Talk

Advanced search

Jeans - where do I find "just normal" jeans - like they used to be?

(27 Posts)
kazzawazzawo0 Thu 13-Aug-15 22:17:58

I'm between size 14 and 16, usually size 14 on the bottom half and gradually losing weight. I'm fed up of skinny jeans, jeggings, straight leg jeans that are just plain and boring, bootcut jeans, flared ... I just want some normal jeans, like they used to be before lycra, when they were either Levis or Lee or Wrangler ....

My measurements are big busted, then 35 inch waist and 41 inch widest part around bum. I have quite a tummy a lot of the time sad

I don't feel any of the jeans flatter me. I have reasonably long legs, I think a bit of a high waist ... I don't like crew neck Ts because of the big boobs, I can't find flattering jeans. I'm scared to try boyfriend jeans because I'll probably look huge.

Anyone been in a similar situation and found flattering jeans?

I don't get into town much, no good local shops except a small DP and New Look. I don't mind ordering online and trying on. I've worn DP jeans in the past, but they don't flatter me at the moment.

Ideas for longish deep scoop necked tops would be great too!

I'm trying to figure out what type of jeans you mean.

Ones that aren't tight but kinda taper in? If so, I believe they are now called 'mum jeans' (yes, by the shops!). Or there are new 'girlfriend jeans' but I have no idea what they are.

I think all jeans have to have a name now confused

kazzawazzawo0 Thu 13-Aug-15 22:44:33

I just don't want them to be skintight with lots and lots of lycra, because it shows every bump! But equally I want them to be comfortable to wear .... Maybe I just need to be 18 again! grin

I guess I mean somewhere between skinny and straight, but not clinging ...

I don't know what girlfriend jeans are either. I'll look into it ...

NeverNic Thu 13-Aug-15 22:58:56

Girlfriend jeans are a relaxed fit but a slimmer leg. Haven't tried a pair but probably fit your brief. Marks do them

kazzawazzawo0 Fri 14-Aug-15 02:20:55

Hmm seems they're ankle grazers. I'd prefer full length.

Blowninonabreeze Fri 14-Aug-15 08:54:04

What's your budget?
not your daughters jeans are very flattering but aren't cheap and if your currently losing weight you may not wish to spend that much?

Also Levi curve

Dollydewdrop21 Fri 14-Aug-15 09:02:41

I feel your pain! I am of a similar size and shape and pretty much given up on jeans. I have tried boyfriend jeans in the past and they are ok. Have a look at New Look in their larger lady section (which starts at a 14) they seem to have more 'normal' jeans there and I have been lucky in the past.

florascotia Fri 14-Aug-15 09:18:34

If you don't mind ordering from the USA, try LLBean who do very trad/preppy clothes including trad style jeans. Quality is good and long-lasting, IME. But (a) check sizing - US is not the same as UK and (b) NB that customs duties will be added to prices shown, though you'll be quoted an all-inclusive total before you check out. Also (c) the clothes are very far from fashionable - though for certain basics, that's sometimes a good thing.

kazzawazzawo0 Fri 14-Aug-15 09:42:30

Thanks for the suggestions. My budget is pretty low tbh, definitely not stretcing to NYDJ at the moment! I'll look on Ebay though.

Bluecheese22 Fri 14-Aug-15 09:44:28

Have you tried relaxed skinnys? Sounds like they fit your brief... They're the style of skinny jeans but a loosed fit.

MarvinKMooney Fri 14-Aug-15 09:49:18

I like Real Straight jeans from Gap: not skinny, looser around the lower leg / ankle, but still fitted enough around the bum / thigh to give a bit of shape.

They're mud rise which I find is flatterING. There is a touch of lycra (I think they all have it these days), but they're by no means stretchy.

If you sign up to gap emails, there are regular 30% off vouchers. You can order online too.

MarvinKMooney Fri 14-Aug-15 09:50:05

Mud rise?! MID rise! confused

kazzawazzawo0 Fri 14-Aug-15 11:47:30

Blue, are there any relaxed skinnys you'd recommend?

Mid rise is ok, as long as my muffin top doesn't bulge out too much blush

Mimigolightly Fri 14-Aug-15 11:50:43

Go to Gap - they have loads of different styles and you can always find a discount code for them to use in store or online.

hookedonamoonagedaydream Fri 14-Aug-15 11:52:14

I accidentally bought these thinking that they were skinny (I didn't try them on in the shop). I'm keeping them, it turn out I have some already in a different colour, they are not too tight but neat enough to wear in the rain. Not too much stretch to go out of shape.

DarylDixonsDarlin Fri 14-Aug-15 12:11:58

Did you see the fat face contour slim jeans discussed on here a couple of weeks ago? That's what I wear day to day. Not skinnies but slim enough to tuck into my boots, not a ridiculously low waist either. Pricey if you wont be in them long due to weight loss tho? And yes I like Next relaxed skinnies too, I've shrunk out of mine and haven't sorted a new pair yet!

kazzawazzawo0 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:19:21

They look nice. Can't find them in a size 14 though sad

Millymollymama Fri 14-Aug-15 12:22:41

I thin Gap do so may styles so you would find something to fit and with the right leg width. I buy NYDJ jeans. Pricey but they fit. I have a tummy but they really do make you feel better! I don't really fo a size down as they say, but it depends on the cut. My local John Lewis is selling them.

hookedonamoonagedaydream Fri 14-Aug-15 12:29:48

The FF ones to come up big though, I usually size down.

hookedonamoonagedaydream Fri 14-Aug-15 12:31:06

I should have written 'always', not usually.

kazzawazzawo0 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:47:59

Oh ok, I might wait a couple of weeks then and try a size 12!

Bluecheese22 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:51:07

I like the ones from next, they come in lots of different colours but are quite generous and do give so I get a 10 which are a little snug for the first wear but are perfect after that.

bluesbaby Fri 14-Aug-15 14:37:26

Levis have straight cut and boot cut, looser around the calf, not skin tight on the thigh but not baggy either. Just sortof skimming the body shape and making the legs look straighter rather than "chicken leg" shaped. I have a pair of faded black levis mid-rise, straight legs which look great and are super comfy, with very little lycra. There is a little bit in them, I guess it has to for ladies because we vary in shape so much more than men, but it's a lot stiffer than jeggings for sure.

kazzawazzawo0 Fri 14-Aug-15 14:46:35

Thanks bluesbaby, do you know what the style is called and I'll have a look?

bluesbaby Fri 14-Aug-15 16:14:09

Demi curve straight / slim jeans

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now