Mary Jane type shoes and a pair of boots) or not? I don't really want to spend loads of money on different shoes when she will grow out of them quickly. I'm guessing wellies would be a good idea too. Sorry if this is a stupid question blush

SquidTableau Fri 14-Aug-15 08:10:19

Not stupid, it's hard to know which ones are best value for money when little feet grow so fast. I went for one pair of Mary Janes for warmer days, a pair of DM boots for colder ones (off eBay, cheaper than a lot of clarks or start rite there) and a pair of wellies that were slightly bigger and worn with thick welly socks to start with to get most use out of them but only used in the rain as o don't think wellies are that good for growing feet!

Wishful80smontage Fri 14-Aug-15 08:16:50

I got dd some boots from clarks last year that lasted a while they were suede look ones in brown - went with skirts and tights and over leggings so got a lot of wear out if them.

FelixFelix Fri 14-Aug-15 08:17:34

Weirdly I've just been looking at DM'a on eBay grin

I actually really struggled in Clarks to find anything I liked for her, so that's why she ended up with the doodle shoes. They are plain red with tiny white hearts on. I'm more a fan of plain leather traditional styles for 'proper' shoes, or DM's, Vans etc as its what I'd wear (I've resisted so far as its been drilled in to me by my mother that toddlers need 'properly fitting shoes' from Clarks etc).

I suppose I need to find somewhere else to shop other than Clarks!!

Bigger wellies with thick socks is a good idea. She would just be wearing them for short walks in the rain so not that often. She's recently discovered puddles and last time her feet got wet through.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 14-Aug-15 08:20:14

Check out Livie & Luca for lovely boots for winter, I have a ds but love looking at their girls stuff.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 14-Aug-15 08:21:31

I just had a look myself and they haven't put boots up yet, probably will end of the month

BeaufortBelle Fri 14-Aug-15 08:22:04

I would buy a pair of simple leather shoes for now, properly fitted Clarks or Start rite and a pair of cheap and cheerful wellies. That should see her through to nearer Christmas when I'd probably go for a sturdier, more closed in shoe - and new wellies.

Hopefully you'll have lots of choice. My DD was an H fitting with a high instep and we could have Alexandra by Start rite sad. Not sure if it's much better now tbh. In the summer she had mini Birkies!

Hardtoknow Fri 14-Aug-15 08:23:14

Start rite do more traditional styles &, if there is an independent shoe shop near you, they'll have all sorts of different brands. DD used to just have "proper" shoes (ie leather ones from Clarks or similar) and a pair of wellies. Shoes for going to nursery (where another pair of wellies lived), toddler groups, to friends' houses etc. Wellies for everything else. Wellies were often taken with us to friends' houses as they'd usually end up outside at some point however vile the weather was.

MissRainbowBrite Fri 14-Aug-15 08:26:35

Every winter so far DD has had a pair of Geox trainers, some wellies and some leather ankle boots. She's had Bobux and Startrite so far, both have been excellent. They are good all through autumn and winter and go with lots of clothes. Find your local independent shoe shop who will have lots of lovely choices.

trilbydoll Fri 14-Aug-15 08:26:38

Bobux or Pediped are nice soft leather shoes, DD always has Velcro trainer style ones. She's got some cheap wellies at the moment, they're literally just for puddles, she can't walk properly in them at all!

FelixFelix Fri 14-Aug-15 08:29:49

That's good then! So I should be able to get away with a pair of shoes then some wellies. Now I need to search for a nice pair of wellies that aren't sparkly or character ones! I'm making the most of dressing her how I want before she is able to have an opinion over her clothes and wants Peppa Pig or Disney everything grin

Will look at the suggestions, thank you. I'm sure there will be an independent shoe shop somewhere close by.

FelixFelix Fri 14-Aug-15 08:35:20

I've just looked at Start Rite and there's some really nice shoes but they are so pricey shock I suppose I'll just have to get over it until she's old enough to not grow out of shoes every couple of months!

Vatersay Fri 14-Aug-15 08:39:29

Your Mum is correct about getting her shoes correctly fitted. We use in dependant children's show shops as they tend to be better at fitting them and have a better range if styles than Clarks.

What she wears is far less important than the fit.

At that age my two had a pair of leather shoes and some wellies.

They can grow out of their shoes in8 weeks at that age so I never thought it was worth buying multiple pairs if shoes.

TheBookofRuth Fri 14-Aug-15 08:50:14

Do you have a Schuh anywhere near you? They measure kids' feet and sell little Vans and Converse.

mejon Fri 14-Aug-15 13:56:03

There's an outlet section on the Start Rite website where they have good reductions - especially in smaller sizes. You can print out a measuring gauge to get the right size as their sizes aren't the same as Clarks (but I can't remember if they're smaller or bigger!). I wouldn't go for too many different pairs too soon. I'm lucky that both my DDs have very slow growing feet (DD1 has worn the same school shoes all year) but many children's feet grow very quickly so it can get expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now